Gold Cup- Canada vs Jamaica- July 11- Houston, Texas

king1010

I'm as confused as everyone else, but what can you do at this point. Honestly, it looked like most of our players were completely gased after 55 minutes or so. Not an excuse, but that's how it looked to me. I thought we did really well in the first 20 minutes. After that ... Well, let's not talk about that.

I don't know what to think about Floro's player selection. I will say that I'd rather have good players on the bench than not have them at all. If Floro goes, those players will still be there for the next coach to use. The ONLY thing that makes me not want to cry tonight is the fact that we have some real quality players who are not playing... Not only RT and JO, but Hutch, Henry, Borjan, Will J. etc

Of course, Hutch will have to pray that he can wrestle his starting spot back from Adam Straith!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hesitant to really criticize Floro due to the fact that some of the players have spoken highly of him. But having De Guzman AND Piette playing in front of Straith just doesn't make sense to me no matter how many different ways I look at it. Also, those shots of Floro looking like he was complaining about what was happening on the pitch to the players on the bench didn't install confidence in me. Forget about talking to those guys, manage the team on the pitch. 

We started well but as the game got stretched in the 2nd half, this is where there was opportunity to counter Jamaica and I felt like we were playing with way too much space between the bank of midfielders in front of the back line (Straith, De Guzman and Piette) and our front 3. I think you gotta take a chance and push one of those guys further forward to link up with the front 3. I was really hoping with 20 minutes to go we'd see Osorio come on for Piette or Straith and push him further forward. I know we were under pressure, especially the last 20 minutes or so, but I think you gotta take a chance and beat Jamaica to that first goal. 

Canada would need to beat CR and SLV would have to lose OR DRAW against Jamaica to make it I think.

We beat CR and SLV draws and the table would be JAM 5, CAN 4, SLV 3, CR 2

We beat CR and SLV loses and the table would be JAM 7, CAN 4, CR & SLV 2

We beat CR and SLV wins and the table would be SLV 5, JAM & CAN 4, CR 2

There is an outside chance that a high-scoring draw with CR would be enough, but SLV would have to lose, and the stars would have to align in the other groups.

We beat CR and SLV draws and the table would be JAM 5, CAN 4, SLV 3, CR 2

We beat CR and SLV loses and the table would be JAM 7, CAN 4, CR & SLV 2

We beat CR and SLV wins and the table would be SLV 5, JAM & CAN 4, CR 2

There is an outside chance that a high-scoring draw with CR would be enough, but SLV would have to lose, and the stars would have to align in the other groups.

Well its still in Canada's hands. Which makes Tuesdays game at least somewhat exciting after tonight's letdown.

And not that I wouldn't have preferred better results against El Salvador and Jamaica, but I'm almost glad in retrospect that we're on 1 pt instead of everyone tied at 2.  The temptation might have been to play for the draw against CR and hope that 3 pts would do it.  At least now it's much clearer: a win is the only realistic way through.  Hope we pull it out of the fire.

This is a good post. We are still in it. I'm also quite disappointed at how defensive we have been but the truth is that if we had put away a couple of gilt edged chances we'd now have 4 points. There is no reason we can't beat Costa Reeka at home. In football luck tends to even out and we are due.

Piette's and Ledgerwood's forced absences will ensure at least two roster changes, though I think there should be two more, imo, based on what I've seen from the first two matches.

Kenny -  really good

DeJong - terrible (no defense and today no offense)

Edgar - realy good game - much better than the first game

Jakovic - really good

Ledgerwood - ok/poor - this is about the level where he starts looking poor; but he is a much smarter fouler than deJong - both are too slow though

Straith - pretty good game

Piette - some good and some bad but mostly poor

de Guz - really good game except at the very end he needed to close that cross down faster

Akindele - poor

Larin - poor

Rickets - poor

Haber - ok

Tiebert - good. He has desire and the legs to go 90...

Floro - disaster.

I am not one to call out a coach very quickly but it sure looks like he may be a complete farce. He needs to be asked about Oso and Teibert, and Morgan for that matter. Could there be a good reason?

Piette, JDG, and even Straith are good at what they do: play the defensive mid spot well and break up opposition attacks. What they cannot do is go forward. They are all DMs...

