2015 Impact Season

Ruffian

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally watched the extended highlights from the first playoff game, great show by the Impact.

When did the fans install that bell? It's awesome! Is there significance or is it just because it's fucking cool?

It was installed buy one of the supporters group, I think 3 games ago. Montreal Mayor Coderre was the first one to ring the bell after each Impact goal. Just because it's fucking cool.

It was installed by the club for the fake supporter group 1642 that the club started. In truth it is a marketing idea from the team marketing office because they wanted some sort of goal ritual like Portland and New England. The bell connection to the city is a bit flimsy but there are a lot of churches in Montreal with bells and Mark Twain called Montreal a city of bells. Since the bell is American they also came up with some sort of story that it was from a church that was on property in the US that a Canadian owned who demolished the church but saved the bell. The story sounds pretty dodgy and hard to believe just like everything else that 1642 puts out in their numerous videos (that just happen to look a lot like the Impact videos), social media posts and radio/tv appearances in their 2 month existence. Made up rituals from marketing departments is so MLS, personally I think the bell is a ridiculous ritual and one that is used already by some American football teams.

For the record I also would have no problem with a genuine supporters group that was more family orientated and started by the club if they were honest and upfront about it. Not everyone needs to support the team in ultra style. However, the ridiculous BS one hears from 1642 about being independent and paying for everything themselves when it is clearly not the case and the way they have stolen so much from other supporter groups including their name really leaves a bad taste and makes one question what the motives of the club are in this. Again classic MLS, they want the Eiffel Tower but the fake Vegas version, ie. league and club controlled compliant fans doing what they are told instead of independent fans with real passion.

It was installed by the club for the fake supporter group 1642 that the club started. In truth it is a marketing idea from the team marketing office because they wanted some sort of goal ritual like Portland and New England. The bell connection to the city is a bit flimsy but there are a lot of churches in Montreal with bells and Mark Twain called Montreal a city of bells. Since the bell is American they also came up with some sort of story that it was from a church that was on property in the US that a Canadian owned who demolished the church but saved the bell. The story sounds pretty dodgy and hard to believe just like everything else that 1642 puts out in their numerous videos (that just happen to look a lot like the Impact videos), social media posts and radio/tv appearances in their 2 month existence. Made up rituals from marketing departments is so MLS, personally I think the bell is a ridiculous ritual and one that is used already by some American football teams.

For the record I also would have no problem with a genuine supporters group that was more family orientated and started by the club if they were honest and upfront about it. Not everyone needs to support the team in ultra style. However, the ridiculous BS one hears from 1642 about being independent and paying for everything themselves when it is clearly not the case and the way they have stolen so much from other supporter groups including their name really leaves a bad taste and makes one question what the motives of the club are in this. Again classic MLS, they want the Eiffel Tower but the fake Vegas version, ie. league and club controlled compliant fans doing what they are told instead of independent fans with real passion.

Wow, that's kind of depressing.

Bahhhh we've reached the end of the Impacts miraculous season. Doesn't seem like this match va Crew was in the cards. The officiating seriously has to improve. Can't believe some of the calls and non-calls. The Ciman penalty: he won the ball and was fighting for it. Sauro fouling Drogba clawing at his face and not getting a second yellow card - if Drogba went down maybe that would've changed things. Agh just leaves a bad taste. Anyways I'm satisfied how this club rebounded after a horrible season under Klopas and relative complacency. They made it all the way to the final of the Champions League, came up short in the Voyageurs Cup, finished third in the East and made it the eastern semis. Big improvement. 

In addition the game it all changed when Camara got on. Oyongo I find was better in the position.  Camara allowed the last cross to come in. Not sure if it was rust or just not fast enough to keep up against the the Crews #11.  Oh and Reo-Coker frustrates the fawk out of me!!! Seriously so many chances and there was a lack of composure. If they'd made it to PKs I am certain Bush could have got them to the east final. 

Too bad about the second leg. I was glad the PK was saved as no way was that a PK. Just a horrible call. Had several chances late to force a shoot out but just couldn't find the net.

Still a great season. Good luck next year.

Three horrible game changing calls.  One in favour of MTL and 2 in favour of Columbus.  Duka and Jack Mac were both offside on the 1st MTL goal and the 2nd CLB goal respectively and the PK call was a complete joke, typical ref trying to even things up.

Drogba was ineffective in this match and tough luck for Piatti to have that miss at the end, he really did rush it though.

I agree the Impact have to be fairly happy with this year. They have to keep Ciman around next season, hire Biello fulltime, sort out the center midfield and figure out some good forward backups because Drogba is not going to maintain interest and fitness for the whole season next year.

Really hope Saputo goes shopping for Drogba's successor before the end of 2016 and not wait til the July 2017 transfer window to open. Drogba is fantastic but it's evident he can't play full 90 minutes at his age at a constant rate. Not sure how he'll fair next year with a full 34 game schedule at 38 years old. 

Laurent Ciman voted best defenseman in the MLS. What an impressive season debut. Now there's a rumor from Belgium that Standard Liege want to bring him in for three months once the January transfer window opens. 

http://m.7sur7.be/7s7/m/fr/31262/Ligue-Jupiler/article/detail/2512261/2015/11/03/Le-Standard-songe-a-faire-revenir-Laurent-Ciman.dhtml?originatingNavigationItemId=1508

Ciman actually entertains the idea if the price is right. 

Great for both the Impact and Biello. Crazy that it's taken 18 years of combined play to get a Canadian head coach on a Canadian MLS club on a full time basis.

Wonder what this means for the Canadian talent on the club. Is Bernier back, having seen a resurgence under Biello? Does Lefevre become an everyday starting CB? Is Bekker signed for next year? Is Tissot still the odd man out in midfield? Where does Jackson-Hamel fit in?

Great for both the Impact and Biello. Crazy that it's taken 18 years of combined play to get a Canadian head coach on a Canadian MLS club on a full time basis.

Wonder what this means for the Canadian talent on the club. Is Bernier back, having seen a resurgence under Biello? Does Lefevre become an everyday starting CB? Is Bekker signed for next year? Is Tissot still the odd man out in midfield? Where does Jackson-Hamel fit in?

Good questions. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

Wonder what this means for the Canadian talent on the club. Is Bernier back, having seen a resurgence under Biello? 

That has been confirmed that Bernier will be back. (Olivier Tremblay) For Lefèvre, it all depends on what happens with Cabrera.  

He says that those 11 players are under contract for next year

Ciman Oyongo Bernier Donadel Mallace Reo-Coker Piatti Romero Venegas Drogba Williams

Mapp and Duka are out of contract and all the other players have an option that will or won't be exercised.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived