Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rheo said:

I get the sentimentality and hockey related benefits if they did it.  I worry about it marginalizing the teams that come after.  Best just to say we're here I think

I don't think pushing it in a huge way is a good idea, just use the language like "launching with the original six franchises" instead of "launching with six teams"

It's probably pretty transparent, but I think it helps take the edge off the reaction against a 6 team launch. It conveys the idea that there are more teams coming, and you want to be part of something that will become big at the beginning. I dunno, I'm no marketing expert, but it seems like a good way to market a sub optimal launch

24 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think pushing it in a huge way o's a good idea, just use the language like "launching with the original six franchises" instead of "launching with six teams"

It's probably pretty transparent, but I think it helps take the edge off the reaction against a 6 team launch. It conveys the idea that there are more teams coming, and you want to be part of something that will become big at the beginning. I dunno, I'm no marketing expert, but it seems like a good way to market a sub optimal launch

nailed it

1 hour ago, RickC said:

As the CPL's head office will be in Hamilton, I don't think there will be any marketing as the original six. After all, Hamilton almost won the Stanley Cup before the original six was originated.

I doubt that will matters to CPL marketing. "Original Six" is iconic Canada wide and it would be dumb not to use it for the reason you just said. If they don't use it it will be because of copyright

I think the "original six" thing was a sick burn...but using it as proof launching with six will be fine seems incorrect to me.

For starters the NHL launched in the two biggest markets in Canada and four of the biggest 5 markets in the US. I could write out more reasons but I imagine it would fall on deaf ears. It's apples and oranges to compare the competition for entertainment dollars between an all canadian soccer league launching in Canada in 2016 and a north american hockey league launching in the 1940s

I really, really do belief the long term sustainability of this league depends on mass visibility. If you're launch announcement is "Hey we got a new league, it has 6 teams, and none of them are in a major market" I would really question why they felt the need to launch so hastily. That would decimate your biggest PR "moment"

again, just my opinion

8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think the "original six" thing was a sick burn...but using it as proof launching with six will be fine seems incorrect to me.

For starters the NHL launched in the two biggest markets in Canada and four of the biggest 5 markets in the US. I could write out more reasons but I imagine it would fall on deaf ears. It's apples and oranges to compare the competition for entertainment dollars between an all canadian soccer league launching in Canada in 2016 and a north american hockey league launching in the 1940s

I really, really do belief the long term sustainability of this league depends on mass visibility. If you're launch announcement is "Hey we got a new league, it has 6 teams, and none of them are in a major market" I would really question why they felt the need to launch so hastily. That would decimate your biggest PR "moment"

again, just my opinion

you're not wrong.

as far as mass visibility goes.  There are things we can do to help this along.

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

again, just my opinion

My guess is they're launching the league with six teams to go with the presumed World Cup bid.  

Assuming they have a TV deal in place, I don't think the lack of major markets (if they aren't in there) won't be that big of an issue at launch.  But as always this is really just guessing until we know what the details really are.

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

again, just my opinion

Actually, no. The NHL didn't launch in 4 of the 5 biggest markets in the US (and didn't launch in the 1940's). It launched in Toronto, Montreal (2 teams, very briefly) and Ottawa. At the time, Toronto and Montreal's populations were in the neighbourhood of 500,000 people, and Ottawa was about 100,000 people.

For your reference, the first NHL season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917–18_NHL_season

And I don't think anybody is using the NHL as "proof launching with six will be fine". I think people are just saying launching with 6 teams isn't a non-starter.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Actually, no. The NHL didn't launch in 4 of the 5 biggest markets in the US (and didn't launch in the 1940's). It launched in Toronto, Montreal (2 teams, very briefly) and Ottawa. At the time, Toronto and Montreal's populations were in the neighbourhood of 500,000 people, and Ottawa was about 100,000 people.

For your reference, the first NHL season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917–18_NHL_season

And I don't think anybody is using the NHL as "proof launching with six will be fine". I think people are just saying launching with 6 teams isn't a non-starter.

My mistake on the NHL.

Are the Ticats not required to come up with a pro soccer team by 2018 based on commitments made to get the PanAm stadium funding? Might explain the push to launch even if there's less than eight. Having followed the fortunes of the London Lasers (basically the national U-20 team plus Paul James of game fixing and crack pipe fame and a couple of other older players) in the last six team coast-to-coast Canadian soccer league in 1992, I don't remember it being that bad in terms of monotony, but there was only a 20 game season that year. If they tried for 32 plus playoffs it could quickly get to be a bit much, which is why a cross-border angle would probably be a good move along the lines of the plan that was floated to cooperate with the NASL a couple of years back.

9 minutes ago, Rheo said:

My guess is they're launching the league with six teams to go with the presumed World Cup bid.  

Assuming they have a TV deal in place, I don't think the lack of major markets (if they aren't in there) won't be that big of an issue at launch.  But as always this is really just guessing until we know what the details really are.

If they have a TV deal in place with a real TV channel...not like community TV...then a ton of my concern dissapears.

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

If they have a TV deal in place with a real TV channel...not like community TV...then a ton of my concern dissapears.

I have no proof but I've always assumed that someone (most likely TSN) has long been involved.  They've been leaning heavy on soccer the last couple of years, their close ties with the CFL and CSA and it would be cheap, controllable Canadian content for the network.  More guessing but if they don't have a deal then I agree it's on a bit more shakey ground then I would like.

