Canadian Premier League

ted

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

My guess is that the owners of the Calgary Flames and Stampeders (and some other CFL owners beyond just Ottawa and Hamilton) were interested enough to kick the tires a bit back in 2014 when the plan was for a Canadian NASL division and a standalone 2026 World Cup bid looked very much doable, so there is an element of truth to what has been said. The draw would have been being a host city and getting lots of federal infrastructure money to upgrade facilities. As the prospect of that has receded the level of potential interest in pro soccer has probably cooled considerably.

Theysaid cfl was involved less than a year ago on the record, a great deal of time after the nasl thing fell the fuck apart and the world cup talk was becoming joint hosting. Both regina and winnipeg just got new shit so it's unlikely the upgrades would help them much.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot of infrastructure and financial opportunities involved in being a World Cup venue and the standalone World Cup bid hadn't completely disappeared as a possibility even around a year ago. Think the 48 team format was the definitive end for it, however, and the CSA has been cosying up to MLS/SUM over the last few months as a joint bid is now the order of the day, so smaller markets that were not going to get anywhere near a standalone World Cup bid are now in play where the domestic pro league thing is concerned. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

At their yearly awards night in December, the VP of Calgary Foothills did indicate that the club wanted to be at the table, and are, (the VP's words, not mine) with the CSA in the discussion over CPL. I don't have any more insight beyond that statement as the point of the speech was to primarily discuss the construction of their new facility. It may be bluster, it is probably out of date information, but take it for what it's worth.

And no, this is not public information, but I believe @Stuart could back this up as he was there with me at the awards night.

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There's a lot of infrastructure and financial opportunities involved in being a World Cup venue and the standalone World Cup bid hadn't completely disappeared as a possibility even around a year ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/world-cup-expansion-fifa-soccer-1.3928648

• Despite the 16 extra games, FIFA believes the current maximum of stadiums needed will stay at the 12 used by Brazil and Russia. However, the demand for more training bases and hotels means developed countries would be better equipped to win future hosting contests.

Meaning any of the 3 countries could easily host alone...starting with the US and Mexico. However, 12 is doable for Canada. The 3 federations are talking about a co bid but I doubt Mexico can be convince to let the US host the final game while they possess the Azteca.

Let`s wait and see on that one

21 hours ago, masster said:

The CEO of the Tigercats is at the MLS Combine. He also tweeted today about how the change to the World Cup will be good for Canada.

Enjoying being in LA at the @MLS combine. 4young Canadians representing canada soccer. #prosoccerhamilton

C11s1D7UcAERNWj.jpg

Scouting Players for his team because the CPL is about to start? YAHOO!

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The 3 federations are talking about a co bid but I doubt Mexico can be convince to let the US host the final game while they possess the Azteca.

It's called "we have 100000 seater stadiums so fuck your 80000 seater"

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Scouting Players for his team because the CPL is about to start? YAHOO!

I don't think Scott Mitchell would be scouting players. No offense to Mitchell, but I doubt he has the experience in that field. It's more likely he's networking with potential scouts and soccer contacts and getting combine ideas.

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

As a side note, NASL did kinda sorta draw with the Fury and was improving before the jump to USL. Now it's a big question mark what going to the USL will do-fail to do with them. I do know, many are not pleased with being affiliated.

They drew about 5500 fans per game last season. This in on par with many smaller clubs in top European leagues. In my opinion 5500 average is a solid following for a non MLS league team.

9 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

They drew about 5500 fans per game last season. This in on par with many smaller clubs in top European leagues. In my opinion 5500 average is a solid following for a non MLS league team.

Iirc they gave awat half or near half of those tickets away and their actual paid attence was below the league average

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/world-cup-expansion-fifa-soccer-1.3928648

• Despite the 16 extra games, FIFA believes the current maximum of stadiums needed will stay at the 12 used by Brazil and Russia. However, the demand for more training bases and hotels means developed countries would be better equipped to win future hosting contests.

Meaning any of the 3 countries could easily host alone...starting with the US and Mexico. However, 12 is doable for Canada. The 3 federations are talking about a co bid but I doubt Mexico can be convince to let the US host the final game while they possess the Azteca.

