Canadian Premier League

ted

I'm goimg to hold Paul Beirne accountable now for that launch date and CPL sanction.  Heard the CPL launch date change as often as one changes underwears.   Also seems this CPL is going to try to enter the MLS markets sooner rather than later and try to suceed, good luck, guess they think they can outmuscle then with fans and quality.  I'm not impressed with this plan honestly, it still has holes and whatifs and I guess they need Van-Toronto-Mon to succeed long term.  They should've asked partnered up some of those owners to prevent ill will down the road.  Can't wait to see how this ends up.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Also seems this CPL is going to try to enter the MLS markets sooner rather than later and try to suceed, good luck, guess they think they can outmuscle then with fans and quality.  I'm not impressed with this plan honestly, it still has holes and whatifs and I guess they need Van-Toronto-Mon to succeed long term.  They should've asked partnered up some of those owners to prevent ill will down the road.  Can't wait to see how this ends up.

Its not their plan - its you opinion on what you think they may do. They have never said any such thing as far as I can tell. You are basically doubting if a plan you just dreamt up can work   lol

Just now, grasshopper1917 said:

Its not their plan - its you opinion on what you think they may do. They have never said any such thing as far as I can tell. You are basically doubting if a plan you just dreamt up can work   lol

You stated point 7) and I read it as a business plan to make it work in those 3 markets someday.  If you're stating this league will try to survive long term without those 3 markets, again this league will be seen as a minor league and not coast to coast.  I hope the plan is to include Victoria at least so you guys can claim in BC.  Without it, its just a regional league

Hey @Complete Homer  I know that we have gone over it several times but I always thought your math on quota is too pessimistic.  There's lots of room to move on quotas but I really want them to start at 50% and go up to 70% in 10 years.

I think there's enough Tyler Pashers out there.  Especially with 6 teams.  We can definitely fill 72 roles in 2018 and 96 in 2019.

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

You stated point 7) and I read it as a business plan to make it work in those 3 markets someday.  If you're stating this league will try to survive long term without those 3 markets, again this league will be seen as a minor league and not coast to coast.  I hope the plan is to include Victoria at least so you guys can claim in BC.  Without it, its just a regional league

then you read it incorrectly. All that point said is it has a business plan for teams to work OUTSIDE those 3 markets. anything you infer about how it works within those 3 markets is your own conjecture.

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Hey @Complete Homer  I know that we have gone over it several times but I always thought your math on quota is too pessimistic.  There's lots of room to move on quotas but I really want them to start at 50% and go up to 70% in 10 years.

I think there's enough Tyler Pashers out there.  Especially with 6 teams.  We can definitely fill 72 roles in 2018 and 96 in 2019.

Heh, didn't intend that to jumpstart this debate. I'm happy to concede the point

You are right, with an actual domestic league, more Tyler Pashers would stay in the pipeline. My piece was primarily worried about how year 1 would work (which will be especially difficult to find enough players available in August for a half season) 

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think the trickiest part with starting with a high quota right away is getting 72 roles all in one fell swoop. Suddenly the cost of Canadian talent skyrockets artificially due to such a high demand.

As cynical as it is, I think you need to start on the lower side and increase every year to ensure teams don't blow there budget overspending on Canadians. I still think you can get to quotas we're all happy with reasonably quickly though

10 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I hope the plan is to include Victoria at least so you guys can claim in BC.  Without it, its just a regional league

So even if the league runs from halifax to calgary it'll be regional because it lacks a bc team?

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Heh, didn't intend that to jumpstart this debate. I'm happy to concede the point

You are right, with an actual domestic league, more Tyler Pashers would stay in the pipeline. My piece was primarily worried about how year 1 would work (which will be especially difficult to find enough players available in August for a half season) 

I like the piece and our math is close.  To me there are a couple things that are what I'm most interested in for the league.  I'm already planning on getting 4 season seats in Hamilton.

What I'm most interested in is when do we start, how many and where are the teams and how many Canadians will be playing.  The rest is just details.  

Hell in my spare time I've built financial models and business plans for like 8 markets so I don't even want to debate those anymore.  

There are just those 4 things that keep me following this story all the time.

Just now, matty said:

So even if the league runs from halifax to calgary it'll be regional because it lacks a bc team?