Straith has played well, but for our next game I would replace him with Piette, and insert Osorio into midfield. I would also start Teibert over Akendele, and Jackson over Ricketts. Ricketts has had plenty of time out there and isn't very effective in attack, let's see what someone else can do.

Agreed that Floro's lack of ambition is troubling. Especially against El Salvador, go for the win for christ's sake!!!!

Well the Piette inclusion will allow us some attacking flair by bringing Bekker back in the lineup :/

I've always felt since like 2008 that JDG is at his best for us when he's not responsible for being the true holding mid and can venture forward a bit more freely, so if we're going to play him as one mid and then Straith or someone as the DM I'm OK with that.  But then you need a guy who can actually do something with the ball as the other CM.

So pretty much

de Jong ---> Morgan

Ledgerwood ---> ??? (Ouimette?)

Piette ---> Osorio

Rickets ---> Teibert/Jackson

I'm sorry but Ricketts should be nothing but a late game sub. How many times are we going to watch him blow a gilt-edged scoring chance? he did it in 8-1 and he did it last night.

If we do not have a better option, then that's an indictment of where we are and I guess we deserve every shitty performance and result that comes to us. I just find it very difficult to believe that someone else in that position could not bring more to the table. yes, the replacement would not be as fast but surely we can find someone with other qualities that would outweigh what Ricketts brings.

Ask yourselves,why are we setup to play for draws against the likes of a Jamaica and El Salvador? Where does that get us in WCQ?

it basically, says.. no progress.  that substitution when Hainault was brought in late in a 0-0 game against Jamaica says that the coach thinks draw would have been a success. 

Right now we are deliberately not as good as we think we are. If you leave some of the more talented players on the bench and deliberately hope at best for a 0-0 draw by playing defenders in midfield, then you are asking for results like this. I mean we ended the game playing four central defenders, two of them in midfield. The central midfield trio was Straith Hainault & 34 year old De Guzman who is a d-mid at this point in his career (and has been for some time). Of course we weren't going to get a goal at the end.

yes. i mentioned in the chat room here during teh game, that in most places in the world, people would be calling for the coaches head if he started a domestic second division player in MF ahead of one or two domestic first division regular starters whose clubs are in the top half of the standings.  and furthermore that second division players was not even played in his desired position.  Floro put JDG in AM.  

PS.:  i wonder if Osorio is injured?. 

I'm sorry but Ricketts should be nothing but a late game sub. How many times are we going to watch him blow a gilt-edged scoring chance? he did it in 8-1 and he did it last night.

If we do not have a better option, then that's an indictment of where we are and I guess we deserve every shitty performance and result that comes to us. I just find it very difficult to believe that someone else in that position could not bring more to the table. yes, the replacement would not be as fast but surely we can find someone with other qualities that would outweigh what Ricketts brings.

Ricketts can be useful because of his speed but he should be playing up as a striker either alone or alongside Larin.  He needs to be fed balls up the middle to chase down.  He should not be making plays. 

As usual after we lose in terrible fashion I watch the last 20 mins of the actual one happy moment of Canadian soccer in the past 5 years (2012 v Panama), and yeah its nice seeing Ricketts come on in the 70th minute and just blast past defenders on three separate occasions (take it to the corner dammit!).  

Which is what he's good for. I mean RIcketts up top is optimal but even if you just flip the roles of Teibert and Ricketts...

it basically, says.. no progress. that substitution when Hainault was brought in late in a 0-0 game against Jamaica says that the coach thinks draw would have been a success.

I mostly felt that way too, but part of me thought Floro was putting on an extra body that could be one more aerial target for a late free kick. Problem is we would need good service on set pieces for that to work.

Watch Akindele pull a Cavallini after this tournament. Imagine experiencing this clusterfukc including the crazy travel and packed schedule, risking your club spot and watching WJ prioritize his. I think a lot of people would be demoralized after their first go around and, if you think this was soulーcrushing to watch on tv, imagine how it must have felt being on the actual pitch, 8-1 or not.

Watch Akindele pull a Cavallini after this tournament.

I was thinking the same thing.  Not to mention RT and JO thinking WTF ... especially JO, who is friends with LC, correct?

We just have to hope and believe that they love Canada enough to stick with us.

Archived