Canadian Premier League

ted

2 minutes ago, FreeAgent said:

I think teams can get away with having 20-22 contracts ($1-$1.1M for smaller teams) - perhaps through Loan deals or Youth contracts. So there would be some opportunity to control the budget that way. 

10 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Heard player budget will start off at 1.5M, they want a level of play higher than USL/NASL.

say 28 man roster... average player salary of 53k... not great, where does that compare to USL ?

I think we're all forgetting that this league will be following the MLS model. In MLS only the first 20 players count against the cap and I suspect only players 1-20 in the CPL will count against the cap as well (averaging around $75k).

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Ansem said:

Can we stop presuming we know what billionaires intends to do with their money?:P

If a CPL Toronto owner wants to overpay to get the best staff and most talented players he can find so he can bring a championship before TFC does, who are we to assume that he won't do that so he can put his team on the media map right from the get go? 

If you're looking at making money from day 1 and controlling costs as much as possible, you're in the wrong business. It's safe to assume that those who jumped in aren't afraid to spend and lose money at first...

It crap on the pitch and people will treat as such. Put quality and people will treat it as such. They are billionaires for a reason

The CPL cannot be successful as a League operating in a SBU models.  Only as a SE Model. 

So a CPL Toronto Owner has to operate within the Business Framework of the League to be successful.

36 minutes ago, matty said:

I think we're all forgetting that this league will be following the MLS model. In MLS only the first 20 players count against the cap and I suspect only players 1-20 in the CPL will count against the cap as well (averaging around $75k).

The model of a Successful league in Canada and America. Agree with you there that is the present Business model. 

9 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Interested to see how that works for the first season they pay them a full season salary for half the season? Otherwise how the heck do you sign players?

man this is awesome. 

If they go the cheap or the economical way the League will flop, it all depends on the Salary the Canadian Premier League will offer.

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:
...or maybe the Ticats and CSA both think they are ultimately calling the shots and have differing ideas of where this is headed?

Or the most common answer: people who are not actually insiders and claiming to be. it happens fairly often and we've seen it regarding the CPL already.

This is the conspiratorial stuff people have called you on. You're taking a tiny bit of info (some "insiders" are contracting each other) and running wild with it (the major players involved are not at all on the same page this close to their self-imposed zero hour).

I was thinking about the great partial news from Halifax, and the teams mentioned....and thought, hmmmm not one big city on launch, how the hell are they going to get a TV deal. 

Also having Halifax Wanderers vs Winnipeg Armada awfully will sound amateurish or OHLish if they never play any teams from the big 3.....but that's just my opinion

1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I was thinking about the great partial news from Halifax, and the teams mentioned....and thought, hmmmm not one big city on launch, how the hell are they going to get a TV deal. 

Also having Halifax Wanderers vs Winnipeg Armada awfully will sound amateurish or OHLish if they never play any teams from the big 3.....but that's just my opinion

Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa aren't big cities?

Given the horrible TV numbers for MLS, I can't see them getting a new TV that will improve dramatically on the $90m USD they are getting now, where the per club take will diminish as new clubs are added. Some of the highest numbers in MLS TV are the Canadian derbies, where we approach low-end CFL numbers. You'd think at some point adding the Caps, TFC, and Impact would have a business case for both parties if you could get TV money anywhere near the $40m CFL deal. I guess these clubs are getting their share of $100m USD expansion fees, but you'd think they could also divest their MLS franchise for something approaching this and get into the CPL for a much lower cost. Kerfoot and Saputo are just cheap enough to consider this I suspect.

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

If Rollins is right and it is Katz... Good news

But Sandor is pretty solid IMO, and if he says he's got good sources both saying the opposite, I don't think we can bank on a Katz Group yet. Will be interesting to see unfold

As far as ownership groups go, the OEG are only ones who have shown a killer instinct in getting what they want. If it's the OEG behind a bid, they'll be successful, and will eventually crush FCE in this market, without a doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

population speaking they are. But I was more referring to media markets.

They're not major but there is noted media in CPL cities. Shaw (which owns Corus) is based in Edmonton and East Link is based in Halifax. Channels including TLN (who are friendly with the CSA), EuroWorld Sport and best of all Global are owned by companies based in a CPL city. Also you've got CHCH in Hamilton which is in 5million homes.

33 minutes ago, matty said:

....You're taking a tiny bit of info (some "insiders" are contracting each other) and running wild with it (the major players involved are not at all on the same page this close to their self-imposed zero hour).

