Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I get where you're coming from, but imagine you are a manager. You have to build a decent roster in 4 months at a weird time (half season starting in August). You have a domestic player pool <400 players, most of which are at levels below the league's aspirations, and most of those at the league's level are signed or are uninterested in betting their career on a new league. 

You have no real transfer budget and a minimal scouting budget

Where are you getting players? Realistically, I think you are grabbing a few Canadians at USL/NASL level, a couple playing overseas in lower leagues, maybe grab one CMNTer out of contract, and a couple promising pro-am players. Maybe you get half your XI and some subs out of that, if  you are lucky. 

Then? You're looking for players playing at levels that are easy to translate into a CPL context, as you have neither the time or money to scout extensively. To me, that means a lot of Americans who can't catch on in MLS, CONCACAF players playing in nearby leagues, and a couple Europeans signed more on resume than scouting.

Things will definitely change in time, but I think the opening rosters for most teams will be pretty patchy and international. 

Certainly, this could evolve over time but I think there are enough NASL, MLS South American rejects kicking around. I'd also kick the tires on the hundreds of European's playing in the NCAA. We'd have a huge advantage over the MLS on most of these guys other than the few elite GA types.

I've seen with the Caps that the Central American guys do very little for marketing. Some of the Costa Ricans speak English, but they are the exception.To me, being marketable is more important than on-field pedigree. Being well spoken, in English, is a big thing -as we've seen with our past national team manager.

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

They've done nothing for our player development and they are competition. And if I have to pay to watch Jordan Harvey and Erik Hurtado in this league I will off myself.

I agree from the average Americans standpoint. But the league will need latin (CONCACAF) imports for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I love the irony of the board (not anyone specifically) complaining about MLS holding Canadians down and wanting to be treated as equals but then hoping to keep CONCACAF players out

Lets not pretend that being a Canadian footy fan is a rational endeavour.  I can think of roughly 1 trillion things that make more sense.  Yet here we are.

16 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I've always been consistent on this point and never blamed MLS. It's an American league looking out for American interests.

Like I said, wasn't meant specifically towards you.  I agree with you and never held it against MLS.  I will disagree though and say after we the Canadian spots are filled, we really need to complete the league with the best players, regardless of where they are from.  Our players aren't really going to develop in the best way possible if we play games with restrictions.  If you do that then you might as well just have all the Canadians scrimmage at a local high school, it would be about the same use lol. 

8 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

It'll be a fun trip to Iqaluit for the Northern derby.

in all seriousness.  If the voyaguers cup is truly open, I'll be pushing for us to try to see if we can find a way to send a team.  perhaps every few years the northern capitals could have a little tournament to see who should send a delegate.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

2-Canada West Universities Athletic Association

Pacific Division: BC Thunderbirds, BC Okanagan Heat, Fraser Valley Cascades, Nothern BC Timberwolves, Thomson Rivers WolfPack, Trinity Western Spartans, Victoria Vikes

Prairie Division: Alberta Golden Bears, Calgary Dinos, Lethbridge Pronghorns, MacEwan Griffins, Mount Royal Cougars, Saskatchewan Huskies, Winnipeg Wesmern.

By the way, I have always wondered why U Manitoba didn't have a men's soccer team. Any clue?

Ever since I've gone back to York for my PhD, I've considered following the university game a little more. Even more so considering one of my students were on the varsity team.

10 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

The only argument which I can find, is there is a concern that if a league starts up, and fails or dies a slow death, it sets back the game as a whole in the country. Basically, people who used to be fans, stop being fans because ownership didn't pay up to keep their team working-treat the sport right. This in turn means a long period of time (spanning generations) before you can try again.

In my eyes though, because we have MLS and if this league fails, it's not likely to take the MLS teams down with it, I think this is an entirely ridiculous argument to make. The literally worse case scenario is that we end up where we were, maybe 5 years ago, which while yes that will suck for some local locations, it's doubtful that it is going to salt the earth to the degree that when MLS or international Soccer produces those rare events that draw interest in the game locally, won't be able to regain ground.

pretty much exactly my pov.  MLS is a failsafe at this point, and I don't think we should even consider touching those teams or doing much to hurt them until CPL has history on it's side(if ever)

But if someone still needs a rationale to give this a go, please, explain to me why I should give a shit about jacksonville.

I've never met anyone from jacksonville, and it's possible i'll go my entire life without doing so.

9 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

But if someone still needs a rationale to give this a go, please, explain to me why I should give a shit about jacksonville.

I've never met anyone from jacksonville, and it's possible i'll go my entire life without doing so.

Furthermore, as a KW United supporter, by the time this league fills out you'd expect London, Hamilton and the GTA tip have clubs. That's three away matches within an hour!

Throw in Calgary v Edmonton and Ottawa v Montreal v Quebec City and we are starting to build a real culture here with intense rivalries.

That's reason #651 that we need to stop trying to find faults and help push this league forward. 

Archived