Greg Ranjitsingh

Crepeau has played almost as many (full time USL starter) and gotten a cameo in MLS.  Similar level sure, except Ranjitsignh is gone and Crepeau is ours. A few years ago when he made his decision he wasnt going to get a call from us.  And as much as I would like to cast a wide net in case any of the young keepers turn into something special, good for him and good luck with T+T.  The pining over players that are gone or have shown no interest in canada just baffles me sometimes.  

26 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Crepeau has played almost as many (full time USL starter) and gotten a cameo in MLS.  Similar level sure, except Ranjitsignh is gone and Crepeau is ours. A few years ago when he made his decision he wasnt going to get a call from us.  And as much as I would like to cast a wide net in case any of the young keepers turn into something special, good for him and good luck with T+T.  The pining over players that are gone or have shown no interest in canada just baffles me sometimes.  

I’m fairly sure in this case Canada never pursued him

1 minute ago, jordan said:

I’m fairly sure in this case Canada never pursued him

Thats my point, even now he would barely on the radar, and he made his decison to go with T+T several years ago.  Good for him that he is a starter on a very good USL team, but he isnt the best keeper in USL this year (crepeauis and he is with us).  

Why not Crepeau AND Ranjatsingh? And throw in Vaikla while we're at it. Look at our keeper depth after Borjan:

Leutweiler (29/89) Championship backup

Thomas (28/90) Norway D2 starter

Crepeau (24/94) USL top GK

Alessandro Busti (18/2000)  Italy D3 3rd string

Who's to say any of these guys in 5 years time is playing at a level adequate enough to step up and be our #1??

Go even further and guys like Viscosi who just got relegated in Finland and Monsalve wherever he is...more is better because you just never know.

Sure more is better, but why would they all say yes and burn their dual chances,  just to be 6th or 8th on our depth chart??   And when would we have cap tied these guys??  We cant stockpile all these young dual keepers in the hopes they will become something,  I'd love to have a deep pool of guys getting lots of minutes, but when would we have played Ranjatsingh ahead of the guys we did play??  We have enough trouble finding games to cap tie any goalie (Leutwiler/Creapeau/Busti)  Its a fact of life that some guys with other options and a shorter journey to the top keeper spot will will choose another country (Vaikla).  Just like Leutwiler choose us over Switzerland.  You win some, you lose some.  

38 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Why not Crepeau AND Ranjatsingh? And throw in Vaikla while we're at it. Look at our keeper depth after Borjan:

Leutweiler (29/89) Championship backup

Thomas (28/90) Norway D2 starter

Crepeau (24/94) USL top GK

Alessandro Busti (18/2000)  Italy D3 3rd string

Who's to say any of these guys in 5 years time is playing at a level adequate enough to step up and be our #1??

Go even further and guys like Viscosi who just got relegated in Finland and Monsalve wherever he is...more is better because you just never know.

Looking at this list, I'm wondering if you should include the possibility of having 50 years old Pat Onstad coming out of retirement to start the GC in case Borjan isn't available...

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Sure more is better, but why would they all say yes and burn their dual chances,  just to be 6th or 8th on our depth chart??   And when would we have cap tied these guys??  We cant stockpile all these young dual keepers in the hopes they will become something,  I'd love to have a deep pool of guys getting lots of minutes, but when would we have played Ranjatsingh ahead of the guys we did play??  We have enough trouble finding games to cap tie any goalie (Leutwiler/Creapeau/Busti)  Its a fact of life that some guys with other options and a shorter journey to the top keeper spot will will choose another country (Vaikla).  Just like Leutwiler choose us over Switzerland.  You win some, you lose some.  

Why not? Why can't you stock pile them? All you have to do is court them and sell them on your program and let them make the decision. If Ranjatsingh wants to be a T&T international then so be it. If Vaikla says no, ok move on. But to act like we don't need as much as depth as possible is foolish and to not want to take away a players other options in some altruistic way because that's a mean thing to do is naive as hell. Sports is ruthless. If we stockpile these guys and they're our #6 option when they could have been top 3 for a weaker country i'm not going to feel bad about it. It's about building a program, if you want to be a nice guy you're in the wrong business.

