2015 Impact Season

Ruffian

A good weekend for the Impact, a road point in LA and three of the four teams chasing them for the last playoff spot lose this weekend, a KC win over Orlando today would make it a positive weekend of results for Montreal.    Also ensures TFC a playoff spot for the first time.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like President Joey Saputo is being sued by his former Bologna business partner for 5 MILLION dollars. Sounds kinda shady. What's going on and how does this effect the Impact. Had my doubts about the Bologna move.

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2015/9/12/9316843/joey-saputo-sued-by-joe-tacopina-over-unpaid-wages

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/09/12/poursuite-de-5-m-contre-saputo

I guess he should send his crackerjack International Relations VP to take of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Biello made the right adjustment

I’m sure many were wondering when they saw Reo-Coker, Donadel, and Bernier all in the starting line-up. Bernier and Recoker playing in front of Donadel This proved to be the right tactic as it forced DC to the outside where they couldn’t muster up much offence. This 4-1-4-1 line-up frustrated Espindola to the point he was running back to his defenders to try to mount an attack. Bernier and Reo-Coker turned that into failure thus giving Montreal total control of the match. Of course when #11 puts 2 into the old onion bag after 11 minutes it becomes unacceptable for the Impact to play without confidence.
Expectations will remain high now and just making the playoffs won’t be enough to quench the loyal followers. Next on the adjenda is a visit to Walt Disney World with the majic number set at 2. Any combination of wins by the Impact and or losses by Orlando totaling 2 ensures a post season appearance. 
I see no reason that 3rd place is not reachable despite 4 of the 5 remaing matches are on the road. If I recall correctly Montreal manged great results in Mexico during the spring without the Legend. Biello can relax more now with Piatti, Ciman, and Romero coming back and hopefully Mapp and Mallace.
This will given the depth he needs as both Ciman and Donadel will again be suspended if they get any yellow cards which is likely.

• 2 weeks later...

If neither Toronto nor Vancouver does much to distinguish themselves in the MLS playoffs, is the 2015 Impact season the most successful of any Canadian team during the MLS era?

No that would go to the Canadian team that wins a post season game (or 6 :) ). Impact getting closer.

Huge road win in Colorado. Didn't see it as I was watching Oly-Qual but highlights show keeper and striker getting it done. 1-0 means the whole team played well in mile high city. 4 points between Montreal and Orlando with 2 games remaining each.

Huge road win in Colorado. Didn't see it as I was watching Oly-Qual but highlights show keeper and striker getting it done. 1-0 means the whole team played well in mile high city. 4 points between Montreal and Orlando with 2 games remaining each.

The whole team played terrible in this match, this was one of Montreal's worst performance of the season despite the win. Our saving grace was the Drogba goal and that Colorado is such a horrible team. Even Drogba was poor other than the wonder goal. Possession was 65-35 in favour of Colorado. Yes we had an early lead on the road but that is terrible possession stats against the worst team in the league. Also Romero seemed to be seriously injured in the game which would be a big loss for us although have not heard any update on how serious the injury is. The last 20 minutes of holding on for the win were incredibly sloppy. Sometimes you need to win games like that and we certainly lost our fair share of games this year where we were the better team but if we are going to do anything in the playoffs we need to play a lot better than that. Important 3 points though.

Also Romero seemed to be seriously injured in the game which would be a big loss for us although have not heard any update on how serious the injury is.

Confirmed today Romero is out for 6-9 months with an ACL tear in his right knee. Means we probably won't see him until next spring. Shame he never really got back to his early season form from last year although he played well at the start of this season he slowed down again and had not been much help in the last few games. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love the feel of playoff soccer in the cold. Reminds me of the NFL, it feels very primal. Can't criticize Montreal for much tonight but why the heck is Drogba on for 90'? I assume Saputo will shell out for a charter down to Columbus after Drobga's comments about air travel earlier.

It may be a bit blasphemous but Montreal's CCL runs always were a bit fluky, this playoff run features by far the best ever Impact team and feels deserved with complete team play rather than the result of bunkering and praying against clearly superior Liga MX teams

Congrats on being the first Canadian team to win a MLS playoff game. See you in the Cup Final :)

That is the best I've seen Bernier play in years. He was just so calm on the ball. Nice goal and even better assist. He and Piatti were both excellent.

Can't recall a better game played by Montreal. Start to finish. Was waiting for a silly yellow or red and it never came. Bernier was brilliant. And the sub for Bekker was fitting for him after the way thi go have gone. 

Has Biello just proven his coaching chops beyond a doubt?   

Can't recall a better game played by Montreal. Start to finish. Was waiting for a silly yellow or red and it never came. Bernier was brilliant. And the sub for Bekker was fitting for him after the way thi go have gone. 

Has Biello just proven his coaching chops beyond a doubt?   

I really underestimated Biello as a coach. He is not just a puppet unlike some in the Impact administration. He actually is like a chessmaster unlike Klopas who was so one dimensional and there was not much reason to his decisions. Biello factors in not only positions, and formation, but which players to use and at what times to insert them in. And it's not just about putting a player on the field for the sake of it, but I'm positive he considers players ambitions. Example - seeing Bernier in the starting line up wearing the Capt armband, he knew would give Bernier a supreme boost in confidence. He knew that Bernier, starting in Mtl first playoff game at home, against an arch rival would mean a lot to him and that he would be extra motivated to show his worth. Putting Duka instead of Oduro was also strategic ( one thing Oduro ran his butt of Sunday). I knew Biello would later insert Oduro to use his speed to conquer the tired TFC D like the speed of the flanking Calvary coming down for the kill. Also Oduro, playing against TFC, would want to prove something and that's why Bekker coming in was no surprise either and neither was his attempt on goal- what better to put a little salt on the wound. I'll give the Impact credit for being humble winners because honestly the second half was a lot less intense and I felt the impact really let their foot off the gas when they clearly could have put in more goals if they really wanted to - they didn't want to embarrass TFC who in my opinion had seemed like they conceded defeat by the early second half. 