How can you claim a "Canadian league" nowadays if its not coast to coast.  Its like the CPSL days, where they called themselves "Canadian Professional Soccer League" even though they were Ontario centric.  Jesus have some of you not been following Canadian Soccer over the last 30 years.  Its why we're still in this rut

How can you claim a "Canadian league" nowadays if its not coast to coast.  Its like the CPSL days, where they called themselves "Canadian Professional Soccer League" even though they were Ontario centric.  Jesus have some of you not been following Canadian Soccer over the last 30 years.  Its why we're still in this rut

So the cfl is a regional league?

10 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think the trickiest part with starting with a high quota right away is getting 72 roles all in one fell swoop. Suddenly the cost of Canadian talent skyrockets artificially due to such a high demand.

As cynical as it is, I think you need to start on the lower side and increase every year to ensure teams don't blow there budget overspending on Canadians. I still think you can get to quotas we're all happy with reasonably quickly though

A fixed salary cap is the cure all.  Players earn what they can negotiate just like everyone else in the world.  Teams will be managed by GM's with an eye on the salary cap, knowing that they have to sign at least a few marquee guys to sell tickets.

USL guys and 4th level Germany players won't suddenly be making 100k

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

You've got to be trolling right? No more than 2 teams in any province and they range from Nova Scotia to Alberta.... Very regional...

Just now, matty said:

So the cfl is a regional league?

well let's see, CFL has been in Canada over the last 100 years and is in the Canadian pysche even though for some weird reason rhey never bothered to expand to the Maritimes, but now this CPL, a potential league with no tradition wants to be known as a national league?? Yeah sure

18 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

You really should start your own national league since you seem to know more than almost everyone else 

6 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Not really interested in jumping on this grenade of a conversation, but I just want to clarify what your point is...

Challenging MLS markets = awful business plan

Not being in BC = awful business plan

Which is it? Or is all of BC not locked down by the Whitecaps now?

Just now, nolbertos said:

well let's see, CFL has been in Canada over the last 100 years and is in the Canadian pysche even though for some weird reason rhey never bothered to expand to the Maritimes, but now this CPL, a potential league with no tradition wants to be known as a national league?? Yeah sure

So the only known model for a canadian pro sports league isn't up for comparison to this?

What I'm more concern is with the 3 major markets: Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. If this league is to survived, it needs these 3 major markets, that's the bottom line. For this reason, I'm glad to hear that the CPL will push to have these major markets in the league sooner than later.

It seems like you don't understand that the CFL isn't a Canadian league because it is in the "Canadian Psyche" but because it is a league based in Canada, completely made up of Canadian teams (ignoring the US expansion years). This is more a geography thing than anything else... perhaps you need a map? ;)... But again, i'm 90% sure you're just trolling.

https://www.hfxwanderers.ca/single-post/2017/03/30/Recap-of-Information-Session

Halifax guys with notes from the meeting

"Q: Where do you intend to draw players from for league startup?

Paul – The composition of this league will be different in the first year, the 5th and the 10th. Initially they’ll have to depend more on import players but they do intend on having a max allotment of import players. The number is flexible. 50% was a number floated out there. The league will have to balance salary, quality and development. They don’t intend on attracting 3rd division players in Europe and South America because they won’t be high enough quality for the expected level of play. They will be targeting 1st and 2nd division players, especially Canadians who will now have a chance to blossom and develop in their own backyard.

The intended composition of the league will be drawn from existing Canadian pros playing in other leagues, high performance youth playing in Canada and the US and international players. Paul stated that from his experience, the best value for the dollar comes from South and Central American players. The league will have to balance developing players and ensuring a high quality performance on the pitch. Ultimately, long-term goal is to have teams developing high performance players from their own communities."

2 minutes ago, BradMack said:

It seems like you don't understand that the CFL isn't a Canadian league because it is in the "Canadian Psyche" but because it is a league based in Canada, completely made up of Canadian teams (ignoring the US expansion years). This is more a geography thing than anything else... perhaps you need a map? ;)... But again, i'm 90% sure you're just trolling.

By his own logic neither MLS nor the A-League can claim anything more than regional status. MLS fails to covers Alaska and Hawaii (this could be excused maybe with his logic) and A-League ignores the Northern Territory despite Darwin being larger than some of their target markets.

8 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I'm sorry but no.  The CFL almost died im the 1990's and it survived not because its a "Canadian" league, it survived because of marketing and American expansion money, whether you like to admit or not.  The ex-CFL commissioner even stated on record that if it wasn't for the US expansion money, league would've folded up.  Their TSN deal and new marketing targeting Canadian nationalism, which coincidentally was done by a US firm, led to the league becoming "cool" again amongst the younger demographics.  I follow the CFL, better than you it seems ;)

Archived