Edited by jpg75

Go ahead, try and stockpile every 18-21 year old dual prospect and see how successful you are at getting them to commit to a team where they wont get a game.  We barely play enough games to get the guys we have poached off other countries into the program (Leutwiler).  What kind of story were you going to spin in 2016 to USL back up Ranjatsingh that was going to make him turn down a real chance with T+T, we sure werent calling him up at that time.   Maybe if you pan out 3-4 years from now if we have an injury or two you might get a friendly?? Give me a break.  Me not wanting depth or not cap tieing guys out of any sense of altruism is crazy.  Hell, go ahead poach as many dual kids as you can get, and aim higher than USL please.  Snag me a some high profile dual CDN CB while you are at it.  Oh right they dont want to commit to canada either.  

Go ahead, try and stockpile every 18-21 year old dual prospect and see how successful you are at getting them to commit to a team where they wont get a game.  We barely play enough games to get the guys we have poached off other countries into the program (Leutwiler).  What kind of story were you going to spin in 2016 to USL back up Ranjatsingh that was going to make him turn down a real chance with T+T, we sure werent calling him up at that time.   Maybe if you pan out 3-4 years from now if we have an injury or two you might get a friendly?? Give me a break.  Me not wanting depth or not cap tieing guys out of any sense of altruism is crazy.  Hell, go ahead poach as many dual kids as you can get, and aim higher than USL please.  Snag me a some high profile dual CDN CB while you are at it.  Oh right they dont want to commit to canada 

It has nothing to do with stockpiling 18-21 year olds or bringing Ranjatsingh into the fold in 2016. I'm talking here and now. Why are you so offended that people might want to add keeper depth? Crepeau and Ranjatsingh are a year apart, Crepeau is the better keeper now, but that can change. What do we have to lose approaching Ranjatsingh? Be honest with him, tell him he's close to our top 5 and if he breaks into MLS he has a real shot to get called up. If we poach him from T&T and weaken them in the process even better. If he says no then that's fair too, but i sure won't wish him luck.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

It has nothing to do with stockpiling 18-21 year olds or bringing Ranjatsingh into the fold in 2016. I'm talking here and now. Why are you so offended that people might want to add keeper depth? Crepeau and Ranjatsingh are a year apart, Crepeau is the better keeper now, but that can change. What do we have to lose approaching Ranjatsingh? Be honest with him, tell him he's close to our top 5 and if he breaks into MLS he has a real shot to get called up. If we poach him from T&T and weaken them in the process even better. If he says no then that's fair too, but i sure won't wish him luck.

Earlier you mentioned a few names to go after. Ranjitsingh, Monsalve, Viscosi, and Vaikla. That’s 4 keepers to cap tie. What games are we going to use to cap tie all of them? The next two nations league qualifiers? Presumably we want Borjan to actually play in the Gold Cup right? So then we still have to use up 2 more games in nations league proper for cap tying these keepers.

I don’t have a problem with cap tying in general, but at a point you need to actually play your best instead of benching him for your 8th best, then 9th best, and so on.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

Earlier you mentioned a few names to go after. Ranjitsingh, Monsalve, Viscosi, and Vaikla. That’s 4 keepers to cap tie. What games are we going to use to cap tie all of them? The next two nations league qualifiers? Presumably we want Borjan to actually play in the Gold Cup right? So then we still have to use up 2 more games in nations league proper for cap tying these keepers.

I don’t have a problem with cap tying in general, but at a point you need to actually play your best instead of benching him for your 8th best, then 9th best, and so on.

Viscosi and Monsalve i mentioned as some of our depth GK's, ones that "belong" to us already but are way down our depth chart. Monsalve is 30 and eligible for Colombia, he's not going anywhere and Viscosi i know next to nothing about other than he's 27 and his team TPS just got relegated.

