2015 Impact Season

Ruffian

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Impact are starting to get shredded in the media over their handling of Bernier. Take the following article as an example:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/patrice-bernier-mls-major-league-soccer-montreal-impact-frank-klopas/

If it was just one player complaining about the club then that would be one thing, but five ... six ... seven players? Someone must be doing something wrong.

This used to be a club that took pride in it's local players. What message is the Impact sending its academy kids when it treats the player that these same kids look up to like old trash?

How are they treating Bernier badly? He's on the verge of retirement and lost his spot.

It could be because the Impact promised him something and he didn't get that said promise. Then again, it's Montreal and it's a circus.

I don't see him as a starter now and I think that it didn't help that his competitors were bad when they started. It's also  because he's a Québécois. IMO, if Bernier was from Scarborough, there would be next to no outrage from Impact fans.  It was the same thing in the English media where Grant Needham said that he thought that Bernier should have played more. Lloyd Barker said the same thing.

I think that most people think that he should play more because Reo-Coker has been abysmal. I still see Bernier behind Mallace, Donadel, Alexander. So, I shouldn't lose any sleep about the 4th midfielder.

There is this mentality here that because he's Québécois, he should play more, but we see the same thing when a Québécois isn't playing much for the Canadiens or is getting traded/not re-signed that the team hates Québécois.

I do think that the Bernier clan was a bit naive especially when he was probably the 4th defensive midfielder when he re-signed behind Felipe, Reo-Coker & Donadel.

He is 35, not making the CMNT, not taking his spot with great play. What do they expect? Do they expect him to be played in place of better players?

What message does it send? Simple, this is a pro sport. Take the spot and keep it by being better than anyone else and expect the club to bring in players at your position regularly. Beat them out for the spot by being clearly better. It is called reality. Sportsnet should visit it sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough stretch for the Impact right now without Piatti. Venegas was an inexplicable signing in a position of strength and the very early returns aren't good and it looks like Romero sucks again. I can understand why they had to do the McInerney trade (who scored tonight) but that 4-4-2 with he and Oduro was exactly made for these kind of games tonight where an opposing team just bunkers in. The underlying numbers like TSR are still good and Dogba should make a difference so they will likely make the playoffs but I think they are too think in central midfield to really make a big playoff push.

Agreed about Piatti - without him, they lack any creativity whatsoever.  Romero and Venegas couldn't provide it lat night.  Disagree about Venegas - he did all he could to create chances, and without him, they would have zero cover for Piatti (assuming Bernier continues to draw the ire of Klopas). He was one guy trying to make runs and move forward, but taking passes from Donadel or Mallace is almost a study in impossibility.  

Last night was a demonstration of how to limit chances from a team without much by way of creative spark in the middle.  They didn't let Auyongo make runs along the wings and limited chances of their short striker up top (Oduro was actually decent trying to hold up the ball for a little guy, but has a limited skill set).  And as usual Klopas left Mapp off until too late in the game, and Mallace and Donadel did little to provide any spark whatsoever.

This team has a leadership void that is looking worrying - and Klopas' days have to be numbered, especially given his reluctance to change things up once in a while from a 4-5-1.  Ciman is skeptical of the management of Impact, Piatti may be disinterested, Bernier has lost his credentials.  Drogba notwithstanding, this team could be in a heap of trouble with a few more losses.  Jack-Mac is now just another example of a disgruntled employee of a poor management structure that once in a while can make a great move forward after taking two steps back.  

Only hopes for this season are:

1. Mapp breaks out and helps up front with Drogba, with Oduro re-taking a position on the wings.  

2  Ciman re-signs as DP to keep him in Montreal

3. Montreal makes the playoffs before or after Klopas is fired.

If not, it will be tough to recruit guys to this team next season.  

The thing for Montreal is that with their games in hand and the tire fire that is the East they don't have to be great to make the playoffs. Is a six seed enough for Klopas to keep his job? Maybe it depends on the V. Cup but I don't know that firing your coach every year is the way to go.

