Canadian Division 1A - Why We Need It

Tuscan

The Edmonton market will be interesting.  Reportedly the Eddies haven't been contacted at all; but the CFL presence there is incredibly strong.  I wonder if the Eskimos would do an end around on the Eddies and launch a Canada 1A team.  That would be a fairly ruthless move.

They couldn't do that in Ottawa with OSEG already having the Fury.

I think there's more to this story.  One things for sure, they can't do a league without the MLS and NASL cities involved.  There's no media play then.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When comes to Toronto, I would assume this team would play either suburban Toronto (like North York) or GTA town like Vaughan (Ontario Soccer Centre planning to build 5K  seat stadium while other GTA towns are flirting with building an outdoor stadium to host community events).   

I agree that Canadian league would need big 3 markets to be legitimate Canadian league.  

I'm terrified this league will be viewed as an equivalent of the Welsh league compared to the EPL, like it is in Wales.

I'm terrified this league will be viewed as an equivalent of the Welsh league compared to the EPL, like it is in Wales.

That's what it's going to be, with the three MLS clubs being the real financial powers in Canada. No shame in that.

The Edmonton market will be interesting.  Reportedly the Eddies haven't been contacted at all; but the CFL presence there is incredibly strong.  I wonder if the Eskimos would do an end around on the Eddies and launch a Canada 1A team.  That would be a fairly ruthless move.

I think there's more to this story.  One things for sure, they can't do a league without the MLS and NASL cities involved.  There's no media play then.

I think there's only room for one pro soccer team in Edmonton. Be it the Eddies in the NASL, Eddies eventually in A1, or something new.

I highly doubt that. MLS isn't that big to have that affect and the Welsh league has CSL level support.

Do people support the Canadian MLS teams because they're going to see the NY Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union and Chicago Fire 1x per year each?  I don't believe that for a second.  I doubt 10% of the fans at the Canadian MLS games know more than 1 player on the other team. 

Canadian MLS fans support their team because a) they're local and b] gameday production quality & perceived league quality is good.  I don't think there's honestly anything else than that. 

Let's ask a question, and I'm not suggesting this is going to happen.  If the 3 MLS teams moved to a Canadian only Canadian Premier League; would their team attendance really drop from the levels now ?  Would TV ratings decline from 150k per game and would sponsors & corporate support drop if they played home games against only Canadian teams?  I'm not sure that's true. 

You can see that the highest TV ratings come from a weekend Toronto/Vancouver, Toronto/ Montreal or Montreal/Vancouver games.  Why wouldn't the same hold true for a Vanouver/Calgary, Toronto/Hamilton game?

Also another hypothetical questions, and I'm not suggesting it's going to happen; If Toronto FC was in a Canadian Premier League, would a player like Giovinco still accept the 4 year, 35 million contract he received?  I think that money talks and he would definitely take that deal.

This Division 1A National Canadian League would be operating alongside MLS & NASL.

For sure it makes it harder but it can still be done. GTA & GVRD could still have clubs in those markets as their large enough if there's distance beween the MLS and CND D1A league's. With TV deals being so important in sports today its imperitive that this league have a National TV deal from the start though.

Listened to the Two Solitudes podcast today with Rollins and his view on likely teams is :

West Division

Victoria

Calgary

Regina

Winnipeg

East Division

Toronto

Quebec City

Hamilton

Moncton

A couple of road trips per season to play the other division's clubs and more games inter division.

^Honestly if the West Division had Calgary, Victoria, Regina and Winnipeg then FCE would be crazy to stay in NASL with their travel schedule and interest level.  Especially if they could have 2 home games per year against those teams.  Same goes for Ottawa when you look at the East Division. 

If a Canadian Premier League (that's what I'm calling it) started there couldn't be any incentive for the Canadian NASL teams to stay with the NASL.  It's not like they're lighting it up right now.

^Honestly if the West Division had Calgary, Victoria, Regina and Winnipeg then FCE would be crazy to stay in NASL with their travel schedule and interest level.  Especially if they could have 2 home games per year against those teams.  Same goes for Ottawa when you look at the East Division. 

If a Canadian Premier League (that's what I'm calling it) started there couldn't be any incentive for the Canadian NASL teams to stay with the NASL.  It's not like they're lighting it up right now.

The incentive to stay in NASL is a proven league going on 5 years and playing vs more glamourous markets like New York Cosmos, Tampa Bay, etc. The league has been improving each year with attendance rising again this season, the NASL is averaging 6500 per game up from 5500 last year. Higher profile players in the NASL as well. Again, Edmonton also has a stake in the league with 33% of B shares.

Realistically this new league would be a downgrade for them like the MLS Canadian clubs so don't see them joining in the first few years, maybe a few years down the road if the league grows and is successful.

And I like the Canadian Premier League moniker!

Do people support the Canadian MLS teams because they're going to see the NY Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union and Chicago Fire 1x per year each?  I don't believe that for a second.  I doubt 10% of the fans at the Canadian MLS games know more than 1 player on the other team. 