Let`s wait and see on that one

In 2010, South Africa hosted a 32 team World Cup with 10 stadia in 9 cities and Qatar want to do it with as few as 8 stadia in 7 cities. Those were probably the precedents that the CSA would have used for a standalone bid.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-us-canada-mexico-joint-world-cup-bid-20170111-story.html

Soccer leaders in the U.S., Canada and Mexico are in talks about joining forces to stage the biggest-ever edition of the World Cup in 2026, when the field of sport's most-watched event will be increased to 48 teams.

The U.S. would be the tournament's main host with the most games, including the final. Should the plan be approved, the 2026 World Cup would be the first time three countries have staged the same event...

A formal proposal is likely to be formulated and presented to Concacaf's other members around the time of the next FIFA Congress set for May in Bahrain, Montagliani said...

Assuming that's accurate and it's a three way bid and the US is the anchor host, it's difficult to see any games happening outside of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in a Canadian context. Maybe a standalone bid isn't definitively dead yet, but it's on life support in an ICU and that means any domestic pro league isn't going to proceed at this point based on groups that participate having the inside track on being a host city in 2026 as it is the three MLS teams that are most likely to be the beneficiaries of any stadium largesse from the federal government. That's no bad thing if it means three outdoor grass 40,000 seaters built with soccer rather than the CFL in mind as venues for the CMNT post-2026.

12 hours ago, matty said:

Iirc they gave awat half or near half of those tickets away and their actual paid attence was below the league average

I've seen this thrown around a few times. Is this speculation or is there some inside info? It's mind blowing to think a team could be that irresponsible. 

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

I've seen this thrown around a few times. Is this speculation or is there some inside info? It's mind blowing to think a team could be that irresponsible. 

They have a program that gives free entry to kids who are part of their youth soccer program, and I assume they have a few other promotions, but I'm pretty sure people are people are speculating at the actual number of free admissions. I'd be surprised if anyone outside the FO knows that

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

In 2010, South Africa hosted a 32 team World Cup with 10 stadia in 9 cities and Qatar want to do it with as few as 8 stadia in 7 cities. Those were probably the precedents that the CSA would have used for a standalone bid.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-us-canada-mexico-joint-world-cup-bid-20170111-story.html

Soccer leaders in the U.S., Canada and Mexico are in talks about joining forces to stage the biggest-ever edition of the World Cup in 2026, when the field of sport's most-watched event will be increased to 48 teams.

The U.S. would be the tournament's main host with the most games, including the final. Should the plan be approved, the 2026 World Cup would be the first time three countries have staged the same event...

A formal proposal is likely to be formulated and presented to Concacaf's other members around the time of the next FIFA Congress set for May in Bahrain, Montagliani said...

Assuming that's accurate and it's a three way bid and the US is the anchor host, it's difficult to see any games happening outside of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in a Canadian context. Maybe a standalone bid isn't definitively dead yet, but it's on life support in an ICU and that means any domestic pro league isn't going to proceed at this point based on groups that participate having the inside track on being a host city in 2026 as it is the three MLS teams that are most likely to be the beneficiaries of any stadium largesse from the federal government. That's no bad thing if it means three outdoor grass 40,000 seaters built with soccer rather than the CFL in mind as venues for the CMNT post-2026.

Does being the cohost relieve a nation of its requirement to have its own national league?

The Fury had a program called Fury Fanatics, Local youth soccer clubs were invited to join and when they did EVERY youth player under 14 was given basically a free season ticket, i believe over 25,000 were issued. For more info see their webpage  http://www.furyfanatics.com/  

There is a section on the North side for the Fury Fanatics, i believe that adult  has to pay and accompany the youth player.

Regarding other free tickets i have no knowledge

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Does being the cohost relieve a nation of its requirement to have its own national league?

Does being a cohost scupper any hope for infrastructure improvements outside Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver?

11 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Truth be told I'm fairly certain commonwealth is actually the most prepared stadium as it has the highest capacity... Correct me if I'm wrong

Oh maybe Olympic is bigger

During the 1976 Olympics, the Montreal Olympic stadium had an attendance of 71,617 for the gold medal game. I'd say with reconfiguration, Olympic Stadium can easily more add seats

20 minutes ago, ted said:

Does being a cohost scupper any hope for infrastructure improvements outside Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver?

Since the World Cup expands to 48 teams, they all need training grounds/facilities and I doubt turf would cut it, so you could see more fields with Natural grass being built which could be the foundation for a CPL future stadium or/and massive revamp of existing University fields

Archived