NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Went and had a look.  I started my thread on feb 24 2013.  Apparently I volunteered right away, but didn't start the thread till February. here is the thread from jpg, oddly what I forgot was that you recommended me which I actually responded to as the catalyst for me doing it.  So if you started a thread, you didn't run it for long at all relatively speaking.  I think it's possible you might be the one having the memory lapse though, but if not help me out?  Here's the thread.

I think you're right after-all. I passed it to JPG. Although he must have done it twice because Kurosawa didn't take it over from Joe McCarthy. Unless there was somebody else in there who I thought was JPG.

Change is not always bad. Give it a shot. You can always make some of the modifications that have been suggested and see if this project (like others perhaps) could go to another level.  Jon's got a real passion for this, so that alone should give him the benefit of the doubt.  If Jamie can advise on how to best integrate things into the site, I think it's worth a bit of trial and error.

I think you're right after-all. I passed it to JPG. Although he must have done it twice because Kurosawa didn't take it over from Joe McCarthy. Unless there was somebody else in there who I thought was JPG.

Yeah fair enough my man.  I joined the board in 2012 and know none of that history except for what you all tell me :)

Edited by madmonte

Yeah i took the list over from you for this site - thinking 2008ish? Joe McCarthy actually did the list on Big Soccer and that's where i took it over from him and not this site. Sorry about the confusion...

Edited by jpg75

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/testing/

If we drop the twitter handle, use country codes, position codes and a shorter division system, this will fit on a dedicated page.

I would suggest spaces between the countries and additional copies of the column headers throughout the document.

1. I don't really want to drop the twitter handles, cause some of them are hard to find, but I guess I could make them into a new tab?

2. Country codes are no issues at all, we can implement that.

3. I would propose the position codes we know from the FIFA games, e.g. LW = Left Winger, RB = Right Back, GK=Goalkeeper, etc?

4. Instead of listing the division's names, we could just have a number for the division. e.g. Bundesliga = 1, 2. Bundesliga = 2, etc.

Another idea I had was to keep an active injury left. I always forget a player is currently injured and then get confused why he isn't in the squad :D.

What do people think?

Edited by Fussball_eh

1. I don't really want to drop the twitter handles, cause some of them are hard to find, but I guess I could make them into a new tab?

2. Country codes are no issues at all, we can implement that.

3. I would propose the position codes we know from the FIFA games, e.g. LW = Left Winger, RB = Right Back, GK=Goalkeeper, etc?

4. Instead of listing the division's names, we could just have a number for the division. e.g. Bundesliga = 1, 2. Bundesliga = 2, etc.

Another idea I had was to keep an active injury left. I always forget a player is currently injured and then get confused why he isn't in the squad :D.

What do people think?

Maybe drop the stat line in favour of the twitter handle?

I have combined the "Unattached FC" and "Status Unknown" tab into one.

Please excuse the many formatting issues, we are working on fixing those over the next couple weeks.

I am thinking of adding a sheet for "Current Injuries", but I would have to find a volunteer to manage that column, cause I don't want to put too much on my own plate.

Updating re Adam Appugliesi, who we heard signed with Jove Español in Spanish 3rd div (4th tier), Valencia region. I just now found match reports on this team, but he does not seem to be playing or at least no word on his Twitter account. He's a defender it seems. But here is the real story:

He came out of an Italian academy calle Genova International, GISS, that signs players to a lot of good clubs, in Serie A and B, elsewhere. They have deals all over the world, through the owner Morris Pagniello. In Spain in the last few years they offer a club in 2B or 3rd, even 2A, a quantity of money as a "sponsorship", then the deal is that club has to take players. In the case of Cultural Leonesa in León they promised a quantity, had León set up a B team, put a GISS coach on the team and a group of young GISS players 19-21 yrs old. But shortly afterwards Cultural complained that they had been tricked and not all the money had come in. 

Same with Hercules, they were promised when in 2A to get 200 thousand euros and had to take 40 players into their teams, mostly lower than the 1st team. When Hercules dropped to 2B, the quantity dropped to 90 thousand. The Hercules board then decided it was not a good deal for them. They also seem to have deals with Jumilla, in the same area, and with quite a few other teams---and then Jove Español where Appugliesi is. 

I suppose players pay a lot to GISS, and the deal is then GISS gets the odd transfer fee, being the "owner" of the player, and then use the money to pay their players way into clubs at lower level so they can compete. And if someone stands out, then they get a share or all of the transfer up. They are an academy that is also a macro-agent and placement agency. 

Just a month ago the deal was: Jove Español accepted a sponsorship and three players, all from GISS, the others Australian. But I am pretty sure that Adam has not played after 6 games and the others, I dont think have either. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Updating re Adam Appugliesi, who we heard signed with Jove Español in Spanish 3rd div (4th tier), Valencia region. I just now found match reports on this team, but he does not seem to be playing or at least no word on his Twitter account. He's a defender it seems. But here is the real story:

He came out of an Italian academy calle Genova International, GISS, that signs players to a lot of good clubs, in Serie A and B, elsewhere. They have deals all over the world, through the owner Morris Pagniello. In Spain in the last few years they offer a club in 2B or 3rd, even 2A, a quantity of money as a "sponsorship", then the deal is that club has to take players. In the case of Cultural Leonesa in León they promised a quantity, had León set up a B team, put a GISS coach on the team and a group of young GISS players 19-21 yrs old. But shortly afterwards Cultural complained that they had been tricked and not all the money had come in. 

Same with Hercules, they were promised when in 2A to get 200 thousand euros and had to take 40 players into their teams, mostly lower than the 1st team. When Hercules dropped to 2B, the quantity dropped to 90 thousand. The Hercules board then decided it was not a good deal for them. They also seem to have deals with Jumilla, in the same area, and with quite a few other teams---and then Jove Español where Appugliesi is. 

I suppose players pay a lot to GISS, and the deal is then GISS gets the odd transfer fee, being the "owner" of the player, and then use the money to pay their players way into clubs at lower level so they can compete. And if someone stands out, then they get a share or all of the transfer up. They are an academy that is also a macro-agent and placement agency. 

Just a month ago the deal was: Jove Español accepted a sponsorship and three players, all from GISS, the others Australian. But I am pretty sure that Adam has not played after 6 games and the others, I dont think have either. 

Interesting story.

I am regulary in touch with him and he actually played today. In fact he has tweeted at us directly:

https://twitter.com/adamappz/status/650753513727885312

I say all power to him, his academy now has someone playing for AC Milan. And quite a few in 2B in Spain. It could be a good formula, rather than the players going out on their own with their own agents into the open market. 

I don't knock lower tier, I watch a lot. Issey was playing for a team in 6th and was surprised by how good they were (they promoted). I saw a 5th tier game a few weeks ago that was fabulously played by both teams, in fact one of the players had a cap with Equatorial Guinea. If you play and are noticed you can step up. I'll say one thing though: right now if you want to play in 5th tier Spain you won't be paid, the vast majority are not. So I am not really sure how he lives. Even 3rd tier has low salaries now, below living standard, the sponsorships have slipped by 70%. So I imagine the money they get from GISS goes to keeping these kids alive.

Still, if he is confident and wants to try, I'd say leave GISS, get a local agent, and go try out for 2A and 2B teams in Spain, you might find yourself a proper pro contract.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

GISS charges players to attend their academy.  I am sorry I can't remember the exact amount that I was told a couple of years ago, but at least $3500.  Might have been more. That was for a season or year.

Thanks. That is not that much, sounds reasonable considering they really do seem to find decent clubs for a lot of players. I have however read some rather disparaging news stories from various smaller Spanish papers about how unhappy this or that club is or was with the owner of GISS.

I have been thinking about the GISS money.  $6000 is actually what I think I was told by a mother whose son was offered a spot a couple of years ago.  She said no way. But a few players from the GTA did go for it. I said a low number first, even though the $6000 came to me first.  Then I thought I must be remembering wrong, too high.  More I thought about it, it is the higher number. I remember her outrage and my surprise at the figure.

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/mother-of-all-canadians-abroad-list/

Ok, it is also in the navigation menu now.

Will this work as interm solution until something can be done with a database?

Can I suggest some things on the formatting of the doc? 

1. Let's not try to use country colors in the headers for dividers. There are several people that are color blind that use this forum, and they will not be able to read some of those.

2. Put a space between the countries.

3. In trying to keep it to fit, I would drop the twitter, as we can replace the users name with a link to the players profile which will include a twitter block.  I would not drop the stats, those are the most interesting thing.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Edited by socceronly