Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Sandor definitely knows it's not FCE, we can trust that, but does he have sources inside the Oilers?

Yes. He works pretty closely in the press with the Oilers in the past as has been working there a lot more this year.

I've checked in with people I trust. I remain to be convinced that there is a "solid" Edmonton bid. Or any Edmonton bid of any kind. The document that was posted as well as the follow up tweets suggest to me that the group took CFLs cities, eliminated the MLS cities, and posted this. Call it a gut instinct, but I haven't seen or heard anything that has me convinced that there is another Edmonton group.

Speaking of Steve, he also posted three tweets this morning about conflicting CanPL news. Just food for thought about "sources" that are out there. I trust that Steve won't post or report on anything without substantial research and full confidence that its actual news, rather than speculation or guesswork.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, matty said:

There might be debate about CanCon but the larger things (dates, number of teams, season length, style of model) appear to be settled on.

Why the delay on the CSA signing off on it when we get told over and over again by the usual suspects that it's happening at the next meeting? Could be "insiders" guessing as Sandor suggested or it could be a genuine disagreement over what happens on something major that has created a sticking point. Don't claim to know the answers on that, but I suspect CanCon would be an obvious one if the investors as we have been told by Duane Rollins really do want a domestic quota as low as 3 or 4 players. I really can't see Victor Montagliani and co meekly acquiescing to that.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why the delay on the CSA signing off on it when we get told over and over again by the usual suspects that it's happening at the next meeting? Could be "insiders" guessing as Sandor suggested or it could be a genuine disagreement over what happens on something major that has created a sticking point. Don't claim to know the answers on that, but I suspect CanCon would be an obvious one if the investors as we have been told by Duane Rollins want a domestic quota as low as 3 or 4 players. i really can't see Victor Montagliani and co meekly acquiescing to that.

There is/was likely yet to be something settled on CanCon (it's big but it's not do we have enough teams and a solid idea of how it's gonna run) and there was also maybe a wait to see if Halifax could actually get itself up and running for 2018 (team was really on the fly).

I'm not sure if this will be a popular opinion on the whole FCE-potential second team in Edmonton, but here goes anyway.

There is so much bad blood/so many bruised egos/so much small thinking going on throughout the soccer community in this country that I really hope that things go down in a good way in Edmonton. The fact is, there is an owner there that has tried his best and spent millions of his own money to run FCE and establish the FCE academy that many players have benefitted from. At the very least I think that means that the Faths are owed a great deal of respect from a potential new league so at the very least I hope that CanPL folks have been up front, transparent, and honest with them. FCE has been trying to do locally what CanPL/CSA is interested in doing nationally. So there is common purpose there even if their visions differ and I think ultimately it's better to acknowledge that. I'm not saying that CanPL doesn't have the right to search for an alternative Edmonton investor if FCE is not interested. All I'm saying is that I hope CanPL has brought FCE to the table, explained to them that they need an Edmonton team (if indeed they do need one), given them the opportunity to be that team (if they feel they are the right ownership group), and been upfront with them about finding a different investor if that is actually what they're doing. CanPL is a serious opportunity to get Canadian soccer folks working for and with each other instead of against one another, and I feel that this situation could serve as either an example or a non-example of that. So here's hoping.

Having said all of that, there's every possibility the Halifax graphic was not intended to be the literal original six teams and that rumours of a potential 2nd Edmonton team are greatly exaggerated. I don't know, and I respectfully submit that no one else on here does for certain either, so maybe we should all find some chill.

The problem here is wild speculation and I mean on all sides.  From "insiders" to the pro-CPL and pro-USL people.  

Way too often on here people are quick to jump on the "insiders" info and twist it to fit the narrative that fits their cause.  Way too often I've seen Rollins bashed as a legitimate source (somewhat deserved) but then people using his information when it backs their arguement.

We really need to take a step back here.  Judge the league when we get the real information and stop the stupid fighting on what really could be ghosts.  

5 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I'm not sure if this will be a popular opinion on the whole FCE-potential second team in Edmonton, but here goes anyway.

There is so much bad blood/so many bruised egos/so much small thinking going on throughout the soccer community in this country that I really hope that things go down in a good way in Edmonton. The fact is, there is an owner there that has tried his best and spent millions of his own money to run FCE and establish the FCE academy that many players have benefitted from. At the very least I think that means that the Faths are owed a great deal of respect from a potential new league so at the very least I hope that CanPL folks have been up front, transparent, and honest with them. FCE has been trying to do locally what CanPL/CSA is interested in doing nationally. So there is common purpose there even if their visions differ and I think ultimately it's better to acknowledge that. I'm not saying that CanPL doesn't have the right to search for an alternative Edmonton investor if FCE is not interested. All I'm saying is that I hope CanPL has brought FCE to the table, explained to them that they need an Edmonton team (if indeed they do need one), given them the opportunity to be that team (if they feel they are the right ownership group), and been upfront with them about finding a different investor if that is actually what they're doing. CanPL is a serious opportunity to get Canadian soccer folks working for and with each other instead of against one another, and I feel that this situation could serve as either an example or a non-example of that. So here's hoping.

