Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

...I have legit concerns about launching with 6. It still seems strange to me.

I don't have an issue with it.  They figure it's better to get going with the secure than forcing places that aren't ready or prolonging it any further.  Strike while the iron is hot and the level of awareness for the sport in Canada is at an all time high.

At the same time I wish it was more teams but it doesn't take anything away fromt he league to launch with six assuming there's more teams coming soon.

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I don't have an issue with it.  They figure it's better to get going with the secure than forcing places that aren't ready or prolonging it any further.  Strike while the iron is hot and the level of awareness for the sport in Canada is at an all time high.

At the same time I wish it was more teams but it doesn't take anything away fromt he league to launch with six assuming there's more teams coming soon.

I understand both sides.

But you only get one launch, its arguably the biggest moment for drawing attention to your league. You don't run a league like a start up where you launch in beta and go big with it once the bugs are figured out. I think launching this way kneecaps the amount of attention it draws...something this league will desperately need to garner legitimacy. 

From getting players to play in the league, to drawing fans, a league launching with six teams feels off in my opinion.

Not to mention playing each opponent 4 times for a 20 game league.

I'm obviously dying for this league to succeed and have been on board with most other reports. This one seems really really strange.

If I knew you could launch with 8 in 2019 I'd just wait until then.

I think we'd all (well, most of us) would ideally like to see more than 6, but the world isn't ideal.

It makes a huge difference what those six are, IMO.  If it's Hamilton, Ottawa, and FCE + three new teams, that's a lot difference from Hamilton + 5 new teams with FCE & OFFC still outside the CPL.

I'd really worry about delaying until a 2019 launch.  As it is, a 2017 launch would've been ideal to raid the corpse of the NASL, as it would've been fairly painless to bring FCE & OFFC in for next season.  I really worry what will happen with FCE if NASL falls and they don't have an obvious choice to jump to.

37 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

...I have legit concerns about launching with 6. It still seems strange to me.

Rollins said they feel they are better off launching with 6 and demonstrating that the league is viable to attract more owners than waiting around. Had said before that there were owners in other markets coming in late, so hopefully that means #7 and #8 are in but not ready and it's about attracting #9 and #10

I think we should start asap, even if it's 6 teams. If we keep delaying there will be more rumbling that something is wrong and that nobody is willing to invest blah blah blah. We have enough naysayers and pessimists now, we don't need more.I'm just disappointed there seems nothing for Mtl. Let's get this going,I'm tired of waiting. Besides if we wait any longer ,we'll have another 531 more pages to read and write!!!! 

37 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I think we'd all (well, most of us) would ideally like to see more than 6, but the world isn't ideal.

It makes a huge difference what those six are, IMO.  If it's Hamilton, Ottawa, and FCE + three new teams, that's a lot difference from Hamilton + 5 new teams with FCE & OFFC still outside the CPL.

I agree which 6 makes a ton of difference. If this doesn't launch in at least one of the top 3 markets I really, really don't understand what the rush was. This thing needs visibility to do well.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'd really worry about delaying until a 2019 launch.  As it is, a 2017 launch would've been ideal to raid the corpse of the NASL, as it would've been fairly painless to bring FCE & OFFC in for next season.  I really worry what will happen with FCE if NASL falls and they don't have an obvious choice to jump to.

shrug, I think you could make a case for either honestly.    u listed the pros for 2017, but delaying allows more time for groundswell to build(which it definitely seems to have been in this country recently)

12 minutes ago, matty said:

Anyone else worried they're gonna launch the cpl with a bunch of pregame concerts before every teams' first home game and take a page from the isl and promote the sport like a spectacle not unlike the following fictional image?

57973.jpg

Paul Bierne will probably copy what he was successful with - promoting supporters culture and the game day experience of soccer

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Paul Bierne will probably copy what he was successful with - promoting supporters culture and the game day experience of soccer

Hope he does and there isn't someone that vetos him in favour of a sort of cfl game day atmosphere

20 hours ago, grande said:

Yeah, I can't imagine a league with six teams ever doing well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Six

And even that league didn't get up to 6 teams until it's 8th season. Started with 4 teams, with one folding after 6 games, leaving 3 teams for the remainder of the season, and the following season. Then got back up to 4 teams for 5 seasons, before expanding up to 6.

I know it was different times, but I think Canadians will be understanding of a league with 6 teams.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

And even that league didn't get up to 6 teams until it's 8th season. Started with 4 teams, with one folding after 6 games, leaving 3 teams for the remainder of the season, and the following season. Then got back up to 4 teams for 5 seasons, before expanding up to 6.

I know it was different times, but I think Canadians will be understanding of a league with 6 teams.

Really, if they are smart they could push the "original six" angle in the announcement 

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Really, if they are smart they could push the "original six" angle in the announcement 

I get the sentimentality and hockey related benefits if they did it.  I worry about it marginalizing the teams that come after.  Best just to say we're here I think

Archived