Canadian Premier League

ted

New Montagliani interview today. Didn't add much...we are still in the "due diligence" phase. Says they have worked 3 years to get a model that works and has attracted interest, now doing their due diligence on the owners. Said it is not in the best interest of the process to go into any more detail now. Next 3-6 months is a critical window, etc.

I did like this part, to paraphrase: "We are a sovereign nation with every right to have our own independent league, and I question the commitment to Canadian soccer to anyone who poo-poos that."

We have 3 MLS teams, we support that, not compete with that, but this will be in addition to that. Similar to Wales. Long over due. Etc.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due diligence by the CSA? Like their extensive exhaustive search for head national team coach I'd almost wager  No CPL in 2018 is almost a certainly. 

But potential announcement of the league by summer 2018 woop woop.

Regardless of the snidey comments if they are doing it is rather they did it right. Even if that means more wait time.  

5 hours ago, Kent said:

You do realize that even MLS paid networks to broadcast games in their early days right?

I will be (very pleasantly) shocked if CPL gets any money for TV rights in year 1. If CPL gets a free TV deal I'll still be ecstatic. If CPL has to cover some or all costs for networks putting the games on TV, then I'll still be happy that CPL games are on TV.

CPL can also get revenue sharing from this type of TV Deal.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I did like this part, to paraphrase: "We are a sovereign nation with every right to have our own independent league, and I question the commitment to Canadian soccer to anyone who poo-poos that."

Oh god, he's been reading our forums.

EDIT: In before "nationalist fervor something something"

9 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

We have 3 MLS teams, we support that, not compete with that, but this will be in addition to that. Similar to Wales. Long over due. Etc.

Think some of you need to lower your expectations a bit if Wales (which ironically is not a sovereign nation and has less autonomy than a Canadian province) is seen as a parallel.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think some of you need to lower your expectations a bit if Wales (which ironically is not a sovereign nation and has less autonomy than a Canadian province) is seen as a parallel.

Did you listen to the interview? He was just using if as an example of a country with a top tier alongside a handful of teams in a higher league. He wasn't making a quality statement 

19 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Did you listen to the interview? He was just using if as an example of a country with a top tier alongside a handful of teams in a higher league. He wasn't making a quality statement 

A better parallel would have been with New Zealand. Hopefully people will now accept that MLS is "a higher league" and the CSA is not working against it or to replace it.

Found it interesting that on recent pages that the Ticats CEO would be at the MLS combine as it suggests a level of cooperation between the new league and MLS, that there would be rumours from a reasonably trustworthy source that VWFC2 might be sold to a group in Calgary as it suggests that Ottawa won't be the last USL affiliate as opposed to reserve team, and that Victor Montagliani would compare the new Canadian league that the CSA are working on to the League of Wales given how weak it is in comparison to the English Premiership.

Honestly think that things are moving towards more of an NBL in basketball type scenario with Hamilton being the London Lightning type anchor franchise rather than the Duane Rollins tweets type setup. Will be interesting to see what unfolds. If so, fingers crossed for an FC London team as L1O is too low a level for London's top soccer team to be playing at after a PDL championship had been won previously (and ditto for K/W United).

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Found it interesting that on recent pages that the Ticats CEO would be at the MLS combine as it suggests a level of cooperation between the new league and MLS, that there would be rumours from a reasonably trustworthy source that VWFC2 might be sold to a group in Calgary as it suggests that Ottawa won't be the last USL affiliate as opposed to reserve team, and that Victor Montagliani would compare the new Canadian league that the CSA are working on to the League of Wales given how weak it is in comparison to the English Premiership. Honestly think that things are moving towards more of an NBL in basketball type scenario with Hamilton being the London lightning type anchor franchise rather than the Duane Rollins tweets type setup. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

You know what, we heard your arguments and your opinions. At this point you're just trying to bait people to debate you endlessly by consistently trying to devalue the CPL and it's obviously beyond an opinion. You're entitled to your opinion.

I think you should create a CPL skepticism thread because you're stretching rumours and overreaching at best to make your points and it's really getting old and on a lot of people's nerves while you condemn people using pro-CPL rumours (even legit news) when they do the same. Your double standard is truly annoying and infuriating.

I think people have a right to be enthusiastic and discuss how the league will/might look like. Again, create your own thread and call it CPL garage league for all I care and I guarantee you I won't interfere or post on it.

There is no skepticism or baiting involved when you describe a scenario under which something could actually happen that would bring pro soccer to cities like London and K/W. Guess what I would like to see the London Lasers come back and actually work this time! The "CPL" wasn't ratified in December and has not been decided on as a name for the new league, Paul Beirne was not hired by the league but by a swathe of the would be ownership, and they are still doing due diligence on a model that Victor Montagliani claims will work when presumably MLS, NASL and USL teams will be operating in almost all of the 1,000,000+ markets. I seriously doubt they are going to try to operate head-to-head in any of these markets, so join the dots from there.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There is no skepticism or baiting involved when you describe a scenario under which something could actually happen that would bring pro soccer to cities like London and K/W. Guess what I would like to see the London Lasers come back and actually work this time! The "CPL" wasn't ratified in December and has not been decided on as a name for the new league, Paul Beirne was not hired by the league but by a swathe of the would be ownership, and they are still doing due diligence on a model that Victor Montagliani claims will work when presumably MLS, NASL and USL teams will be operating in almost all of the 1,000,000+ markets. I seriously doubt they are going to try to operate head-to-head in any of these markets, so join the dots from there.

If you would have cared to read Complete Homer post of Montagliani interview, they are doing their due diligence on the owners, not on the model...as they should.

As for the rest of your post, (without sources to support it) it's pointless to argue with you. I'll stick to setting the record straight.

On 1/7/2017 at 0:41 PM, Canadian Soccer Fan said:

CanPL Fever…Catch It!

There will be a Special Announcement regarding the Canadian Premier League (notice how I didn’t say “Imminent” Announcement) this Wednesday at Noon! Hoping to gain some valuable street cred in the soccer community by breaking this news exclusively on this site prior to the launch of my new CanPL blog & podcast. Rock On CanPL!

Canadian Soccer Fan

Nearly your time to shine....

What this blog/podcast going to be called so we can all support?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Stop acting like the usl is a fucking draw. It isn't.

Not that he is necessarily only talking about CFL stadia, but on that front the only one I know of for certain where this is an issue is Regina. Both encouraging and discouraging statement depending on how one takes it. BC Place, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Toronto are non-issues. I suppose Calgary or Montreal might be an issue but I have no knowledge of the playing surface situation there.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_League#Attendance

Their highest average attendance was 3439 in 2016.

Their league average attendance was 3439. The highest average attendance was in Cincinnatti and was 17,296. The low attendance issue only tends to be with the reserve teams. I don't see any reason why the Fury can't draw similar to what they were in the NASL, because they will be an independent affiliate rather than a reserve team. Bear in mind beyond that the CSA have negotiated a domestic player rule change with MLS that hinges on signing the first contract with an MLS team or its USL affiliate. Are they really going to be putting obstacles in the way to have those operate in Canadian cities?

Archived