Canadian Premier League

ted

22 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

How can you claim a "Canadian league" nowadays if its not coast to coast.  Its like the CPSL days, where they called themselves "Canadian Professional Soccer League" even though they were Ontario centric.  Jesus have some of you not been following Canadian Soccer over the last 30 years.  Its why we're still in this rut

Look out elderly person saying "get off of my lawn, you haven't followed for 30 years, you can't have a different opinion than me. Yell at clouds" 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Look out elderly person saying "get off of my lawn, you haven't followed for 30 years, you can't have a different opinion than me. Yell at clouds" 

He is right about the league needing to get into BC sooner rather than later, because it does look good, but it can claim the national league status without it.

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

I'm sorry but no.  The CFL almost died im the 1990's and it survived not because its a "Canadian" league, it survived because of marketing and American expansion money, whether you like to admit or not.  The ex-CFL commissioner even stated on record that if it wasn't for the US expansion money, league would've folded up.  Their TSN deal and new marketing targeting Canadian nationalism, which coincidentally was done by a US firm, led to the league becoming "cool" again amongst the younger demographics.  I follow the CFL, better than you it seems ;)

We were never arguing any of these points... We were talking about what makes the CFL Canadian, it is Canadian because it is in this country. If it was in the US it would be American, if it was in China it would be Chinese. This is exactly how the CPL will be defined as Canadian. It will be made up of teams in Canada and will have a quota that insures Canadian players have jobs. I'm sure everything you said is true, but it simply has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

By his own logic neither MLS nor the A-League can claim anything more than regional status. MLS fails to covers Alaska and Hawaii (this could be excused maybe with his logic) and A-League ignores the Northern Territory despite Darwin being larger than some of their target markets.

Or the NHL, NFL, MLB, etc

17 minutes ago, matty said:

He is right about the league needing to get into BC sooner rather than later, because it does look good, but it can claim the national league status without it.

I'm fairly sure they don't plan to ignore BC forever lol. Will it be national if the Yukon doesn't get a team? Just tired of the Mr pessimistics grasping at straws to discredit it especially when the full details aren't released. They might be right and it may fail but FFS give it a chance

38 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not really interested in jumping on this grenade of a conversation, but I just want to clarify what your point is...

Challenging MLS markets = awful business plan

Not being in BC = awful business plan

Which is it? Or is all of BC not locked down by the Whitecaps now?

I'm not sure you need to "Challenge" in the MLS markets.  I think it's very possible to occupy the same marketplace as MLS (ie Toronto, Vancouver & Montreal) without challenging them as it were.  But yes, a complicated business. 

That being said I'm good with leaving BC (or Vancouver at least) to the Whitecaps for the foreseeable future.  Toronto & Montreal not so much, at least in the short term.  Especially Toronto.  Know people hate hearing that but I feel it to be true. 

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I'm not sure you need to "Challenge" in the MLS markets.  I think it's very possible to occupy the same marketplace as MLS (ie Toronto, Vancouver & Montreal) without challenging them as it were.  But yes, a complicated business. 

Oh I agree, I was just wanting clarification on what seemed to be contradictory positions

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It was mentioned in conversation that the AGM for the CSA would be on May 6th.

May 6th.  36 days, now that we're just after midnight in the east.  We can do this.

You jinxed it. No CPL until 2118.

It's staggering to me that there are so called Canadian soccer fans who talk about how long they've been a fan and then shit on the CPL at every opportunity. This is despite the fact that this is more credible than ever, with credible soccer people involved, credible promotors involved and credible business people involved. What's the end game? Come back here in 5 or 10 years and say "I told you so!" If it doesn't work? Okay great, point taken, now move on.

20 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It's staggering to me that there are so called Canadian soccer fans who talk about how long they've been a fan and then shit on the CPL at every opportunity. This is despite the fact that this is more credible than ever, with credible soccer people involved, credible promotors involved and credible business people involved. What's the end game? Come back here in 5 or 10 years and say "I told you so!" If it doesn't work? Okay great, point taken, now move on.

