Doneil Henry

Coramoor

1 hour ago, to70 said:

Maybe Doneil should talk to Altidore to get the name of the doctor that solved his hamstring injury problems. Seems to me he is having the same injury problems Jozy had till this doctor solved it for him.

That's what I was thinking. It was a TFC doctor or team of doctors that fixed Altidore's problem. Apparently they found another small thing wrong that was leading to Jozie's hamstring problems. Doneil never seemed to have trouble staying healthy when he was at TFC.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Timely comment from the Hereford FC manager Peter Beadle on "character" and "not giving up" after his side had come back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3:

------

Beadle added that the way his team came back in the game proves what the club means to them.

"I couldn't be more proud of them because the character they showed and the fact they never gave up was phenomenal," said Beadle.

------

I'm not trying to belabor the point because I get that most people don't see what I see but it is encouraging to see my view on "character" and "giving up" supported by a professional football manager.

You're quoting a 7th division manager to make your point. That's not a pro football manager and he hasn't coached higher than  the 6th division, so he was never a pro football manager. On this board, you're trying to making your point and always going back to England, a country that is not known for having competent coaches in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

We did not lose because of Henry's character we lost because we do not have one single right back at international level and are not very strong at a few other positions. If you keep on making this about Henry's character it does not give a very good impression of your own character.

To add onto this point, Canada lost in Honduras because they were thoroughly outplayed in every single facet of the game, outside of maybe goals by CBs. Our forwards were nowhere to be found, our midfielders were uninspiring and our defending was shoddy. Putting the blame for the result on one player, who has sparsely played in 2+ years is simply unfair.

45 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Actually, he is a professional football manager. Hereford had a turnover of about a million pounds last year and they pay their coach and their players. Furthermore, this is the first thing I have posted from England on this topic. Obviously it was mentioned earlier because Henry playing there was the central point of the discussion.

I was finished with this discussion but happened to read that today so I thought I'd post it. The connection between "character" and "giving up" is undeniable.

They pay their players, but they still have jobs, so they are not professionals. Semi-pro, yes, but not pros. It's not the first time that you mention England, you were saying on how Larin was a bad striker and compared him to other England players to say he wasn't great. And didn't you start this fire on this board. 

I don't think that Henry quit on the team, he was playing at a position where he isn't that confortable without having played a lot before that and was coming from injury. He had one lapse and you are saying he quit on his team. I mean, what do English players know about that? How many of them have played 90 minutes at 2 in the afternoon in 30 degree weather? I think it has to do more about being match fit and he battled, but it wasn't enough. Anyhow, it's not like Henry's making the national team any time soon because of his injury. I'm worried about his future, mostly because of his injuries and that he was still making bad decisions defensively. we've seen lots of teams fold in Honduras, but you singled out one player, and it's not like he was put in the best situation. 

And if you were finished with this discussion, you didn't have to post it there. I think a lot of people don't know if Henry has what it takes to make it, but no one went that low and not only that, you waited until 3 months after the game to start it and that was just after we learned he tore his ACL. If you wanted to vent, you could have vented 3 months ago, but you chose now and that is the worst. 

I'm sure that if you asked any players, I'm guessing that none will say that even in 20 years that someone gave up on the game. They just weren't good enough on that day. 

12 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Just to be clear, I agree with what you say and I am not putting the the blame for the result on one player. I am however saying that having a quitter on the team sets a bad example and is a bad influence on the squad. This certainly hurts the whole team in a subtle but important way. I hope our future team selection takes this into consideration.

How can you say with certainty this is about his character? There are good arguments being made about a lack of focus, a lack of physical stamina, a lack of soccer IQ. I'm curious to know your thoughts on this.

Without explaining how you come to the conclusion that this play demonstrates a character, you're not making yourself look good here.

15 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I was finished with this discussion but happened to read that today so I thought I'd post it. The connection between "character" and "giving up" is undeniable.

I agree. It reminds me of that game where TFC were down 2-1 to rivals Columbus only to storm back and win in added time via a Doneil Henry header.

