Scott Arfield

On 8/27/2023 at 2:16 PM, costarg said:

The guy has 11 goals in the past year AS A MIDFIELDER. 

Man it's really too bad Herdman could not find anyone besides an old Hutchinson and injured Stache to play midfield at the WC.  

Am I missing something?  I was checking his stats last week and noted what appears to be (at best) an average season. sometimes starting, sometime not.   three goals is what I found

Scott Arfield | MLSsoccer.com

53 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I'm all for a player of arfields experience to be part of the program if the team wants him. However, my main point is that I don't see why we are fawning over a retired player.  

Again, nobody is fawning over Arfield. At least I am not anyways. Questioning whether he could come back in the mix because the previous coach wouldn't pick him (and because he is now playing in NA) is not what I would describe as Fawning.

56 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

That's like saying herdman screwed up because he didnt pick tomori. 

I can think of 19 reasons why it's not the same.

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

You're oversimplifying coming out of retirement. Arfield doesnt want to play in central america. Look at how hes turned down all invitations to playing in central america except for the very first time he went. Why would someone who doesnt want to go to that environment, step away from the CMNT for years, have strained relationships with other players on the team, all while having his body age, all of the sudden change his mind and want to go to these types of games? Why would he have competitive spirit and love of the game now but not in 2018? 

I want no part of an Arfield return, but how many Central American games are likely in the next, say, 3 years? Nations League only, right?

3 hours ago, costarg said:

It's not so much "why would he want to unretire?"  It's pointing out the massive mistake Herdman made in not calling him to the WC.

Retired
1having left one's job and ceased to work.
"a retired headmaster"

It is pointless to call someone who has retired.  I'm really tired of this.  And I'm not interested in the but, but, but Arfield made a throw-away comment that he would consider coming back in an interview on the eve of the WC.  He was still retired and he never stated otherwise, he never stated he was available for selection, he never unretired.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I want no part of an Arfield return, but how many Central American games are likely in the next, say, 3 years? Nations League only, right?

And maybe the travelling issues were due to him being oversea?

I’d call him if I was Biello, see if he’s open to join the program from October to next Copa.

After that, I guess it’s over for him, Vitoria, Hoilett and Borjan. Hope we bring our best 23 (26?) to the Copa and we use GC2025 to prepare WC2026.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Good point! 

I think we can assume the only realistic tourney for him is copa which involves nations league games. Hard to see him join up for the Copa if he wouldnt do it for the WC. 

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Am I missing something?  I was checking his stats last week and noted what appears to be (at best) an average season. sometimes starting, sometime not.   three goals is what I found

Scott Arfield | MLSsoccer.com

He joined a few weeks before Leagues Cup and since then has gone on to record 3 goals (0 assists) in 11 matches in all competitions. I see that as slightly above average, but maybe others see it differently.

More importantly, I think it's in line with the type of stats we'd expect from an MLS call up now a days. He's also 34 and "retired". Maybe a new coach will see him reverse that decision? I am not predicting that or even supporting it. I am just saying at this point I could see it now being possible with Herdman gone. It's not like he's playing in CPL or the USL Championship, he's playing in MLS.

I fully support Choniere getting called up and capped first, but as far as 8s go we have Eustaquio, Kone, Osorio, Choniere....Kaye? Saliba? Kosi Thompson? IF (and it's a big one) he'd ever want to return and was accepted, it seems to me he'd be in the mix even at 34 years old. 

Just now, MauditYvon said:

Herdman never invited him. As some posters, he was salty as f*** about Arfield retiring to focus on club and family.

I think you missed my point as I am not talking singularly about the WC squad.

"It's hard to see arfield play in central america for copa qualifiers when he wouldnt play in central america for WCQ."

(herdman invited him for WCQ and he rejected them and then retired when herdman wouldnt select him for the nice games)

9 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

And maybe the travelling issues were due to him being oversea?

I’d call him if I was Biello, see if he’s open to join the program from October to next Copa.

After that, I guess it’s over for him, Vitoria, Hoilett and Borjan. Hope we bring our best 23 (26?) to the Copa and we use GC2025 to prepare WC2026.

I love junior but it's pretty ironic that Hoilett is (for now) a guaranteed call up in the eyes of most (myself included), even though he is very much without a club. Arfield meanwhile is actually playing for a club, and seemingly playing well at that, but is scorned because of the perception he is a bad apple, which has nothing more behind it than the weight of a cap 🧢.

@kacbruand others are making so much of his statement declaring himself retired (as if it was binding) when in reality he's probably in better game shape than Hoilett is right now, so who is closer to retirement? lol

Again, love Hoilett but just wanted to point out the irony here 😂

(And before anyone gets too upset, I am just having a bit of fun. Arfield is not coming back, I am pretty certain)

15 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Good point! 

I think we can assume the only realistic tourney for him is copa which involves nations league games. Hard to see him join up for the Copa if he wouldnt do it for the WC. 

I don't assume that at all. The issue seemed to be that Arfield did not want to play in the qualifiers which at the time would have meant flying back and forth across the Atlantic. Today he literally plays in the same country that is hosting the Copa America. It's not a big stretch for me to imagine him being interested. Whether he is good enough or is wanted is another matter, but he's playing well enough that we the fans can at least discuss it.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I don't assume that at all. The issue seemed to be that Arfield did not want to play in the qualifiers which at the time would have meant flying back and forth across the Atlantic. Today he literally plays in the same country that is hosting the Copa America. It's not a big stretch for me to imagine him being interested. Whether he is good enough or is wanted is another matter, but he's playing well enough that we the fans can at least discuss it.

I question that the issue was flying. He made the trek out for many games that were played in canada and the USA. He didnt make the trip for central american games. 

He may have said he didnt want to fly across the atlantic but when you read between the lines, its the central american games that were more of an issue. Its not like he can come out and say "I only want to play the games that have favourable conditions".

4 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

You missed the first 2 periods I guess.

What? Are you disagreeing that his public retirement was not on the day he officially announced it? 

edit: Here is his official announcement via instagram- Jan 16 2022. https://www.instagram.com/p/CYzmnTAMRUV/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

Edited by Bigandy