Canadian Premier League

ted

44 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Brampton and Mississauga's LRT project went by the wayside unfortunately :(

It would have been awesome uniting both cities and placing a stadium for the GTA's CPL team somewhere on the line.

Line will eventually be extended to Brampton GO, it's only a matter of time. Development proposals on Hurontario have gone through the roof since the line was funded.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Facts? :lol:

Yes, the potential Calgary CPL ownership will be scared off by this USL Pro team rumor....

I hope we go at it alone. There's no reason for a joint bid. Outside of the United States, Germany and probably France, Canada is the next best market to guarantee sell outs for every game and ensure the World Cup is profitable.

It's a rumour that he believes puts a dent in the CPL and scores points for the USL...facts be damned, it has to be true. Even if there was a stadium being built for a CPL team, and the groundbreaking occurred, BBTB would try to convince us it's a ruse and actually going to be something ridiculous like a women's prison 

To be fair, I don't think BTBB started the Calgary talk, and it's easy to mix the speculation with what's actually reported if you don't check closely

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Personally think 1500 to 2000 in smaller markets based on a regional largely bus travel format...

That would be where the D3's need to work towards. If the BCSA could get a BC D3 league going, and all three leagues were admitted into the Voyageurs Cup we could have those sorts of numbers.

Having a cup tournament where the "semi-pro" D3 teams could face off against CanPL teams and then MLS teams could be sold to sponsors and engage Canadians IMO.

Interesting stat I noticed from the NBL (since that's the latest comparison, and one which honestly might - but hopefully won't - be a possibility):

The London Lightning managed an average attendance of 5659 last season; this in a league where no one else cracked 2000.  And as we're constantly reminded, the NBL isn't a top-tier league.

While a similar attendance for a London CPL team would put it above the average that most people are expecting for the CPL, there's a more tangible comparison that deserves to be made:

London's 2016 NBL attendance of 5659 is higher than OFFC's 2016 NASL attendance of 5596.

The same OFFC that - until last year, at least - was held up as a model D2 & potential CPL flagship franchise, and the fourth-most-supported (attendance-wise) pro soccer team in this country, is beaten in attendance by an NBL franchise.

I don't know whether that says more about Ottawa, or outdoor sports, or the popularity of basketball vs soccer, but if that's the kind of numbers that London can pull for a semi-national basketball league (not to mention their OHL support), there's no reason to think they couldn't be (at least) an above-average market in the CPL.

8 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting stat I noticed from the NBL (since that's the latest comparison, and one which honestly might - but hopefully won't - be a possibility):

The London Lightning managed an average attendance of 5659 last season; this in a league where no one else cracked 2000.  And as we're constantly reminded, the NBL isn't a top-tier league.

While a similar attendance for a London CPL team would put it above the average that most people are expecting for the CPL, there's a more tangible comparison that deserves to be made:

London's 2016 NBL attendance of 5659 is higher than OFFC's 2016 NASL attendance of 5596.

The same OFFC that - until last year, at least - was held up as a model D2 & potential CPL flagship franchise, and the fourth-most-supported (attendance-wise) pro soccer team in this country, is beaten in attendance by an NBL franchise.

I don't know whether that says more about Ottawa, or outdoor sports, or the popularity of basketball vs soccer, but if that's the kind of numbers that London can pull for a semi-national basketball league (not to mention their OHL support), there's no reason to think they couldn't be (at least) an above-average market in the CPL.

Question: does the nbl follow fiba rules? I remember reading it didn't a while ago, has that changed

10 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Not to mention London manages averages over 2000 a game in League 1 Ontario, apparently. It's a strong secondary market

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not to mention London manages averages over 2000 a game in League 1 Ontario, apparently. It's a strong secondary market

Does someone have this 2000 number somewhere? I keep hearing this but the German Club, where they play, is capacity 1000 and frankly, having been there that's generous. It's closer to 800. 

In regards to NBL, KW pulled out 2200 for it's opener, which was solid, but it dropped down to 1600 in their second game. Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers they get, as frankly so far the team I feel like hasn't been marketed much.

Just now, Levi Oakey said:

Does someone have this 2000 number somewhere? I keep hearing this but the German Club, where they play, is capacity 1000 and frankly, having been there that's generous. It's closer to 800. 

In regards to NBL, KW pulled out 2200 for it's opener, which was solid, but it dropped down to 1600 in their second game. Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers they get, as frankly so far the team I feel like hasn't been marketed much.

I'm suspicious of that 2000 number myself; I've only heard it mentioned from secondary sources either on twitter and possibly in some of Rocket Robin's stuff.  Can't find any links at present.

As I understood it; it was moreso "they hit that a few times" rather than "they hit that consistently all season".

Best source I can give is an attendance list on wikipedia covering 2009 to 2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_City_London#Average_attendance

13 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I don't think they publish official attendances, but both Rollins and Rossi have said it before. But I admit I've never been

I actually asked to clarify if they were "hitting it occasionally" or averaging over 2000, and one of them on Twitter said it was averaging over. Who knows though, could be another "tickers distributed vs paid vs attended" sort of thing

I try to piece it together from photos sometimes; their livestream videos don't tend to show the crowd side of the field, and no one likes going to London to shoot photos apparently.

Not that the photos are conclusive.  You get ones like this, which show a packed crowd:

DSC_8805__1__large.jpg

And then ones like this, which show a decent density but certainly nothing like a 4-digit turnout:

DSC_8546_large.jpg

35 minutes ago, matty said:

Question: does the nbl follow fiba rules? I remember reading it didn't a while ago, has that changed

Not the NBLC. Butch Carter's CBL, which occasionally has these eerie commercials on BEIN Sports, will follow FIBA rules. 

1 hour ago, zen said:

Line will eventually be extended to Brampton GO, it's only a matter of time. Development proposals on Hurontario have gone through the roof since the line was funded.

It only makes sense for all the above to happen. Obviously downtown Missisauga is one of the more happening places in the GTA outside of downtown Toronto. Hopefully a stadium gets on the line, or they loop it out like the Square One stops, to wherever said stadium will be...if there is a stadium down the line that is.

9 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Oh good, I'm glad to see we're not the only ones with shitty fractured infighting.

Yeah, with sports that are globally popular, we like to cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag. Hopefully the CPL changes that.

53 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think they publish official attendances, but both Rollins and Rossi have said it before. But I admit I've never been

I actually asked to clarify if they were "hitting it occasionally" or averaging over 2000, and one of them on Twitter said it was averaging over. Who knows though, could be another "tickers distributed vs paid vs attended" sort of thing

yeah, like I said. I have been to "The Cove" as FC London calls it and I don't think it could fit 2000 people without some form of expansion. I just watched their videos again from their L1O highlight reel and I don't see any expanded seating. They did post averages of about 2000 during their early field travelling PDL days though. So it isn't beyond FC London, more so just their current stadium. 

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I try to get out and this thread keeps PULLING ME BACK IN!!

I've been trying to catch up off and on all day. It's disheartening to see the notification at the bottom of the screen saying "9 new posts" then "15 new posts" then "35 new posts". I will make it there eventually!

Archived