Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Their league average attendance was 3439. The highest average attendance was in Cincinnatti and was 17,296. The low attendance is only with the reserve teams. I don't see any reason why the Fury can't draw similar to what they were in the NASL, because they will be an independent affiliate rather than a reserve team.

I don't care about how much an American team draws in an American League. Good luck to the Fury, and I really mean it, but I'm skeptical they will draw people to USL matches when they will be playing MLS B Teams or as much as last year...Historically, NASL was always the better draw than USL.

independent affiliate? That was a bad move on their part. Just my 2 cents

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Their league average attendance was 3439. The highest average attendance was in Cincinnatti and was 17,296. The low attendance issue only tends to be with the reserve teams. I don't see any reason why the Fury can't draw similar to what they were in the NASL, because they will be an independent affiliate rather than a reserve team.

There were several non-reserve teams that drew under the league average including the 3rd worst drawing team. Offc might do better thanks to their history but that does not reflect usl

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Their league average attendance was 3439. The highest average attendance was in Cincinnatti and was 17,296. The low attendance issue only tends to be with the reserve teams. I don't see any reason why the Fury can't draw similar to what they were in the NASL, because they will be an independent affiliate rather than a reserve team. Bear in mind beyond that the CSA have negotiated a domestic player rule change with MLS that hinges on signing the first contract with an MLS team or its USL affiliate. Are they really going to be putting obstacles in the way to have those operate in Canadian cities?

10 of 29 teams out did the average attendance. 8 were non reservists sides and only 1 drew 3000+ on average in 2016 and literally just did so. Usl is not a draw

19 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Not that he is necessarily only talking about CFL stadia, but on that front the only one I know of for certain where this is an issue is Regina. Both encouraging and discouraging statement depending on how one takes it. BC Place, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Toronto are non-issues. I suppose Calgary or Montreal might be an issue but I have no knowledge of the playing surface situation there.

Interesting snippet. I guess it's university football stadia where it would tend to be more of an issue, so Halifax would probably fit as would London, Ont if one of the ethnic social clubs or Labatt Park couldn't be used.

On 2017-01-09 at 6:27 PM, matty said:

I'm bored so question: would you rather TLN or BeIN be the channel to carry the CPL?

If that is where the games are going to be shown the league is DOA.

On 2017-01-09 at 7:34 PM, canta15 said:

Do u live under a rock?

I only know of BeIN or whatever because it keeps getting mentioned here and I see the name on Whitecaps Jerseys. I don't even know if I get it.

On 2017-01-10 at 6:58 AM, rob.notenboom said:

... don't paper the house. Make the tickets worth something and stick to it. That doesn't mean you can't offer incentives to clubs and groups, etc but the more you devalue your product in the market the more difficult it becomes to get anyone to bother paying for a ticket.

OMG so much this!

We need bums in seats but the giveaways must be used strategically and sparingly for effect, not to shore up false numbers.

8 minutes ago, ted said:

If that is where the games are going to be shown the league is DOA.

I only know of BeIN or whatever because it keeps getting mentioned here and I see the name on Whitecaps Jerseys. I don't even know if I get it.

You likely don't because it's a specially channel and costs 16 bucks a month. It's also no joke as it owns the canadian rights to bundesliga, ligue 1 and la liga and it's owned by al jazeera.

Tln you maybe have as it's in 5million homes and is included in most bell and rogers packages. I think it owns liga mx and serie a rights.

By no means is the league dead doa if it gets either but neither is prefered to cbc or tsn but with the recent tsn mls tv deal....

32 minutes ago, matty said:

You likely don't because it's a specially channel and costs 16 bucks a month. It's also no joke as it owns the canadian rights to serie a, ligue 1 and la liga and it's owned by al jazeera.

Tln you maybe have as it's in 5million homes and is included in most bell and rogers packages. I think it owns liga mx and serie a rights.

By no means is the league dead doa if it gets either but neither is prefered to cbc or tsn but with the recent tsn mls tv deal....

Fixed your post slighty. Sportsnet has Bundesliga, which is unfortunately on their World channel.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A better parallel would have been with New Zealand. Hopefully people will now accept that MLS is "a higher league" and the CSA is not working against it or to replace it.