I noticed that Tissot suddenly isn't good enough to crack the 18 for league games. I thought he was quite good in the first leg of the Voyageurs Cup final, and also quite good against Costa Rica. Those who have watched him more closely, how has his play been? Is he simply just pushed out of the midfield with the Venegas acquisition and Mapp's return?

He only plays on the left and Klopas loves Duka, it's bad luck really, hopefully Klopas gets fired and they bring in a coach that can see the value in a player like Tissot, although I have to assume that Tissot will be playing against Vancouver on Wednesday

I don't say this to disparage Duka, who is a good player, just that even when Duka is out, Tissot doesn't get minutes despite his strong performances when he plays

I think Duka has played well - but really there is a problem with player management on the Impact that starts from the top.  Klopas has never been able to fully justify his choices based on performances.  They lose, and then they don't include Bernier.  They need to score at home, but they start with Oduro as one forward up top.  Rinse, repeat.  

I too hate the idea of Klopas getting axed, but really....

Saputo and De Santis have proven to be incompetent when choosing a head coach. Last year after De Santis got fired Saputo then promoted him.

The solution is that Saputo must step down as president and let experienced professionals run this club. 

Saputo and De Santis have proven to be incompetent when choosing a head coach. Last year after De Santis got fired Saputo then promoted him.

The solution is that Saputo must step down as president and let experienced professionals run this club. 

I despise IMFC with a passion, but I'll try to be fair lol

Do you expect Joey S to relinquish control? He's like the typical control freak Serie A owner who likes to put his hands in everything. 5 coaches since 2012. You know what TFC supporters feel about coaching changes lol.

I also think Mtl isn't going to make the playoffs. Unfit Drogba and Piatti, and that'll take couple of matches to get them fully fit. Ciman gone for what, 3 matches? 

There are all those games in hand, but a lot of them will be played on 3 days rest. And Mtl ran out of gass by half time vs TFC. Not convinced by depth on Mtl. 

And everyone from 6th to 10th right now will be fighting for that 6th spot and have a realistic chance of taking it. Mtl does not have it easy.

Add in the drama of sacked coach, IMFC is in a world of hurt.

The Impact could have easily won that game versus TFC on Saturday if they would have finished their chances and could have tied the game with 10 men in the final minutes of that game, I don't see where they ran out of gas in the second half come on,   and I'm a TFC fan here saying this. The east is so bad that it would not be a surprise if they somehow make it in the end.

Nothing will change with the impact as long as Joey Saputo is in control.

Everyone praised the Drogba signing, but I thought it was terrible. The new manager is now stuck with a 38 year old next year that forms no foundation long term for the club. What is the point of that? Oh yes, to sell merchandise. The Impact are TFC from the past with these rash decisions.

To be fair, Drogba was a good signing if the rest of the team was firing in all cylinders. Oduro as a front man for them was always a problem. But should the coach have given up on Bernier and Jack Mac? If you have a team striving for playoffs, then Drogba is a real asset. Currently though, he's not enough to make a difference. Only a turnaround in wins will right the ship now. Agreement on the role of Di santis in future coaches. As for Saputo, he owns the team, he can do whatever the hell he wants

You are holding down the last playoff spot by points per game and yet fire the coach? Interesting move. If they make the playoffs then it will have paid off. 3 losses, a draw and a win in the last 5 MLS games doesn't inspire confidence in a coach I guess. Good luck with the home stretch and here's hoping you make it.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like President Joey Saputo is being sued by his former Bologna business partner for 5 MILLION dollars. Sounds kinda shady. What's going on and how does this effect the Impact. Had my doubts about the Bologna move.

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2015/9/12/9316843/joey-saputo-sued-by-joe-tacopina-over-unpaid-wages

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/09/12/poursuite-de-5-m-contre-saputo

Archived