Canadian MLS fans support their team because a) they're local and b] gameday production quality & perceived league quality is good.  I don't think there's honestly anything else than that. 

Let's ask a question, and I'm not suggesting this is going to happen.  If the 3 MLS teams moved to a Canadian only Canadian Premier League; would their team attendance really drop from the levels now ?  Would TV ratings decline from 150k per game and would sponsors & corporate support drop if they played home games against only Canadian teams?  I'm not sure that's true. 

You can see that the highest TV ratings come from a weekend Toronto/Vancouver, Toronto/ Montreal or Montreal/Vancouver games.  Why wouldn't the same hold true for a Vanouver/Calgary, Toronto/Hamilton game?

The league matters, which is why Vancouver went from 4,500 fans per game in 2010 to 20,000 per game in 2011.

Would 16,000 fans stop going to the Vancouver Whitecaps if it was in BC Place, part of a Canadian League, playing on TSN TV every game against all the other major domestic markets (serious question, I don't know Vancouver's soccer market)? 

The BC Lions manage to get 28,000 fans per game under the same setup.  I'm just wondering what would make the soccer market different.

Re: FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury, I think both of these teams leave the NASL as soon as the new Canadian league starts. They haven't been contacted as of yet but at one point before this thing happens they will be approached and who ever is in charge of organizing this league will have a contingency if they say yes and if they say no. I think they say yes for a number of reason but the most important is that a league made up of mostly CFL owners will be attracted by the ability to collude with each other and build a league exactly the way they want it.

As far as a fans view of this league it will attract the exact same kind of audience as the NASL does now. For Ottawa, in my opinion, that means a fan base that's not necessarily soccer fans but people looking for something fun to do on a nice afternoon or evening for cheap. There are hardcore fans like us, and objective knowledgable fans but the average soccer fan will look down on this the way they do the MLS.

I think realistically a team that draws 5K will be successful. A team that draws 10K would be fantastic.

Re: FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury, I think both of these teams leave the NASL as soon as the new Canadian league starts. They haven't been contacted as of yet but at one point before this thing happens they will be approached and who ever is in charge of organizing this league will have a contingency if they say yes and if they say no. I think they say yes for a number of reason but the most important is that a league made up of mostly CFL owners will be attracted by the ability to collude with each other and build a league exactly the way they want it.

As far as a fans view of this league it will attract the exact same kind of audience as the NASL does now. For Ottawa, in my opinion, that means a fan base that's not necessarily soccer fans but people looking for something fun to do on a nice afternoon or evening for cheap. There are hardcore fans like us, and objective knowledgable fans but the average soccer fan will look down on this the way they do the MLS.

I think realistically a team that draws 5K will be successful. A team that draws 10K would be fantastic.

So Ottawa pays 1.5 million to get into NASL and Edmonton owns an extra interest in the league and will give that up and their biggest drawing club, the Cosmos, when it comes to town with Raul etc, to play in a start up Canadian league. Their already in the most stable D2 North America has ever had in the NASL.

A few years down the road maybe if things go well. That's the best to hope for. Thats the reality and the markets Rollins suggested were likely are sufficient to make a go of this new league. Sure the MLS and NASL markets would be great to have starting the league but reality dictate's otherwise and is seemingly being accepted by the organizers behind it.

So Ottawa pays 1.5 million to get into NASL and Edmonton owns an extra interest in the league and will give that up and their biggest drawing club, the Cosmos, when it comes to town with Raul etc, to play in a start up Canadian league. Their already in the most stable D2 North America has ever had in the NASL.

A few years down the road maybe if things go well. That's the best to hope for. Thats the reality and the markets Rollins suggested were likely are sufficient to make a go of this new league. Sure the MLS and NASL markets would be great to have starting the league but reality dictate's otherwise and is seemingly being accepted by the organizers behind it.

The idea that the Cosmos is some big draw is completely lost on me. Is it because they share a name with a team from 30 years ago? The Fury are marketing heavily to young families, no one who has any connection to the old Cosmos.

The idea that the Cosmos is some big draw is completely lost on me. Is it because they share a name with a team from 30 years ago? The Fury are marketing heavily to young families, no one who has any connection to the old Cosmos.

The Cosmos are a big draw because of :

1) History as the USA's most iconic club and internationally known.

2) Raul, Senna, and the quality of the rest of their roster.

3) They are the premier club of the league

4) They do things big & in a professional first class manner, This year they've already played friendlies in Hong Kong drawing over 20K (where they won 200K, more than the MLS cup winner gets), Honduras drawing 30K, and Cuba last week drawing 18K.

Don't discount who knows their name as well, my co worker is 20yrs old and wasn't around for the original NASL and he still know of the club. If you think Calgary or Hamilton or another Canadian market would rather be seen your kidding yourself or not informed. Cosmos are the biggest drawing club in the NASL on the road.

Archived