Ballou Tabla

shermanator

I cant believe some people are on here bashing this kid for wanting to play for his birth country. Especially since they're better than us. Im sure he loves Montreal, and is grateful for the life Canada has offered him and his family, but he doesnt owe Canada anything. I fully support his ambition of playing for his birth country with world class players, and hope he can make his dream come true. 

On 2017-6-17 at 5:13 PM, MtlMario said:

And I lose respect for players who only use our youth setup just for their own benefit.

Only use your youth set up for their own benefit? Isnt that the objective as a footballer? Develop at the club you have a contract with? Does Montreal not benefit from the large fee they will recieve when he's eventually sold?

This is a human with his own ambitions and emotions, dont be salty because his ambitions for himself dont match your ambitions for him.

22 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

I cant believe some people are on here bashing this kid for wanting to play for his birth country. Especially since they're better than us. Im sure he loves Montreal, and is grateful for the life Canada has offered him and his family, but he doesnt owe Canada anything. I fully support his ambition of playing for his birth country with world class players, and hope he can make his dream come true. 

I equally can't believe that you don't see why hardcore Canadian footy supporters would be critical of a player who is eligible for Canada, heavily used our Canadian development system, represented Canada at multiple youth levels nationally, yet now feels Ivorian

I am not saying he is making the wrong decision if he chooses to play for IC (though he may be if he ends up not being a regular).  But this is a site where people are emotionally invested in the CMNT.  A player who turns their back on that team can expect to catch criticism.  I have said it before and I will say it again - supporting footy in the way that we do is not a rational venture.  We get worked into a lather watching 11 guys try to kick a fucking balloon into a large onion bag.  Clearly we are here because of passion, not reason.  So if someone abandons the team we love in favour of another, especially when they consumed limited developmental resources in this country, they will be criticized.  That may not make his eventual decision wrong, but is sure as hell is understandable. 

24 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Only use your youth set up for their own benefit? Isnt that the objective as a footballer? Develop at the club you have a contract with? Does Montreal not benefit from the large fee they will recieve when he's eventually sold?

This is a human with his own ambitions and emotions, dont be salty because his ambitions for himself dont match your ambitions for him.

It isn't about Montreal.  He only joined them 2 years ago.  It is the Canadian youth development spots he took that people are more annoyed with.  He played with us at the U15, U17, U18, and U20 levels - that is a spot someone else (who aspires to play for this country) could have used to foster their development within the highest level of youth development we have.  If it turns out we were unknowingly training an IC international, then yes, people will be annoyed.

-----------------------

Look, he will play where he wants.  And of course his self interest dictates that he will use every opportunity he can to advance his career, including participating in national-level youth development opportunities.  And like every other player that has jumped ship, it will be hard for us to claim any sort of "rightness" if he makes a move that ends up substantially improving his career trajectory.  But we don't have to like it, and it is pretty obtuse to expect everyone on here to wish him all the best if he jumps ship and joins the nats of another country. 

55 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

What about the ambitions of the other guy he took the place of that would of played for Canada? He doesn't matter of course because just like you ,it's all about me.For me the youth system(Canada's national team youth system) is to develop players for our national team, not some other team. I guess we know where you stand concerning our nation team. You'll probably be one of the first ones here to congratulate him if he chooses IC instead of us because he is a human with his own ambitions and emotions.

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I equally can't believe that you don't see why hardcore Canadian footy supporters would be critical of a player who is eligible for Canada, heavily used our Canadian development system, represented Canada at multiple youth levels nationally, yet now feels Ivorian

Sure I see why you're critical. Im just looking at things from a footballing career perspective. 

People will be annoyed he accepted youth call ups, but do you really think he was plotting to turn his back on Canada from U15? Somewhere between then and now he's realized he might have what it takes to play at the top level. 

9 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

What about the ambitions of the other guy he took the place of that would of played for Canada? He doesn't matter of course because just like you ,it's all about me.For me the youth system(Canada's national team youth system) is to develop players for our national team, not some other team. I guess we know where you stand concerning our nation team. You'll probably be one of the first ones here to congratulate him if he chooses IC instead of us because he is a human with his own ambitions and emotions.

Lol ya i would congratulate him im not salty. Only salty haters  are mad when they see someone make it. 

What do you mean all about me? Is his career about whats best for canada or whats best for his career? Im not debating whats best for Canada, im sure everyone would agree that Ballou playing for Canada is best for us. But is Ballou tieing himself to Canada at age 18 whats best for Ballou?

Edited by Fastfeet2

Just now, Fastfeet2 said:

Sure I see why you're critical. Im just looking at things from a footballing career perspective. 

People will be annoyed he accepted youth call ups, but do you really think he was plotting to turn his back on Canada from U15? Somewhere between then and now he's realized he might have what it takes to play at the top level. 

