Doneil Henry

Coramoor

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

So, Sam Allardyce was West Ham's manager when Doneil Henry transferred to West Ham via Apollon Limassol. Allardyce was just sacked by the FA for saying on tape that there were ways to get around third party ownership, and with third party owner Kia Joorabchian being linked to the Doneil Henry transfer in the past, it seems that Doneil Henry is one player who was able to get around this.

The deal looked shady at the time, and looks even more shady now with the Allardyce video.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/27/sam-allardyce-loses-job-as-england-manager-after-telegraph-inves/

Exactly my thoughts when I heard the Allardyce news. Couple that with the observation that he never seems to be in the plans for the first team and you wonder if the signing was more about cash in the pockets of the guys making the deal rather than signing a player they thought could help the club. To be fair I don't know if pocketing money is part of the allegations against Allardyce.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Exactly my thoughts when I heard the Allardyce news. Couple that with the observation that he never seems to be in the plans for the first team and you wonder if the signing was more about cash in the pockets of the guys making the deal rather than signing a player they thought could help the club. To be fair I don't know if pocketing money is part of the allegations against Allardyce.

I don't think Allardyce wanted Henry because of money given to him, I think he may have helped Henry get into the EPL without really having the requirements to be allowed. Allardyce may have just misjudged how good Henry was.

17 hours ago, shermanator said:

So, Sam Allardyce was West Ham's manager when Doneil Henry transferred to West Ham via Apollon Limassol. Allardyce was just sacked by the FA for saying on tape that there were ways to get around third party ownership, and with third party owner Kia Joorabchian being linked to the Doneil Henry transfer in the past, it seems that Doneil Henry is one player who was able to get around this.

The deal looked shady at the time, and looks even more shady now with the Allardyce video.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/27/sam-allardyce-loses-job-as-england-manager-after-telegraph-inves/

Apollon Limassol is the club of Pini Zahavi. He's quite a powerful agent and a shady figure. Many players are so called owned by Apollon but they're basically owned by the agent who's using the club to get around the third party ownership.

One great example was Andrija Zivkovic recently. Here is an article about his situation.
http://futbolgrad.com/zivkovic-third-party-ownership-contract-exposed/

He really screwed everyone recently by running down his contract and joining Benfica on a free transfer leaving his agent, Apollon and Partizan in heaps. He didn't get to play for the last 6 months of his contract but I loved that he stitched up everyone by leaving on a free.

• 1 month later...

Yeah he can't seem to leave the misery behind him. Even in a league that's a lot less physical than League 1. Sometimes you start to wonder wether his body is suited for professional play. On the other hand, maybe recovery goes in steps and this is just another small setback. Anyway I wish him all the best, hope he sees the field a lot this season. 

• 1 month later...

On the bright side, when he returns from injury, West Ham will be in the Championship. Perhaps he will have a chance at breaking into the first team at that point. Either that, or they'll be done with him and he can move somewhere where he can get regular minutes (and hopefully not another long term injury).

12 hours ago, shermanator said:

So that 6 week knee injury that Henry suffered turned out to be an ACL tear. Expected to be out for the remainder of the season.

http://www.essexlive.news/west-ham-defender-henry-out-for-season-after-injuring-knee-with-ac-horsens/story-29862139-detail/story.html

Like it or not, at some point you have to think the guy's career is quite likely over.

11 minutes ago, nolando said:

Like it or not, at some point you have to think the guy's career is quite likely over.

Sadly I have to agree with you, too many different long term injuries have just ruined his chance of having a decent pro career! i hope I'm proven wrong, it sure doesn't look good, maybe a CanPL team takes a chance on him eventually?

Even prior to this setback  I had the sense that this would be his last season in West Ham's set up.  Loans like his more often than not are about getting a guy some exposure in order to move him.  With this long term injury, he's out of the shop window and now invisible in the storage room.  I wish him a speedy recovery.   

13 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Doneil Henry does not have the character to play in England -- in any division. It is tough physical football at all levels and gutless shirkers get found out very quickly.

Yeah, if there's anything you could say about Doneil Henry, it's that he's gutless. A real shrinking violet, even!