No, I offered an alternative explanation and framed it as a question as a way of pointing out that Steven Sandor's deduction that people are guessing wasn't the only one that could be made. The wildly differing lists that have been appearing of supposedly interested markets expected to be involved has also been a bit weird of late, so there is more than one tiny bit of info at this point.

The core group appears to probably be: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Halifax

You then get to six or eight with either Edmonton/Ottawa or Victoria/Saskatoon/London/Quebec City and that would probably take the league in radically different directions that would fit people being briefed about differing preferred outcomes depending on which insider is doing the talking.

13 minutes ago, ThatDaveCh said:

As far as ownership groups go, the OEG are only ones who have shown a killer instinct in getting what they want. If it's the OEG behind a bid, they'll be successful, and will eventually crush FCE in this market, without a doubt. 

Hm. I'm torn, I'm obviously excited if there is some big money in Edmonton (IF), but I don't want to see Edmonton pushed out. Hopefully there's more to this story

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Hm. I'm torn, I'm obviously excited if there is some big money in Edmonton (IF), but I don't want to see Edmonton pushed out. Hopefully there's more to this story

I think it's inevitable. This market isn't big enough to draw for two teams, and the OEG has resources beyond the reach of FCE, along with some goodwill and familiarity in this city. As well, FCE has kind of failed to establish loyalty in this city, I doubt many outside of the supporters groups would be upset with their demise.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That wasn't quite my read on it.  I think the core group all along was Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Ottawa.

It seemed like they were always looking for those next 2-4 franchises to fill it out.  FE Edmonton was always out (very publicly).  Halifax is more of a recent emergence as a solid #5.

Then there was this list of other markets at various stages of rumour and interest that was very cloudy.

The part that surprised everyone this week was a supposedly solid Edmonton as a #6 that has gotten everyone excited and it sounds like it's not FC Edmonton but some other group.  I trust Sandor on this since he was the voice of FC Edmonton so would be in the know.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

That wasn't quite my read on it.  I think the core group all along was Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Ottawa.

Possible, but Rollins and co seemed quite upset about the USL move late last year and didn't seem to see it as part of the plan, so I don't think it's clear cut yet that the Fury are on board. In the here and now I am comparing the Halifax powerpoint presentation with the Moncton newspaper story list and the four that are shared in common between the two are Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Halifax.

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No, I offered an alternative explanation and framed it as a question as a way of pointing out that Steven Sandor's deduction that people are guessing wasn't the only one that could be made. The wildly differing lists that have been appearing of supposedly interested markets expected to be involved has also been a bit weird of late, so there is more than one tiny bit of info at this point.

You then get to six or eight with either Edmonton/Ottawa or Victoria/Saskatoon/London/Quebec City and that would probably take the league in radically different directions.

An alternative explanation that paints a picture of MASS disconnect between possible ownership and the CSA. There is very little to suggest such a disconnect exists. Everyone who is public seems on board with the same ideas. There might be debate about CanCon but the larger things (dates, number of teams, season length, style of model) appear to be settled on.

Sandor isn't talking to his usual sources but is instead being approached by randoms that he doesn't trust and is venting about how they're making his covering of the story harder. He isn't posting this because it's news but rather because it's annoying the shit out of him.

You're likely right about the core launch groups but there's also been a lot of talk about Edmonton and Ottawa (even after it seemed both were off the market) while the other 4 you mentioned haven't gotten much play from the mainstream sources. The only city that I think is a total shock not to be there is Regina which many felt was 50/50 like Ottawa and Edmonton (Toronto also seemed 50/50).

31 minutes ago, ThatDaveCh said:

I think it's inevitable. This market isn't big enough to draw for two teams, and the OEG has resources beyond the reach of FCE, along with some goodwill and familiarity in this city. As well, FCE has kind of failed to establish loyalty in this city, I doubt many outside of the supporters groups would be upset with their demise.

I hope it is OEG and for the good of the league, it would be for the best. FCE aren't letting go of NASL and there's no point nor business sense for CPL to lock themselves out of Edmonton to wait for FCE to join. I think they are in danger of missing the boat and it will bite them hard if it is indeed OEG. If I was OFFC, i'd make up my mind sooner rather than later because Melnyk could want in at anytime and he's rich enough to make a SSS on LeBreton Flats happen right next to the new Senators Arena.

Archived