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I have no proof but I've always assumed that someone (most likely TSN) has long been involved.  They've been leaning heavy on soccer the last couple of years, their close ties with the CFL and CSA and it would be cheap, controllable Canadian content for the network.  More guessing but if they don't have a deal then I agree it's on a bit more shakey ground then I would like.

This makes me wonder what channel will get it. TSN have always been the frontrunner but we haven't heard anything about them in a while and I don't know if the playoff ratings bump is the magic proof people are thinking it is. While MLS Canada match ups draw, the CPL is still unproven. Sportsnt seems like a non-player. beIn also isn't available enough. TLN (while a long shot) seems to be looking to breakout and the CPL could help but I don't think it's a big enough channel to bring in the ad revenue.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

This makes me wonder what channel will get it. TSN have always been the frontrunner but we haven't heard anything about them in a while and I don't know if the playoff ratings bump is the magic proof people are thinking it is. While MLS Canada match ups draw, the CPL is still unproven. Sportsnt seems like a non-player. beIn also isn't available enough. TLN (while a long shot) seems to be looking to breakout and the CPL could help but I don't think it's a big enough channel to bring in the ad revenue.

Makes too much sense to not be TSN so it probably won't be lol.  I originally thought CBC might be involved but if they're getting some MLS then there won't be much room I'd imagine (although I don't think that has been confirmed)

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Makes too much sense to not be TSN so it probably won't be lol.  I originally thought CBC might be involved but if they're getting some MLS then there won't be much room I'd imagine.

I think if rating were under 100k on average TSN would ditch it. TLN would likely be more willing to carry something that's averaging 70-100K but again TLN won't bring in the ad money TSN would.

TLN might also be a good bet if they do have a lot of Latin players and want to cater a bit.

There was a tweet from Rossi floating around where he didn't think a TV deal was critical to success of the league - something I think many of us disagree with, and that kind of talk from him has me worried that he's trying to downplay the fact that there won't be a TV deal.

Sure, he's not in the middle of things, but I'm sure as hell he's getting more info than we are.

I'll try and find the tweet.

EDIT: Went back three weeks and couldn't find it, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Think there's no point speculating on TV until you hear what they actually have in mind in terms of the cities involved and team budgets and whether there is any place for MLS reserve teams etc. There could easily be no national TV broadcaster involved, because this isn't going to be the top tier of the sport in Canada. MLS will continue to provide that.

Just now, matty said:

I think if rating were under 100k on average TSN would ditch it. TLN would likely be more willing to carry something that's averaging 70-100K but again TLN won't bring in the ad money TSN would.

Ratings were bad on TSN for sure.  My theory though is that they'd be invested in the league in some way.  Control the broadcasting, have it fit around their schedule (ie CFL/CPL double hitters on Friday night), reason for them to push it hard (like they do the CFL) and grow it properly.

All guesses on my part but the TV rights are really what I'm most curious about when all this comes out.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think there's no point speculating on TV until you hear what they actually have in mind in terms of the cities involved and team budgets and whether there is any place for MLS reserve teams etc. There could easily be no national TV broadcaster involved, because this isn't going to be the top tier of the sport in Canada. MLS will continue to provide that.

Isn't this whole thread pointless speculating lol

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There could easily be no national TV broadcaster involved, because this isn't going to be the top tier of the sport in Canada. MLS will continue to provide that.

While partly true (I think this will be sanctioned as co-D1) the risk that's being taken with the CPL is massive and not having a national TV deal would only increase the chances of failure. It's the best way to grow the CPL brand and likely will be the biggest moneymaker.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Ratings were bad on TSN for sure.  My theory though is that they'd be invested in the league in some way.  Control the broadcasting, have it fit around their schedule (ie CFL/CPL double hitters on Friday night), reason for them to push it hard (like they do the CFL) and grow it properly.

I'd like to think but that can't see Bell actually investing as they co-own TFC and sponsor the Whitecaps. Things like TFC likely not being allowed in with a reserve team and rumours of MLS not liking the CPL idea make me think this.

44 minutes ago, matty said:

While partly true (I think this will be sanctioned as co-D1) the risk that's being taken with the CPL is massive and not having a national TV deal would only increase the chances of failure. It's the best way to grow the CPL brand and likely will be the biggest moneymaker.

I'd like to think but that can't see Bell actually investing as they co-own TFC and sponsor the Whitecaps. Things like TFC likely not being allowed in with a reserve team and rumours of MLS not liking the CPL idea make me think this.

I think co-ownership of TFC is a bit of a mute point, mainly because they co-own with Rogers. TSN and Sportsnet will do what is best for them as far as getting the television rights. As far as team profits though, Bell and Rogers don't care, so long as the are making money.

Whitecaps are a bit of a different story, and a weird one at that. Shaw sponsors the Grey Cup on TSN who you would think would be the competition for Bell in Vancouver. More likely, I think Bell just saw a decent sponsorship deal and took it. Simple as that.

Can we have a confirmation if whether the new CSA-MLS player deal announced today is an attempt to squash #CanPL before it begins? Please we need clarification. So many people on Twitter are now alleging that this is now the case without backing it up with substantiated facts.

Archived