Nobody has been questioning which league is going to have the higher quality of play on the outset when the CPL finally begins. If you have an issue with people calling out your bitch behaviour every time you utter CPL and D2 and they retort with saying it will be sanctioned D1 by the the CSA, which does not equal those posters saying the CPL will be a higher quality league, that's on you. All evidence suggests so far the CSA will sanction the CPL as D1. Also, no one except one particular colourful individual wants the CSA to work against or replace MLS so shut the fuck up and quit grasping st straws.

What draw fans in Canada to soccer games

-MLS draws in its region

-CanWNT draws

-CanMNT can draw

-MLS Canadian teams playing each other can draw on TV unlike normal games

-Some local youth and armature sides

What do not draw

-NASL

-USL

Meaning: BBTB stop acting like the CPL won't ve able to draw when a lot of what is needed to draw in Canada is there and stop acting like USL and NASL sides will make it super hard to set up teams and get fans in cities with them

Why are you being so strident about this? The NASL survived thanks to Rocco Commisso taking over the Cosmos with FC Edmonton appearing to be very much one of the bedrock franchises and the CSA just negotiated a deal with MLS that revolves around first pro contracts being signed with USL affiliates and the three USL teams that will be associated with the three Canadian MLS franchises will be very important on that. There is no sign that either the NASL or USL is disappearing from the Canadian soccer landscape in other words regardless of whether they meet your definition of being a draw or not. Where it gets tricky with that backdrop is when the USL or NASL group already hold the tenancy over the most obvious stadium option in a city and in convincing another investor that they should risk losing lots of money by waging a pro soccer war with them when they have the advantages that go with incumbency. Beyond that from what I can see anything over 2000 paid is a very good draw in pro soccer beneath MLS level in Canada at the moment and I can see no obvious reason why that's suddenly going to change in the next few years.

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why are you being so strident about this? The NASL survived thanks to Rocco Commisso taking over the Cosmos with FC Edmonton appearing to be very much one of the bedrock franchises and the CSA just negotiated a deal with MLS that revolves around first pro contracts being signed with USL affiliates and the three USL teams that will be associated with the three Canadian MLS franchises will be very important on that. There is no sign that either the NASL or USL is disappearing from the Canadian soccer landscape in other words regardless of whether they meet your definition of being a draw or not. Where it gets tricky with that backdrop is when the USL or NASL group already hold the tenancy over the most obvious stadium option in a city and in convincing another investor that they should risk losing lots of money by waging a pro soccer war with them when they have the advantages that go with incumbency. Beyond that from what I can see anything over 2000 paid is a very good draw in pro soccer beneath MLS level in Canada at the moment and I can see no obvious reason why that's suddenly going to change in the next few years.

Who saying they're going to vanish? Who? I didn't i just said they don't draw so the idea they trump a cpl club is really idiotic. There are also only three usl teams and currently only one has access to the stadium in its city for soccer. Remember the city of hamilton rejected pro usl clubs already and i think a town near vancouver did too because they are not draws.

You are extremely overestimating the mls deal and underestimating the rumoured ownership and markets when it comes to marketing.

The mls deal will be much less amazing than you think it is in 5 years due to how it will fuck over canadian youths that go to europe, which will increase, and when kids in usl are unable to get mls deals and struggle to develop in a weak league.

2 hours ago, matty said:

By no means is the league dead doa if it gets either ...

That's your opinion.

My opinion is, if the CanPL cannot get on a "standard" network with national coverage it will not have the media footprint required to satisfy sponsors and to engage Canadians. If it is a shown only on a niche or specialty channel it will virtually ensure that the league will not be covered by mainstream media further reducing it's value to sponsors and Canadians.

That said, DOA may be a bit harsh I grant you, but the handicap will be significant, dropping the chance of success to less than 50% IMO.

18 minutes ago, matty said:

You are extremely overestimating the mls deal and underestimating the rumoured ownership and markets when it comes to marketing.

And therein lies the problem, that ownership is still only "rumoured" and hasn't been identified yet and they are supposed to be starting up in 2018. You have explained very well previously why keeping something like this under wraps would normally be very difficult. If a pro team in Calgary is imminent for example, why is it that the only rumour we are hearing at the moment is that VWFC2 might move there? Most of the recent rumours have been from southern Ontario. There are much worse things that could happen for soccer in Canada than a viable and sustainable equivalent to the NBL if that's the direction the CSA's league (the one that hasn't even been given a name yet and didn't hire Paul Beirne rather than the one Rollins was tweeting about) goes in. One good thing about smaller markets is that there is usually strong local media that makes it easy for minor league sports operations to have a high profile and limited competition for the entertainment dollar. That's why a league like PDL can draw into four digits in cities like London and Victoria, while it draws flies in larger markets.

