Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

And yet its still 5 years and counting for the CPL launch.  At this rate, the Women could win a world cup by the time they launch.

Is that what is bothering you two so much? The fact that this is not moving along fast enough? Or is it that you're worried that it will actually happen and then be forced to feed each other crow washed down with a cup of humility? I have no doubt you both are very passionate about the sport  but you expend so much effort shooting down any positive news about this upcoming league or twisting it to suit your US based views of the soccer world that quite frankly it is extremely insulting and offputting. I realize that a lot(if not most) of what is posted in this thread is pure speculation by a bunch of passionate CANADIAN soccer fans...myself included...but why does it offend you so much that you feel a need to shoot everything down immediately. Anyways...nuff said...I look forward to both your apologies to everyone else here when the league is officially announced.

It offends as you say because they have no faith in the CSA to pull this off or for rich owners to put up with potential loses for an extended period of time thus setting us back another generation plus and that jumping on the USL or NASL is the only possible solution.

if this is wrong please let me know

Mike aka pro CPL centralist/realist

4 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

just gonna go ahead and change the subject(at least until we get any other real news)

top 5 ice cream flavours.

go

don't you dare say rum raisin you filthy degenerates

rum raisin times 5

49 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

just gonna go ahead and change the subject(at least until we get any other real news)

top 5 ice cream flavours.

go

don't you dare say rum raisin you filthy degenerates

Any 100% cream made into vanilla flavour with Grand Marnier or Legendario Rum poured over it.

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm mean, no offence, but neither of us has a window into Katz's mind. I'm happy to see this play out, anyone pronouncing absolutes at this point is jumping to conclusions 

I also wouldn't read too much into efforts to reach out before the announcement. It seems clear that they want to control the flow of information and the way the league will be presented pretty tightly 

I 100% agree... But looking at the evidence, it doesn't seem that there is much interest. Katz hasn't really expressed much interest in sports other than hockey it seems... Capitals (Baseball) pretty much died out, with little to no interest in relaunching them at any point. There were rumours of a basketball team, but that's gone nowhere far too. Hell, I could even say that his interest in the Oilers wasn't much more than hanging with the old greats of the 80s, until they stumbled across one of the best players in this generation, but that would make me sound sour ;)

From what I've heard, his interest hasn't gone anywhere to any sort of sustainability. If you look at most FCEd supporters on the idea of Katz joining CPL, there's a lot of reservation and shock... He just wouldn't have Canadian players interests at heart. Fath on the other hand has made it VERY clear (and continues to do so... Just heard a story of him presenting to a bunch of well-to-do Edmonton businesspeople) that he wants to further the sport in Edmonton and Canada (which I would argue he is doing through the excellent academy that FCEd has grown).

I'd also suggest that while support is being encouraged by various sports teams across the country (ok mostly eastern Canada), there's been little to ZERO news or excitement in Edmonton about it. I don't see why it would be so tightly contained here while at the same time, there's a open line of communication in Eastern Canada about it. If I've heard about the league leaders approaching FCEd, then I'm sure I would have heard SOME rumblings about potential team owners reaching out to supporters, but there's been literally nothing. I've legit heard Edmonton supporters speculate that CPL could provide a level where the FCEd reserves could play. Just tells you where the idea of this league is in town.

Personal opinion is that these Edmonton rumours are one of two things. 1) a tactic to scare up some attention from the FCEd ownership into the CPL or 2) just a poor presentation that we're all freaking out about. I suppose a combo of the two is possible as well hahaha. I do feel that if the first is true, I'm worried about the CPL. I really want to see it succeed, but if its struggling to attract ownership, and its taking this tactic, then its concerning. I don't think it NEEDS Edmonton to succeed, and vice versa. I'd MUCH rather see it launch (sans Edmonton), grow and become stable, then work Edmonton into the fold when its the clear choice.

14 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I was thinking about the great partial news from Halifax, and the teams mentioned....and thought, hmmmm not one big city on launch, how the hell are they going to get a TV deal. 

Also having Halifax Wanderers vs Winnipeg Armada awfully will sound amateurish or OHLish if they never play any teams from the big 3.....but that's just my opinion

The only thing amateurish about that would be calling a team from The Praries "Armada."  

7 hours ago, jedinathan said:

I'd also suggest that while support is being encouraged by various sports teams across the country (ok mostly eastern Canada), there's been little to ZERO news or excitement in Edmonton about it. I don't see why it would be so tightly contained here while at the same time, there's a open line of communication in Eastern Canada about it...

That angle also raises question about Winnipeg and to a lesser extent Calgary. For example, why would the fan group that has formed in Winnipeg have had no encouragement from the would be local owners similar to what has happened in Hamilton and Halifax when a 2018 launch is still being talked about? Can see why they might prefer to keep it quiet if there was a longer lead in time involved, but not when the signing of letters of intent is said to be imminent and the first front office hires should be being made.