Edited by Havoc88

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Wow, great post Rob. I haven't read the whole thing but if what they say is true then no doubt it applies to me as much as to anyone else.

Henry may yet overcome his injuries and prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Chuckle. Whenever people start debating about 'character' or 'character traits' I have the same reaction so I couldn't resist :)

However, even if one doesn't believe that there is such a thing as 'character', the end result might be the same. One person's 'gutless' is another person's 'tends to lose mark when tracking back.' The end result is still the same regardless of interpretation. Honduras scored & we are out of the Hex. 

I wish Doneil all the best. I hope he recovers fully and reestablishes his pro career. But I can't say I have ever had a great deal of confidence in him at the international level. 

16 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Those other arguments about Henry are also good. Quite apart from the issue of character, I have always thought he was mediocre. I agree with the comments about a poor "football IQ" (I would call it questionable decision making). I have never noticed a lack of stamina, although that is not an excuse for quitting on a play! Lack of focus probably ties in with poor decision making.

And as for his lack of character, that is my OPINION for all the reasons given in earlier posts. I do not present it as an absolute truth!

I think I have given my reasons for that opinion in spades. I don't want to disrespect you because you are a good poster so I will just say that if you think I give a flying puck about whether I "look good" for voicing it, you are very much mistaken!

I think the crux of the whole thing is: He is only gutless in your mind because you don't rate him. 

• 1 month later...

Meaningless, but an update anyway.

I was not sure if he would be in London or with AC Horsens since there have been conflicting reports about his loan being until January or being until the end of the season.

And an article stating his loan is over.

http://www.essexlive.news/where-can-hammers-fans-watch-west-ham-youngsters-out-on-loan-this-weekend/story-30082341-detail/story.html

with quote:

Henry's time in Denmark is over and he returned to West Ham earlier this month as he is currently injured for eight months due to an ACL injury. 

Edited by Ruffian

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Off to Sheffield Wednesday. He is more likely to get a shot in a lower league than the Premier League.

Edit: Could be a Prem team if they win the playoff.

I wouldn't trust that source at all. If you looked just after you see that they have signed Donnaruma and Mbappé and sold Andy Carroll to Inter. 

Edited by Blackdude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this article on West Ham https://realsport101.com/news/sports/football/west-ham-slaven-bilic-can-create-europa-league-chasing-side/

They talk about Henry as a player who should be sold this summer.

"Doneil Henry is another player that the London Stadium should be looking to move on this summer. He once looked like a player with a very high potential, but now does not look like he is near to reaching that. Now could be the right time to sell before his value starts to decline."

I'm sorry but Doneil Henry is absolutely awful! I got nothing but bad memories of him getting red carded and costing us penalty shots in key matches. He also made WAY too many mistakes. He's not a guy you can rely on to be your starting Centre-Back 

i used to think he was the future and all but hasn't done very well in England and I hope he doesn't return to CMNT 

28 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I'm sorry but Doneil Henry is absolutely awful! I got nothing but bad memories of him getting red carded and costing us penalty shots in key matches. He also made WAY too many mistakes. He's not a guy you can rely on to be your starting Centre-Back 

i used to think he was the future and all but hasn't done very well in England and I hope he doesn't return to CMNT 

When did this happen?

And as far not doing very well in England, on what do you base that?

He had 2 reds and 18 yellows in 4 years of MLS.  Thats not insane but not great.

I recall a couple of his hand balls costing TFC as well. 

More recently, he fouled for a penalty to Mexico in WCQ, so he did his rep no favours there.

If he gets released, who would take a chance on him given his lack of track record in europe and history of injury?  

9 competitive matches in the last 3 years pretty much sums up.

Hes been injury prone, and no matter how much potential he may have had, there is no team in the Premier League will keep the faith that long. I wish him luck, but unless there is a drastic change I fear he is bound for football purgatory in some lower league. 

Luckily, it doesn't seem we need his help right now. Good times for Canada, sorry Doniel