Having said all of that, there's every possibility the Halifax graphic was not intended to be the literal original six teams and that rumours of a potential 2nd Edmonton team are greatly exaggerated. I don't know, and I respectfully submit that no one else on here does for certain either, so maybe we should all find some chill.

this is a good point.  Honestly, I bet it's a lot simpler than people are making this out to be.

If I did a presentation on the original six hypothetical CanPL teams, knowing that Van Mtl and Tor aren't included, these are pretty much the most logical six to pick.

I really think it's that simple.

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

but then again, here's this

Yeah was just going to post that I hope the CPL stays out of Edmonton.  Bring the game to places that want it and don't have it.  Oversaturating one market isn't the brightest idea for long term stability for the market and for the league as a whole.  

8 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

but we're bored.

I'm bored too.  Also because I'd rather discuss this while working than listen to my coworkers complain :) 

Just meant that some of the posts could be more constructive and not worth going to war over lol.  But I know I'm guilty of it at times so take what I say with a grain of salt.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think that implies a 2019 launch?

oooorrrr does it?  I mean... It's 2018 and this is a look back on a team that first kicked a ball in 2007...  (actually I thought about this as I typed the tweet!)  Don't read anything into dates here.  I was just being cheeky.

1 minute ago, mlsintoronto said:

oooorrrr does it?  I mean... It's 2018 and this is a look back on a team that first kicked a ball in 2007...  (actually I thought about this as I typed the tweet!)  Don't read anything into dates here.  I was just being cheeky.

Interpretations of punctuation and use of cheeky intensifies.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Let's harass the Shaws and find out if it's them.

20 minutes ago, mlsintoronto said:

I dunno man seems pretty clear that you meant 2019. I mean why would you not say "set you calendar for November 1 2028..."? :P

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...or maybe the Ticats and CSA both think they are ultimately calling the shots and have differing ideas of where this is headed?

Did he mention either the TiCats or the CSA? No...so stop spouting your negative bs and stick to following the USSF

Did some numbers:

1.5M team budget, (many a DP slot or 3, doubt we'll have any 1M salary players, but maybe a few 500-600k South Americans ?) 2.5M team salary tops if there's the DP.

staff budget 1.8-2M, (gonna assume that the GM and HC will make up a 3rd of that,)

travel expenses, 1M ? 

Field maintenance etc, 600k ?

total expenses would be minimum 4.9M, Maybe a high end estimate, and maybe the front office will be less expensive, 6.1 on the high end if your team budget is 2.5M.

Revenue

20$ average ticket price, (would need to know the minimum range, but I'd say 15$ is the cheapest with maybe 40 being most expensive ?)  around 900k in sales

id aim for a minimum of 3000 fans per game per team, using the 20$ average, looking at 900k in ticket sales, so I'd say there's going to need to be at least a 25$ ticket price average and 3500+ people in the seats to cover the player salaries or come close, even at that it's only 1.3M in sales...

250-400K in concession sales, not sure what to expect honeslty, depends on prices so I kinda have these numbers there...

jersey sonsor league ? I would think the league could atleast get a 5M dollar deal... so say 500k as a base for the teams ? 

TV deal, would think atleast 10M, so another 1M per team maybe ? 

Then there's other sponsors but I wouldn't know what to expect.. say an extra 2-3M for the league, 200-300k ?

then there's team jersey sponsors, and other sponsors and naming rights... should be able to get atleast aother million per team...

I calculate about 3.8M in revenue per team.. Still falling short by 1.1M dollars minimum...

1 hour ago, mlsintoronto said:

Yeah, who could have possibly anticipated that footy fans desperate for concrete information would speculate about a cryptic tweet by one of the few people actually in the know about the league.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Did some numbers:

1.5M team budget, (many a DP slot or 3, doubt we'll have any 1M salary players, but maybe a few 500-600k South Americans ?) 2.5M team salary tops if there's the DP.

staff budget 1.8-2M, (gonna assume that the GM and HC will make up a 3rd of that,)

travel expenses, 1M ? 

Field maintenance etc, 600k ?

total expenses would be minimum 4.9M, Maybe a high end estimate, and maybe the front office will be less expensive, 6.1 on the high end if your team budget is 2.5M.

Revenue

20$ average ticket price, (would need to know the minimum range, but I'd say 15$ is the cheapest with maybe 40 being most expensive ?)  around 900k in sales

id aim for a minimum of 3000 fans per game per team, using the 20$ average, looking at 900k in ticket sales, so I'd say there's going to need to be at least a 25$ ticket price average and 3500+ people in the seats to cover the player salaries or come close, even at that it's only 1.3M in sales...

250-400K in concession sales, not sure what to expect honeslty, depends on prices so I kinda have these numbers there...

jersey sonsor league ? I would think the league could atleast get a 5M dollar deal... so say 500k as a base for the teams ? 

TV deal, would think atleast 10M, so another 1M per team maybe ? 

Then there's other sponsors but I wouldn't know what to expect.. say an extra 2-3M for the league, 200-300k ?

then there's team jersey sponsors, and other sponsors and naming rights... should be able to get atleast aother million per team...

I calculate about 3.8M in revenue per team.. Still falling short by 1.1M dollars minimum...

I'm doubtful staff will cost more than 1m

Archived