7 hours ago, jedinathan said:

Personal opinion is that these Edmonton rumours are one of two things. 1) a tactic to scare up some attention from the FCEd ownership into the CPL ...... I do feel that if the first is true, I'm worried about the CPL. I really want to see it succeed, but if its struggling to attract ownership, and its taking this tactic, then its concerning...

That's what a lot of the stuff from Rollins and Totera like the fabled GTA billionaire and the top Euro team angle has looked like for a long time. An attempt to create a buzz of excitement that will draw in attention from would be owners.

20 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I was thinking about the great partial news from Halifax, and the teams mentioned....and thought, hmmmm not one big city on launch, how the hell are they going to get a TV deal.

...or onto the various sports highlight roundups every evening on mainstream cable channels. At that point how much is a jersey or league sponsorship worth? I guess from what's being said we shouldn't read too much into the Halifax powerpoint presentation, so there may still be a GTA angle to help keep the national level English-language media interested and a team in the province of Quebec in the works, so the league isn't a complete write-off in French-language media terms. Otherwise, it's difficult to see how a big budget approach on an NASL scale of operations could actually work in practice.

The obvious alternative niche that could also be filled and seemed to be hinted at recently by the list of interested markets in the Moncton newspaper angle is providing a longer season format for the present day and former PDL teams in smaller cities that isn't oriented towards the needs of the NCAA, but the Ticats don't want to be seen as minor league in anything they do, so it's easy to see why that's not happening. 

https://the11.ca/oilers-canpl-not-on-our-radar/

So, today, I asked the Oilers Entertainment Group point-blank about their involvement with the Canadian Premier League. And the statement:

“We are not in discussions and it’s not on our radar.”

Should be easy enough for journalists in Calgary, Winnipeg and Ottawa to do something similar. Hopefully whoever covers the soccer beat in these cities will see an opportunity for an easy article and will make the effort to find out definitively what's happening there as well.

Hey all, I interviewed Tyler Pasher from SKC a week or so back-the interview is now online at NSXI. I was able to talk to him specifically about the CPL and the domestic rules, their impact on Canadian soccer. If you don't feel like reading the whole interview-the CPL-pertinent stuff is contained in the last 4-5 paragraphs:

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/tyler-pashers-journey-to-skc-why-canadians-needs-cpl/

On 3/29/2017 at 7:24 AM, Futballer said:

This wont work for the CPL. Salary has to be a Full time Job salary.

Yes... and at the same time... no.

The CPL should be paying "full time" wages for the pre-season, regular-season, and post-season (if there is one). They don't need to be paying full time wages all year round for all players. I would expect average/utility players to have to get other work for the off-season. At least until the league is more mature.

19 minutes ago, ted said:

Yes... and at the same time... no.

The CPL should be paying "full time" wages for the pre-season, regular-season, and post-season (if there is one). They don't need to be paying full time wages all year round for all players. I would expect average/utility players to have to get other work for the off-season. At least until the league is more mature.

CPL  cannot resort to a pay per basis on pre-season to regular season or post season, all players should be contracted for a full year term or 12 months and be available to the  club for promotional campaigns or what so ever they can utilize the player for 11 of the 12 months. 

All players should be entitled to a months Vacation from work, 

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Most CFL players have off season jobs.  I'd expect the same with CPL at first with some exceptions.   NB  HATE THIS!!!

Nooooo CPL cannot consider that type of contract. those type of contract are for amateurs League and expectations. Our players must be employed by the clubs for an entire year, doing CPL Business an entire year, 

1 minute ago, Futballer said:

Nooooo CPL cannot consider that type of contract. those type of contract are for amateurs League and expectations. Our players must be employed by the clubs for an entire year, doing CPL Business an entire year, 

The average CFL player makes 80k a year but a lot have other jobs in the off season to supplement their income and that's with a bigger roster than what a soccer team would have.  The CPL players can be paid decently and also have off season jobs.  There's no shame in that.

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

The average CFL player makes 80k a year but a lot have other jobs in the off season to supplement their income and that's with a bigger roster than what a soccer team would have.  The CPL players can be paid decently and also have off season jobs.  There's no shame in that.

Yeah, but there is a big difference between getting another gig to supplement and already adequate income vs getting a 2nd job to keep the lights on.

There is "no shame" in either, but it would be a shame if CPL pay scales necessitate the latter.

7 minutes ago, Futballer said:

So the cfl is amatuer? A lot of leagues (even respected soccer leagues) have players who take up second jobs during the off season. There's nothing wrong with it. Sometimes, even when you're making 85k a year, you need to bring a little more cash into your household.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, but there is a big difference between getting another gig to supplement and already adequate income vs getting a 2nd job to keep the lights on.

There is "no shame" in either, but it would be a shame if CPL pay scales necessitate the latter.

I doubt the cpl will be looked down on if some players opt to get second jobs during the off season.

Archived