But the USL or NASL is our only hope :)

insert Princess Leia talking to R2D2 here

Also not credible because Rollins and Totera have talked about it lol

I find this tidbit from the Q&A section of the Halifax meeting interesting 

"Q – Where do you intend to draw players from for league startup?

Paul – The composition of this league will be different in the first year, the 5th and the 10th. Initially they’ll have to depend more on import players but they do intend on having a max allotment of import players. The number is flexible. 50% was a number floated out there. The league will have to balance salary, quality and development. They don’t intend on attracting 3rd division players in Europe and South America because they won’t be high enough quality for the expected level of play. They will be targeting 1st and 2nd division players, especially Canadians who will now have a chance to blossom and develop in their own backyard.

The intended composition of the league will be drawn from existing Canadian pros playing in other leagues, high performance youth playing in Canada and the US and international players. Paul stated that from his experience, the best value for the dollar comes from South and Central American players. The league will have to balance developing players and ensuring a high quality performance on the pitch. Ultimately, long-term goal is to have teams developing high performance players from their own communities."

I am taking this from here: https://www.hfxwanderers.ca/single-post/2017/03/30/Recap-of-Information-Session

41 minutes ago, BradMack said:

The intended composition of the league will be drawn from existing Canadian pros playing in other leagues, high performance youth playing in Canada and the US and international players. Paul stated that from his experience, the best value for the dollar comes from South and Central American players. The league will have to balance developing players and ensuring a high quality performance on the pitch. Ultimately, long-term goal is to have teams developing high performance players from their own communities."

I am taking this from here: https://www.hfxwanderers.ca/single-post/2017/03/30/Recap-of-Information-Session

Alright @Ansem I think it's safe to say this could either way. Wanna bet a beer on whether the league is full of solid Latin players or US talent?

42 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I find this tidbit from the Q&A section of the Halifax meeting interesting 

"Q – Where do you intend to draw players from for league startup?

Paul – The composition of this league will be different in the first year, the 5th and the 10th. Initially they’ll have to depend more on import players but they do intend on having a max allotment of import players. The number is flexible. 50% was a number floated out there. The league will have to balance salary, quality and development. They don’t intend on attracting 3rd division players in Europe and South America because they won’t be high enough quality for the expected level of play. They will be targeting 1st and 2nd division players, especially Canadians who will now have a chance to blossom and develop in their own backyard.

FUCK YEA

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

I'm fairly sure they don't plan to ignore BC forever lol. Will it be national if the Yukon doesn't get a team? Just tired of the Mr pessimistics grasping at straws to discredit it especially when the full details aren't released. They might be right and it may fail but FFS give it a chance

oh we're getting a fucking team bro :P

Whitehorse FC will be the stallion that mounts the world!

11 minutes ago, matty said:

I think it's safe to say this could either way. Wanna bet a beer on whether the league is full of solid Latin players or US talent?

I'll take latin players....US no. Not being carnal or anything, but they just don't offer anything different from the pools we can currently grab from, unless they're the seasoned MLS vets (which they wouldn't be worth it)

Some Canadian Uni and College teams are on par with the top NCAA teams, so lets start from there.

12 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'll take latin players....US no. Not being carnal or anything, but they just don't offer anything different from the pools we can currently grab from, unless they're the seasoned MLS vets (which they wouldn't be worth it)

Some Canadian Uni and College teams are on par with the top NCAA teams, so lets start from there.

I agree the CPL should go after Canadian college talent first and get people not being big on US talent but think, after Canadians, Americans will be the biggest single block of players in the CPL. Not saying the league will be packed to the brim with them but they'll be sizeable.

Think we'll see more of them as bench players and in defensive positions.

If I had to guess a game day 18 with 1/3 as Canadian
Canada - 6 or more
USA - 4-5
Latin - 3-4
Other - 2-4

Not factoring DPs yet

32 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Um, no they're not. Not even close. You would know this after watching 15 minutes of a CIS match and 15 minutes of two average NCAA teams. Sorry to say this, but it is true...

Archived