2015 Impact Season

Ruffian

Jackson-Hamel seemed to make a decent impression on Wednesday night.  Same for Tissot.  Did anyone see that game up close to confirm?  

What are his prospects going forward?  And are we going to see anything from Gagnon-Laparé

JH - Not on long but made a difference. He setup the second goal and was so calm on the ball in triple coverage that I thought it was Romero. 2 players on you and a third closing in but no panic just slight fakes to buy some time and let his teammates get open then a nice pass out of coverage to an open player. If he can be consistent at that type of behavior and play making he'll be a very good player.

Tissot - Was doing what a late sub should be doing. Running at tired defenders effectively. Got a nice shot on goal. I'll reserve further judgement until I see how he can do against a veteran defender like Beitishour. Going up against a rookie like Parker was a good start but hard to say how he'd do against a more experienced player.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not on long but made a difference. He setup the second goal and was so calm on the ball in triple coverage that I thought it was Romero. 2 players on you and a third closing in but no panic just slight fakes to buy some time and let his teammates get open then a nice pass out of coverage to an open player. If he can be consistent at that type of behavior and play making he'll be a very good player.

Almost had a goal too after some nice work with Piatti. 

^ Almost certainly in town to watch the F1 race.

Piatti is class, and Romero has bounced back from a poor year last year. Mapp will add something if he returns to his previous form.

Regarding Donadel, what does he offer that Bernier does not, other than a yellow card every 50 minutes or so?

Romero was great last year, he was team MVP. Two years ago he was poor. Bernier really showed in this game that he deserves to start over both Donadel and Reo-Coker, both of whom have been mediocre so far. Donadel relies too much on slide tackles and misstimes them too much resulting in either cards or the attacker getting by him while he takes himself out of the play which has cost us some important goals this year. 

Regarding Donadel, what does he offer that Bernier does not, other than a yellow card every 50 minutes or so?

I'll say this about Donadel. I'm not a big fan of his reckless play, but he's a better passer and has set up a goal from the corner which we didn't see at all last year. Aside from that, I don't see what's good in him.

Romero was great last year, he was team MVP. Two years ago he was poor. Bernier really showed in this game that he deserves to start over both Donadel and Reo-Coker, both of whom have been mediocre so far. Donadel relies too much on slide tackles and misstimes them too much resulting in either cards or the attacker getting by him while he takes himself out of the play which has cost us some important goals this year. 

Thanks. That's probably the year I was thinking of.

Another good result - what's this about NRC headed back to the UK?  Did anyone else hear anything about this rumour?

Is that recent?  I remember reading about it during/after the CCL of him going to Crystal Palace. Google gives me nothing on it in the past month.

I think giving the captain's armband to Piatti was more about the way he played with the armband in Dallas when Reo-Coker was sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, it takes a week to learn anything about Montreal's last match in New York.  I didn't see the match, and finally read from Lloyd Barker that they struggled to find their footing at Yankee Stadium, and never had much possession.  Seemed like a really odd game, and after playing so well, it seems strange that they lost that one.

I wish we could count on a bit more analysis on the games that Impact play, rather than a short summary.  Did Klopas make any adjustments?  etc. etc.  

plus, this week I've heard next to nothing about Kaka's visit to Montreal.  Interesting that the Brazil women will also be in town this weekend - there should be a real marketing plug for these two events, but so far, I've heard zero.

It's crazy how hard is to find out anything about the Impact, especially in English. As far as I know there's not even a supporter's message board with any traffic a la the southsiders or red patch boys forums

How is it crazy? It's not like English is the first language in Montreal.

The Montreal Gazette doe not even send a reporter to home games, Lloyd Barker's report often comes 2 or 3 days after the games. The Gazette sometimes has 2 or 3 stories about the Habs even during the off season. 

What is even more bizarre is that all games are on English radio TSN690 or CJAD 800 while only home games are on French radio 98.5. 

Are there really so few of us that are capable of reading something as prosaic as a match report in our country's other official language? Lots of decent French coverage out there.

With Google Translate it's just one more click.

can anyone share the key reporters and sites for Impact soccer that they use in French?  I was on the French speaking forum on the Impact website, and it didn't have any analysis so far as I could tell.

Cheers,

To add to the comments about Montreal - Orlando from the Canadians in MLS thread, yet another dominant performance at home by the Impact over a decent MLS side. And to quote Jonovision from that thread

(And don't look now, but the Impact are just one spot and two points back of Toronto, with one game in hand. One wouldn't have to look to hard to dig up posts from this spring proclaiming Montreal as the worst team in the league).

I wonder if some of the experts who posted this earlier in the thread will downgrade their self assessment as soccer geniuses.

Stade Saputo was not sold out but a decent sized crowd of  17820, not sure if that was due to Kaka or a Saturday evening game in good weather. Probably a bit of both. If the Impact keeps performing like this though one would expect attendance to improve as I am sure everyone there went home satisfied.

As to Kaka, he played very well the first time Orlando came to town in Olympic stadium but was absolutely invisible this time. At one point I had to check just to make sure he was on the field he was so uninvolved with play. Larin by contrast was their strongest player even though he got very little service which I think shows that his success this year is due to his own abilities not playing with Kaka (though certainly Kaka helps in those games that he does play well like the previous one in Montreal). Larin was constantly in the right place and making problems for our defenders whether or not his mids were able to get the ball to him or not. He created a few opportunities on his own which accounted for most of Orlando's scoring chances. The only other offensive player for Orlando who impressed me was Cristian Higuita. One player who was shockingly bad was Brek Shea. I remember he used to be a good player that I loved to hate but he seems a shadow of his former self now. Not sure if it is lost confidence from a bad experience in England or he never fully recovered from injuries/operations (which may have been the cause of his lack of success in England). He had a bit of a physical presence but otherwise offered nothing in attack and was a pylon in defence. 

On Montreal's side, like most Impact fans I have been a bit critical and disappointed in Reo-Coker so far but he played his best game for the Impact and Donadel was also good. Romero and Piatti were very good in attack and Tissot also played well on the opposite side. Toia had a great game and has really been a good addition and Oyongo also very strong with Ciman being very good and Soumare making a strong return beside him. And the guy called "the worst starting keeper in the league" by some of these same experts on this thread was once again very strong in net. We still have a lot of injuries but some of the guys are starting to come back. If we could sign one or two good DPs in the coming transfer window and improve our performance on the road we could even be a title threat this year. Klopas is also rotating the squad a lot so we shouldn't have players who are tired by the end of the year. It is even hard to see where Mapp fits in now when he comes back since Romero is playing so well and Duka who was having a good season will have to fight for his position too when he comes back.

Also since we are always bitching about MLS refs and we have had pretty bad ones most of the year, Edvin Jurisevic, was good tonight. 

can anyone share the key reporters and sites for Impact soccer that they use in French?  I was on the French speaking forum on the Impact website, and it didn't have any analysis so far as I could tell.

Cheers,

Dave Levesque from Journal de Montréal/QMI. (I know that John Limniatis has a column, but it doesn't look like it will be found online

Pascal Milano from La Presse

Marc Tougas from la90eminute.com (he's on all things Quebec soccer)

The thing is that RDS and TVA Sports have tons of journalists covering the Impact, but it's never the same, but Patrick Friolet from RDS and Nicolas A. Martineau from TVA Sports are the main ones.

Plus Patrick Leduc has a blog on RDS and grades the Impact's players on it. Olivier Brett and Claudine Douville also have their blogs on RDS.

I don't know a lot about TVA Sports, but Frédéric Lord writes rarely an article about the Impact and you have usually some nice finds in it.

Archived