Gold Cup- Canada vs Jamaica- July 11- Houston, Texas

king1010

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's not just the coaching. Maybe it's just that we aren't as good as we think we are. Just look at our lineup for this tournament and compare it to Jamaica's, for example.

We dont even play our best players because the coach doesnt start them.

Maybe it's not just the coaching. Maybe it's just that we aren't as good as we think we are. Just look at our lineup for this tournament and compare it to Jamaica's, for example.

I said going into the tournament that Jamaica are better. However, doesn't excuse Floro's baffling lineups or one striker system against average concacaf opposition

If we could get a journalist to ask Floro what he was thinking with playing Hainault in central midfield, that would be great. Because I can't figure it out. He's never played there in his entire career, throw him in that spot at the end of a crucial Gold Cup match? Guess where the header came from, right down the middle of the park.

Mostly caught the 2nd half, but I have to say that I am very frustrated after these two games. It seems to me that Floro has no intention of adapting to what is happening on the field. I honestly can't even tell what our strategy is going forward. Balls to the striker, who flicks them on, but there's almost never anyone making a supporting run. Crosses coming in with nobody in the box. It seems like our central midfielders never have a clue as to what to do when they get the ball at their feet. Very disapointing performances. Missing Johnson and Hutchinson is suposed to hurt, but not this much. There's suposed to still be something resembling a gameplan to be followed. Losing is one thing. Losing like this is another. Good thing we went so defensive against a weak offensive team. God forbid we do any better than a 0-0 tie. Oops. Didn't quite happen.

Ricketts was marking Lawrence, missed a tackle, and then instead of tracking, bailed on the play.  Edgar ended up having to mark Lawrence on the near post when he could have been playing center because of it.  right as the goal is scored, Edgar runs screaming towards Ricketts just yelling his head off at him as Ricketts hangs his head. 

Meanwhile Straith doesn't track the run and turns into a spectator. 

What a sad display of football.

No ideas, no creativity, no awareness, no build up, no chances.

I think our pressing defensive tactics are solid against less technically sound teams so we can try and hit them on the counter. The problem is that it seems like our only idea, to the point where we'd rather not have possession just so we can *hopefully force them into a mistake.

It has to be said that the play in these first two games has been a step backwards for the program on many levels; results-wise and aesthetically. To make matters worse, we are losing without even playing some of our good young players.

If I don't see some level of ambition to take three points against Costa Rica with our backs against the wall I really do think the CSA should take a long, hard look at who runs the program moving forward. What we just watched does not cut it tactically.

Sorry for continuing the rant but, what was our best case scenario in Floro's mind? Three draws of 0-0 then penalties the rest of the way? Or draw the worst two teams in the group and hope to beat the best team? Makes no sense.

Frustrated.

Ricketts was marking Lawrence, missed a tackle, and then instead of tracking, bailed on the play. Edgar ended up having to mark Lawrence on the near post when he could have been playing center because of it. right as the goal is scored, Edgar runs screaming towards Ricketts just yelling his head off at him as Ricketts hangs his head.

Yeah I noticed the same thing - Edgar was pissed

Maybe it's not just the coaching.  Maybe it's just that we aren't as good as we think we are.  Just look at our lineup for this tournament and compare it to Jamaica's, for example.

Right now we are deliberately not as good as we think we are. If you leave some of the more talented players on the bench and deliberately hope at best for a 0-0 draw by playing defenders in midfield, then you are asking for results like this. I mean we ended the game playing four central defenders, two of them in midfield. The central midfield trio was Straith Hainault & 34 year old De Guzman who is a d-mid at this point in his career (and has been for some time). Of course we weren't going to get a goal at the end.

We will now be forced to play attacking soccer against CR, which we are simply not capable of and the player pool is no where near suchquality to perform attacking style of soccer vs decent teams. CR will probably blow us out with our defense being more open and they will try to take 1st in the group over Jamaica. 

Archived