Neither Vaikla or Ranjatsingh would require cap-tying as they have played official youth matches for their respective countries and would need to file their one-time switch to play for us.

Vaikla would be the priority, i'd tell him that he'd be called in next March and given a chance to prove himself. What happens from there is up to him.

Ranjatsingh you appeal to his patriotism and play the long game, ask him to take a hiatus from accepting T&T call ups. Tell him if he breaks in at a higher level he'll get a call up to Canada. See what he says, worse thing he can say is no.

53 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Viscosi and Monsalve i mentioned as some of our depth GK's, ones that "belong" to us already but are way down our depth chart. Monsalve is 30 and eligible for Colombia, he's not going anywhere and Viscosi i know next to nothing about other than he's 27 and his team TPS just got relegated.

Neither Vaikla or Ranjatsingh would require cap-tying as they have played official youth matches for their respective countries and would need to file their one-time switch to play for us.

Vaikla would be the priority, i'd tell him that he'd be called in next March and given a chance to prove himself. What happens from there is up to him.

Ranjatsingh you appeal to his patriotism and play the long game, ask him to take a hiatus from accepting T&T call ups. Tell him if he breaks in at a higher level he'll get a call up to Canada. See what he says, worse thing he can say is no.

Wasn’t familiar with Viscosi, couldn’t remember if Monsalve was tied to us but your context made it seem like he wasn’t. I believe you are wrong about Ranjitsingh. I don’t see any evidence of him having played for T&T youth teams on transfermarkt, Wikipedia, or this thread. You are better than me at remembering that kind of thing than I am so maybe I am missing something.

Anyways, if he plays for the CMNT someday, great. But I am going to continue to try to not get worked up about dual nationals that aren’t an obvious upgrade to the CMNT. I’ll let the rest of the board do that for me :)

Both those keepers recently (Vikla/Ranjatsingh in last few years) made their decision NOT to play for canada and play for another country.  Go ahead and make your pitch, I agree it cant hurt, but the horse is out of the barn, the time to make the pitch was 3 years ago.  I'd love for a 1 time switch to bring us some depth (Leutwiler) but I doubt these 2 that just started off with their respective countries will switch anytime soon.   Time to move on and focus on other targets.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I believe you are wrong about Ranjitsingh. I don’t see any evidence of him having played for T&T youth teams on transfermarkt, Wikipedia, or this thread. You are better than me at remembering that kind of thing than I am so maybe I am missing something.

Yeah i can't find anything either. Pretty sure he was on the U20 qualifying squad for T&T, but there is only one match report and he didn't play that game. For the other 2 games the links are dead. So maybe he didn't. Either way it can't hurt to reach out and see if he's receptive.

18 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Yeah i can't find anything either. Pretty sure he was on the U20 qualifying squad for T&T, but there is only one match report and he didn't play that game. For the other 2 games the links are dead. So maybe he didn't. Either way it can't hurt to reach out and see if he's receptive.

It boggles my mind how soon game links die on CONCACAF’s site. I expect better, even from CONCACAF.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I still think if Canada approached him he would play for us. Trinidad keeps dropping the ball on him.

I get the feeling he has already turned down Trinidad. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_and_Tobago_national_football_team

Look at that team - he should clearly be getting caps or at least calls but he hasn’t since 2016.  That squad looks closer to St Kitts than our squad.  Canada should call him for sure and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t accept. 

34 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Did I miss something?

No you didnt miss anything, no word on a camp Poutine.  It comes up all the time, why dont we call Rajitsingh, or we should get Vitoria in a camp etc etc and then we skip chances for camps/friendlies.    Cue the sad charlie brown music........

No you didnt miss anything, no word on a camp Poutine.  It comes up all the time, why dont we call Rajitsingh, or we should get Vitoria in a camp etc etc and then we skip chances for camps/friendlies.    Cue the sad charlie brown music........

I'm not here to spread rumours but if what Godinho said about a February game is true, it would be the perfect opportunity to call-up Ranjitsingh, considering that foreign clubs are not required to release players because there is no FIFA window in February.