CanPL Fever…Catch It! (part 2)

For the past few years I have been reading about the proposed new league but have been let down far too many times by the promise of “imminent” announcements from basically one guy with a twitter account regurgitating “news” from his one source. Like all of his other proclamations, nothing even remotely concrete or substantial was announced. So I decided to do my own research and get the REAL story behind the proposed CanPL. Spoiler Alert… it’s coming folks! Super excited about the prospects of Canada having its own D1 Super League and I hope you are too! Rock On CanPL!

Canadian Soccer Fan

38 minutes ago, matty said:

Who saying they're going to vanish? Who? I didn't i just said they don't draw so the idea they trump a cpl club is really idiotic. There are also only three usl teams and currently only one has access to the stadium in its city for soccer. Remember the city of hamilton rejected pro usl clubs already and i think a town near vancouver did too because they are not draws.

To add to this. Hamilton rejected it not only because it wasn't a draw, but partly because they had an existing relationship with the Ti-Cats who were engaged in the CPL project, partly because MLSE came to city council with the promise of a team before they even had authorization to play in the USL, partly because MLSE's bid for "exclusivity" had some fairly large gaping holes and partly because...well the only farm team that Hamilton would stomach would be the Leafs farm team, and that will never happen, because MLSE would rather leverage Ricoh in Toronto then pay Hamilton to play in the First Ontario Centre.

As a side note, NASL did kinda sorta draw with the Fury and was improving before the jump to USL. Now it's a big question mark what going to the USL will do-fail to do with them. I do know, many are not pleased with being affiliated.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

And therein lies the problem, it is still only "rumoured" and they are supposed to be starting up in 2018. You have explained very well previously why keeping something like this under wraps would normally be very difficult. If a pro team in Calgary is imminent for example, why is it that the only rumour we are hearing at the moment is that VWFC2 might move there? Most of the recent rumours have been from southern Ontario. There are much worse things that could happen for soccer in Canada than a viable and sustainable equivalent to the NBL if that's the direction the CSA's league (the one that hasn't even been given a name yet and didn't hire Paul Beirne rather than the one Rollins was tweeting about) goes in. One good thing about smaller markets is that there is usually strong local media that makes it easy for minor league sports operations to have a high profile and limited competition for the entertainment dollar. That's why a league like PDL can draw into four digits in cities like London and Victoria, while it draws flies in larger markets.

I have said that yea but there is substance to a lot of what's said even without leaks. While vic has been cautious other's who we know are involved (beirne and the hamilton group) have said a fair bit ON THE RECORD about the cfl/nhl involvement and teams in western cities to launch. There is a level of trust to that you can give that and that you can't give to tots or rollins or guys are here with insider info about thunder bay being in the launch.

27 minutes ago, Canadian Soccer Fan said:

CanPL Fever…Catch It! (part 2)

For the past few years I have been reading about the proposed new league but have been let down far too many times by the promise of “imminent” announcements from basically one guy with a twitter account regurgitating “news” from his one source. Like all of his other proclamations, nothing even remotely concrete or substantial was announced. So I decided to do my own research and get the REAL story behind the proposed CanPL. Spoiler Alert… it’s coming folks! Super excited about the prospects of Canada having its own D1 Super League and I hope you are too! Rock On CanPL!

Canadian Soccer Fan

So you don't actually have news then?

18 minutes ago, matty said:

I have said that yea but there is substance to a lot of what's said even without leaks. While vic has been cautious other's who we know are involved (beirne and the hamilton group) have said a fair bit ON THE RECORD about the cfl/nhl involvement and teams in western cities to launch. There is a level of trust to that you can give that and that you can't give to tots or rollins or guys are here with insider info about thunder bay being in the launch.

My guess is that the owners of the Calgary Flames and Stampeders (and some other CFL owners beyond just Ottawa and Hamilton) were interested enough to kick the tires a bit back in 2014 when the plan was for a Canadian NASL division and a standalone 2026 World Cup bid looked very much doable, so there is an element of truth to what has been said. The draw would have been being a host city and getting lots of federal infrastructure money to upgrade facilities. As the prospect of that has receded the level of potential interest in pro soccer has probably cooled considerably.

Archived