Gold Cup- Canada vs Jamaica- July 11- Houston, Texas

king1010

We could have the best coach in the world and that would change nothing. Put the best Canadian 11 on the field and we wouldn't even make the final hex. Our players constantly make unforced errors that you rarely see in the top 10 Concacaf nation. We are where we are and we will remain there for a foreseeable future. No power at the front. What is our goal average when we play decent opposition? 1 goal every 270 minutes? It's so frustrating.  

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could have the best coach in the world and that would change nothing. Put the best Canadian 11 on the field and we wouldn't even make the final hex. Our players constantly make unforced errors that you rarely see in the top 10 Concacaf nation. We are where we are and we will remain there for a foreseeable future. No power at the front. What is our goal average when we play decent opposition? 1 goal every 270 minutes? It's so frustrating.

How about we start with a coach that actually puts our best players on the pitch? Then we judge.

Again, playing to not lose with no sense of attack on the ground, using the same, FAILED, long ball out of the back idea which I have not seen as a prescribed strategy since Lenarduzzi was coach, and stupid player selection leaves me completely baffled.  

We will have little chance in WCQ group with this kind of crap.  Removing Larin and Akindele, neither of whom got any decent service from the midfield - oh, wait - and replacing with Haber and Tiebert did not change a thing. Of course, if you want to get a goal, obviously you put Hainault in to the match.  Unfathomable!

Floro appears to have no clue how to manage a match.  No Osorio?  No recognition that de Jong was outpaced, that Piette was a time bomb with brutal passing, that Ricketts is fast but otherwise useless?  I mean, any one of us could have managed that lineup better.  Larin is not a back to goal guy.  Akindele needs to run at players and have support, not run after the long ball into double teams.

To complain of this after the El Salvador match is one thing - "we'll get better" - but to see the same rubbish two matches in a row is a joke.  Now, we absolutely need a solid result against Costa Rica with a two or three for and a clean sheet to have a hope.  

Jamaica hardly ever played the boot and chase, and their goal came after repeated attacks through the midfield, down the wing, whatever, but Floro had us playing a pedestrian long ball style, not even an effective counter attack.  All together unacceptable.

So, how much do we bet that Floro presents the same guys with the same tactics against the Ticos who have seen us play, poorly, twice.  One hopes for a tie between them and ES.

Good night!  Again, this is so frustrating. If we go out in three, then, and I am quite serious, Floro needs to be dropped, fired, dismissed before the next qualifier, so a new guy can see the team twice before the group stage, assuming that we advance past the next opponent.

I do not put this on the players.  This is on Floro.  Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish!!!

After watching today, we are a long way from respectability in CONCACAF.  A different selection of players would help but not sure it would have produced a goal.  Jamaica generated most of the good chances and deserved the win.  Looks like the re-build will be ongoing for more years yet.  Depressing.

Please U23s, give us some hope for the future!

Ask yourselves,why are we setup to play for draws against the likes of a Jamaica and El Salvador? Where does that get us in WCQ?

Yes, makes no sense.

Furthermore, how would a draw today have helped at all in advancing to the quarterfinals? That would give us 2 points going into the last game with CR.

I'm not saying that Floro should get a pass.  But to steal a phrase from a soccer-hating broadcaster, you can't make chicken salad from chicken turd.  And yes, even having players like Ledgerwood, Straith, and Bekker (notwithstanding their commitment to the national team) in a confederation championship is approaching chicken turd territory.

Ask yourselves,why are we setup to play for draws against the likes of a Jamaica and El Salvador? Where does that get us in WCQ?

To answer your first question, to prevent potentially getting murdered 4 or 5-0.  The second question answers itself.  

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

I'm not saying that Floro should get a pass.  But to steal a phrase from a soccer-hating broadcaster, you can't make chicken salad from chicken turd.  And yes, even having players like Ledgerwood, Straith, and Bekker (notwithstanding their commitment to the national team) in a confederation championship is approaching chicken turd territory.