Many had left this club for dead in June when their CCL run was clearly taking a toll on their league results. In my opinion, no matter what happens in the rest of 2015, this year's Impact squad is the most successful in the history of Canadian teams in MLS.

Unless the Whitecaps win it all.

Many had left this club for dead in June when their CCL run was clearly taking a toll on their league results. In my opinion, no matter what happens in the rest of 2015, this year's Impact squad is the most successful in the history of Canadian teams in MLS.

Unless the Whitecaps win it all.

No doubt some had wrote them off after the CCL final, and you know what- most of those opinions came from the center of the universe and the Toronto sports network, (damn they're so bias). They killed the game at second half with their commentating cause TFC were losing. Anyways - What's this bs saying the Impact came back from the foot of the table and were 9th??? Yeah like when? When they were in contention for a place in the FIFA club championships in Japan!???  And they call themselves soccer analysts? I guess they've never seen Liverpool neglect the league so they can win a European championship? The Impact had their full attention on CCL and if it were Biello coaching and Drogba playing they'd have won. As for the rest of the season they were mostly sitting at 6th place with 3 games in hand.  So even if they were 6th they really could've been 3rd, and in the end that's where they rightfully ended up despite Klopas losing points 8pts at home in August. The only real time the season was in jeopardy was when Klopas was predictable and losing at home thus losing the room with his zero philosophy.  If Biello didn't come in at the right time along with Drogbas scoring and leadership Impact would've finished 8th. 

Agreed.  Biello did a great job.  Good for him.  I was also happy for Bernier (after the game, that is).  Extremely disappointed in my team's feeble effort (guess captain Bradley wasn't wearing the US flag on his shirt) and shit-show defence but I am a Whitecaps/Impact fan for the rest of the playoffs!

The Impact should have some swagger going into the next round(S). Few teams if any can boast a similar record since the time Biello took over. They swept Columbus this season already. I'm not saying they should be overconfident but they should believe they're the favorites, even if they face the Energy Drinks.

So, with the CCL run in the spring is it time to say that Montreal have had the most successful season of any Canadian MLS club? Or should we wait until the playoffs are done? I'm not sure who's chances I like more in the semis; Montreal is on such a good run of form and Vancouver has been struggling as of late.

Also, good for Bekker for getting into the game and almost scoring against his old team. If he had managed to pot that he should have sprinted over to the TFC supporters and given them all the middle finger.

Bekker should have given TFC supporters the middle finger, look he was utter crap while he was with TFC so no real mystery why he was let go. If I can't perform at my job then I will be let go it's simple as that, Bekker while at TFC was crap so he was let go, simple as that, no big mystery why he was let go!

So, with the CCL run in the spring is it time to say that Montreal have had the most successful season of any Canadian MLS club? Or should we wait until the playoffs are done? I'm not sure who's chances I like more in the semis; Montreal is on such a good run of form and Vancouver has been struggling as of late.

I'd wait until the playoffs are over but I do like Montreal's chances. The only thing that concerns me is that they will be playing their third game in a week this Sunday. The injury bug has hit the Caps hard but we've had 11 days off and some players are either back (Techera) or close.

About Biello. What is his background coaching wise. He was assistant at Montreal for about 4 seasons but did he have any other experience or certifications? I'm asking because he's done a hell of a job over the last 2 months and seems at ease changing formations and players. So far he has got the mix right way more than wrong. Maybe he is just one of those people with a great soccer brain?

No doubt some had wrote them off after the CCL final, and you know what- most of those opinions came from the center of the universe and the Toronto sports network, (damn they're so bias). They killed the game at second half with their commentating cause TFC were losing. Anyways - What's this bs saying the Impact came back from the foot of the table and were 9th??? Yeah like when? When they were in contention for a place in the FIFA club championships in Japan!???  And they call themselves soccer analysts? I guess they've never seen Liverpool neglect the league so they can win a European championship? The Impact had their full attention on CCL and if it were Biello coaching and Drogba playing they'd have won. As for the rest of the season they were mostly sitting at 6th place with 3 games in hand.  So even if they were 6th they really could've been 3rd, and in the end that's where they rightfully ended up despite Klopas losing points 8pts at home in August. The only real time the season was in jeopardy was when Klopas was predictable and losing at home thus losing the room with his zero philosophy.  If Biello didn't come in at the right time along with Drogbas scoring and leadership Impact would've finished 8th. 

This and the previous post, very good, great analysis. Keep it up all the way to BC Place!!

I'm a TFC STH since the start, I watched Bekker play when he was at TFC like I said utter crap, he went to Dallas and again was just not good enough there. Now can he improve and become a good player for club and country of course it is possible but all I'm trying to say that his time at TFC and Dallas were not good ones so there is no surprise with the fact he was let go, look I'm a Canadian national team supporter so if he improves and can help the national team then great, but up to now he has not impressed but he is still young so you never know.

Archived