Like I said - I get the career self interest thing.  We can vilify Begovic or the whore all we want, but I really doubt it matters much to them when they lie down at night on a nice soft pile of money.   Its hard to argue that they didn't advance their self interest - they clearly did.  But their self interest in no way aligns with my interest in seeing the CMNT being as strong and formidable as possible.  And because we are often right on the margin of getting the necessary result, some of the defectors literally could have made the difference between making the WC and not even making the hex.  That hurts.

Even your post highlights the cynical nature of the situation.  Somewhere along the way, he realized that he might be good enough that he didn't have to play for Canada...   Exactly.   More power to him I guess.  Just don't expect a group of Canadian supporters to wish him well in his Ivorian adventure. 

It will be interesting to see how MNT fans of the Impact react to his Canada snub, if at all! A few years back when Junior Hoilett seemed like he was not going to play for Canada there was outrage by many of the TFC supporters when he trained a couple of days with the team in the off season! 

37 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Like I said - I get the career self interest thing.  We can vilify Begovic or the whore all we want, but I really doubt it matters much to them when they lie down at night on a nice soft pile of money.   Its hard to argue that they didn't advance their self interest - they clearly did.  But their self interest in no way aligns with my interest in seeing the CMNT being as strong and formidable as possible.  And because we are often right on the margin of getting the necessary result, some of the defectors literally could have made the difference between making the WC and not even making the hex.  That hurts.

Even your post highlights the cynical nature of the situation.  Somewhere along the way, he realized that he might be good enough that he didn't have to play for Canada...   Exactly.   More power to him I guess.  Just don't expect a group of Canadian supporters to wish him well in his Ivorian adventure. 

I agree 100%. I just appreciate both sides of the story. 

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

So anyone who supports his right to play for he feels is best is now not a true supporter of the Canadian team?  You're honestly taking this to a Trump like level of ridiculous rhetoric.

Guess I should be banned from the board for not being a true supporter of the national team...

Edit-Also I won't be rehashing the argument, we agree to disagree.  Just feel it's wrong and offensive to call into question anyone's level of support

Edited by Rheo

1 hour ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Lol ya i would congratulate him im not salty. Only salty haters  are mad when they see someone make it. 

What do you mean all about me? Is his career about whats best for canada or whats best for his career? Im not debating whats best for Canada, im sure everyone would agree that Ballou playing for Canada is best for us. But is Ballou tieing himself to Canada at age 18 whats best for Ballou?

Exactly what's best for Ballou. Couldn't of said it better myself.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

So anyone who supports his right to play for he feels is best is now not a true supporter of the Canadian team?  You're honestly taking this to a Trump like level of ridiculous rhetoric.

Guess I should be banned from the board for not being a true supporter of the national team...

Edit-Also I won't be rehashing the argument, we agree to disagree.  Just feel it's wrong and offensive to call into question anyone's level of support

YOU'RE FIRED.

I can't blame Ballou if he doesn't choose us. He has a career of 10-15 years to weigh up. IC have qualified for the last 3 WCs and look like qualifying for 2018. That would be 4/4 of the last WCs. We can't even make the Hex FFS.

Of course we hate it. I hate it. We spend our time on message boards about Canada soccer because we love the game and our country. It sucks but the rules are what they are. 

I'm sure many will disagree and I'm fine with that but just because your family emigrates here and you grow up playing here doesn't mean you owe it to us to represent our soccer team. Is there really a superstar sitting on the sidelines because Ballou took his under 20 spot? 

I'm sure I've said it before but all we can do is support the guys (like Arfield and Hoilett and Davies thank god) who want to wear the red jersey. It seems OZ and the CSA reached out as best they could. He has yet to decide, though it doesn't look great for us.

From a Voyageurs POV, it's like worrying about the weather. There's no point. It's gonna be what it is... but man are we due for some sunny days. 

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

And you don't think it's wrong and offensive to call someone ignorant idiot? I hope for your sake your girlfriend/wife /boyfriend doesn't dump you for someone else because it's a better  life for him or her.

12 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Iike I said, you are really intelligent.

17 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I get the reference, I'm not as ignorant as you.

If MtlMario is an ignorant idiot, and you are not as ignorant as him, are you aptly characterized as an intellectual idiot?

https://medium.com/incerto/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577

:P

4 minutes ago, Mapleblood said:

If MtlMario is an ignorant idiot, and you are not as ignorant as him, are you aptly characterized as an intellectual idiot?

https://medium.com/incerto/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577

:P

IYI is perhaps a fitting title for anyone who feels compelled to use the term "Trump rhetoric" to criticise someone on a soccer fourm.

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

And you don't think it's wrong and offensive to call someone ignorant idiot? I hope for your sake your girlfriend/wife /boyfriend doesn't dump you for someone else because it's a better  life for him or her.

Sure whatever buddy.  Cheers

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

I thought so.Now you are going to take your ball and go home.

No why keep up an idiotic argument (on both sides) going.  We're not going to change each other's mind and I've got more important things to put my energy to on here.  I apologize for letting the debate get bad on my part, it shouldn't get like that.  I still think you're horribly misguided and wrong but it's agree to disagree.