The problem is that two (or arguably all of the three) players you named are at least second choice to be starting! You're right, they should've never been in the starting XI, because they are chicken turds. 

I haven't posted since the 8-1 drubbing at the hands of Honduras. I really admire you guys, you continue to support the team, live and die....almost always die, with this team, and continue to do so. They haven't scored at the Gold Cup in 7 light years, but here I found myself thinking, just get out of this at nil-nil and we'll beat CR when we get a home game....then Jamaica tallied as they rightfully deserved. Don't talk players, or tactics, we are simply no good, anyone we put out there can't beat a country who's gross domestic product wouldn't rival a prairie province. These players should have a target on their jersey, not the maple leaf. I don't know whether to support them for their efforts, or wonder why they would volunteer for this mess.

We can build very competitive hockey players, so why can't we do it with soccer? This continues to be a very embarrassing situation for our country, this is the world game and we suck at it. I will continue to watch, in blind faith, that things will improve.

Sadly, the only way to get away with something for Canada against decent opposition in a competitive match away from home is to aim at a nil-nil draw. Otherwise the chances of a blowout are huge. That's why all the coaches that we hired in recent times (Who are not stupid by the way) are doing the same thing. There must be a reason..... 

Piette had some horrid passing today but that doesn't excuse Larin and Akindele from some lazy movement and a lack of any link-play or ambition with the service they did get today from the fullbacks and JDG. The two are definitely not guiltless for the insipid attack today before Teibert came on.

Teibert needs to start at RW vs. Costa Rica, and Osorio has to be drafted into the starting XI.

I haven't posted since the 8-1 drubbing at the hands of Honduras. I really admire you guys, you continue to support the team, live and die....almost always die, with this team, and continue to do so. They haven't scored at the Gold Cup in 7 light years, but here I found myself thinking, just get out of this at nil-nil and we'll beat CR when we get a home game....then Jamaica tallied as they rightfully deserved. Don't talk players, or tactics, we are simply no good, anyone we put out there can't beat a country who's gross domestic product wouldn't rival a prairie province. These players should have a target on their jersey, not the maple leaf. I don't know whether to support them for their efforts, or wonder why they would volunteer for this mess.

We can build very competitive hockey players, so why can't we do it with soccer? This continues to be a very embarrassing situation for our country, this is the world game and we suck at it. I will continue to watch, in blind faith, that things will improve.

We support them because if we don't, then no one will.  And I'm hoping someday all of this will be worth it.

The members here have said it and there isn't much more to add. We have every reason after these two performances to demand changes and even for the head coach to be removed. 

It doesn't matter where you coached and what you've won, if you can't keep yourself up-to-date and don't have a proper understanding of international soccer/tournaments, you just shouldn't be there.

The only thing I would add is that I'd want to see a coaching change now, before the CR game so that we can give ourselves a chance to win. Bring in Fonseca as an interim and he'd have nothing to lose, he'd just become a hero if we get through. It might be extreme, but with this coach we'd just play the same players, same tactics and same everything else as if we only need a draw to get through. Only changes he'd make are forced changes because of suspensions...

I believe this is my first post even though I signed a few years ago... 

Not sure what to say.. Floro is a decent coach (saw him in Mexico coaching Monterrey) but some decisions have been strange. Regardless, players need to held accountable.. Ricketts needs to convert that chance, Straith needs to track the run and Ricketts needs to hold the ball in the last minute

I dont expect much out of the game from Costa Rica.. and maybe that is for the best.. We should get through the next round of WCQ (maybe with some drama) and pray for the best.. 

It is frustrating and disappointing.. =(

I don't mind playing a defensive system and looking to counter teams but you cannot really hope to win when you start the match with 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders and then end the match with 6 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch. Sure. Bunker down and get men behind the ball but that doesn't mean you can't have offensive players on the pitch who are able to counter when we get the ball.

Christ. We have been playing El Salvador and Jamaica for Christ sakes. Are we going to start a match against Mexico with 7 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders then.

Terrible tactics 2 games in a row. Assuming the same at home to Costa Rica, his head should role

Archived