Canadian Premier League

ted

4 minutes ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Man, I haven't really been paying that much attention to this board until recently-but I am collectively sad for all the CPL enthusiasts (including myself) that we are so starved for news that we are now analyzing quotation marks in a tweet.

I feel like that's a really weird usage of the dash in the middle of the sentence. I wonder if that means you have insider knowledge that this thing is in a dash to the finish line and guaranteed to be announced within the next few days. 

WHAT ARE YOU NOT TELLING US? ;)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Man, I haven't really been paying that much attention to this board until recently-but I am collectively sad for all the CPL enthusiasts (including myself) that we are so starved for news that we are now analyzing quotation marks in a tweet.

You should've been around three days ago when I was hyperanalysing emojis.

8 minutes ago, Nathanael Martin said:

This builds on the deep analysis of a series of emojis that sustained up last week.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

I find it odd that an investor group would lobby a government for permission to build a stadium in a yet-to-be-announced league and either (a) deliberately mislead about which other cities would host teams in said league, or (b) be unaware of which other cities would host teams in said league.

1 minute ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Oh I was watching; don't you worry! Lol. (Notice the semicolon instead of the dash... :huh:)

I don't even know what to do with a semicolon. I'm done with grammar-based CPL analysis for now.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I find it odd that an investor group would lobby a government for permission to build a stadium in a yet-to-be-announced league and either (a) deliberately mislead about which other cities would host teams in said league, or (b) be unaware of which other cities would host teams in said league.

It's entirely possible that during the presentation itself they said something along the lines of "Well the teams aren't finalized, but here is what it might look like" and when we just see the slides out of context we don't get that information, since apparently we weren't even really supposed to see the slides. No misleading but still not finalized.

I would like to think though that even if that is a guess, it would be a damn good and educated guess based on a lot more information than we have, so it's still worth something.

23 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I imagine they're perfectly in the loop on all of these details and very confident in what they presented, especially if they're going to be holding a public info session in a few days time. They probably just didn't want to publicly confirm the details as there hasn't been an official launch/announcement yet. Bettman was adamant in denying that the Thrashers were going anywhere, and just a few weeks later we had Winnipeg Jets 2.0. Why spoil your own 15 minutes of fame?

12 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

You forgot that the stadium is for a league that most likely won't exist :) 

7 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

It's entirely possible that during the presentation itself they said something along the lines of "Well the teams aren't finalized, but here is what it might look like" and when we just see the slides out of context we don't get that information, since apparently we weren't even really supposed to see the slides. No misleading but still not finalized.

I would like to think though that even if that is a guess, it would be a damn good and educated guess based on a lot more information than we have, so it's still worth something.

It's possible, but if I'm a government official and a corporation asks me for permission to tear up public land in the heart of downtown for a "this is what it might look like" league, I'm not exactly going to be too receptive.

Just now, FreeAgent said:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of a shortened season starting in August. I feel like a 2019 start with a proper marketing campaign for a full season would establish the league a bit more.

I like it personally.  Big marketing push through the World Cup, most eyes watching.  Give everyone a taste and come back with a full season with another couple of teams in 2019 hopefully.

My opinion, just a theory.

4 minutes ago, FreeAgent said:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of a shortened season starting in August. I feel like a 2019 start with a proper marketing campaign for a full season would establish the league a bit more.

A mini season could work. Use the World Cup to push it and launch right after. Give the CFL a month~ to promote it to their fans as well. It gives players in a August to May leagues a chance to finish their seasons and have a bit of a break prior to starting a quick CPL season. Also allows for people to test out how the league will do on TV and streaming and advertisers.

If there's a CCL spot it gets the league in ASAP and will offer jobs to Canadian players (many contracts expire after May 2018)

11 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I like it personally.  Big marketing push through the World Cup, most eyes watching.  Give everyone a taste and come back with a full season with another couple of teams in 2019 hopefully.

My opinion, just a theory.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

A mini season could work. Use the World Cup to push it and launch right after. Give the CFL a month~ to promote it to their fans as well. It gives players in a August to May leagues a chance to finish their seasons and have a bit of a break prior to starting a quick CPL season. Also allows for people to test out how the league will do on TV and streaming and advertisers.

If there's a CCL spot it gets the league in ASAP and will offer jobs to Canadian players (many contracts expire after May 2018)

Fair enough, World Cup slipped my mind, I guess that makes sense. I just hope that they go balls to the wall in terms of marketing this league. I'm just worried that with half a season they half ass the effort.

15 minutes ago, FreeAgent said:

Fair enough, World Cup slipped my mind, I guess that makes sense. I just hope that they go balls to the wall in terms of marketing this league. I'm just worried that with half a season they half ass the effort.

We have heard "soft launch" so 2018 might be a sort of test year or something where they push it in certain places on like chch with streams. It will be interesting to see if they do things like DPs or international break in such a short season.

6 minutes ago, FreeAgent said:

I know some have doubts on the leadership based on either history or the length of time it continues to take to announce it officially but I tend to believe the people behind it aren't idiots wanting to throw money away and set the game back for years to come.  I truly believe the wait is because they're trying to line all their ducks up so that nothing is missed.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

We have heard "soft launch" so 2018 might be a sort of test year or something where they push it in certain places. It will be interesting to see if they do things like DPs or international break in such a short season.

DPs are the least of our worries - just imagine the rage we'll all feel when someone comes up with no-pay contracts for young players to save on expenses, maintain MLS Canadian roster eligibility, or keep NCAA eligibility.

We've seen the standards slip with OFFC in the few years since they made they were bought by OSEG; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more ambitious or ideal targets we've heard for this league don't similarly fall away in favour of expense cutting after a few seasons.

Archived