Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé

Do we know how long the deal is?  Could it be that he only wanted to sign on for 6 months, play big minutes and put himself in the shop window for other French clubs?  Much more practical than travelling around trialling and not making any $ or playing any competitive matches.  

I don't think his career is going anywhere fast, probably going to be a CPL player but I don't think we should be so quick to jump on him for this move.  

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Seriously? We're equating a level of play similar to MLS affiliated USL clubs to L1O?

No, I'm comparing JGL's move to AS Vitre with a youth international from the last U-20 cycle who had a shot at breaking through at a decent level leaving and moving to a semi pro / amateur league shortly after. Probably a fair move in the short term, but if he can't make a move up shortly he might as well give up the dream now. Another comparison would be Manny Aparicio's move to Ordenes.

I think what @Keegan mentions regarding getting eyes of other French clubs on him could make sense. That is a point I did not consider. I was thinking he might be staying in the shop window for Rennes.

Edited by shermanator

JGL was a fullback during u20 Conacaf qualifying. That may have been the worst move by a Canadian national team manager at any level I've ever seen.

Ive been banging this drum for years on this forum. Pro soccer players need a minimum athletic baseline to have a career in the game. He doesn't have it. He has never had it. It's not hate, it's just pointing out the obvious.

4 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

JGL was a fullback during u20 Conacaf qualifying. That may have been the worst move by a Canadian national team manager at any level I've ever seen.

Ive been banging this drum for years on this forum. Pro soccer players need a minimum athletic baseline to have a career in the game. He doesn't have it. He has never had it. It's not hate, it's just pointing out the obvious.

I think you're thinking of the Pan-Am tournament. Adekugbe and Haynes were the LBs of that age group.

He wasn't bad at Rennes, but because he was a foreigner and that it was the January transfer window, there weren't many opportunities in the top 3 divisions for a foreigner with not an unimpressive pro career. He has to earn his stripes and Vitré has a relationship with Rennes. In the summer, there will be job opportunities in France and he has a better shot at catching on at a National/Ligue 2 side.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

AS Vitre highlights

Showing good quality at this level and is still young

I've never understood the hate for Gagnon-Laparé. He's been used as a Cm, RB and defensive midfielder by the Impact/Fury, and was never allowed to develop at any level. That's not his fault that he was expected to be slotted in to three positions at a young age, with little playing time and only academy experience. 

So far, he's had almost a full season with ASV and has done quite well for himself. I think he'll grow into a solid journeyman, and maybe make his way back into the MNT line-up, if he gets consistent exposure to new opposition and skill sets.  

On 2017-09-15 at 11:56 AM, ChrisinOrleans said:

I've never understood the hate for Gagnon-Laparé. He's been used as a Cm, RB and defensive midfielder by the Impact/Fury, and was never allowed to develop at any level. That's not his fault that he was expected to be slotted in to three positions at a young age, with little playing time and only academy experience. 

So far, he's had almost a full season with ASV and has done quite well for himself. I think he'll grow into a solid journeyman, and maybe make his way back into the MNT line-up, if he gets consistent exposure to new opposition and skill sets.  

I'm the #1 hater of this player. He doesn't have the minimum baseline level of athleticism required to play professional soccer.

He constantly got scorched whenever he played for our youth national teams.

14 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

I'm the #1 hater of this player. He doesn't have the minimum baseline level of athleticism required to play professional soccer.

He is very limited athletically that is true. Unfortunate for him that Floro / Floro jr and club coaches put him in positions to fail though - he is a disaster at RB. But honestly he has some quality on the ball that stood out even in his appearances during the Olympic qualifiers. I'm not going to suggest that we'll see him in the Senior national team anytime soon but do think he's better than what he showed during most of his time in Canada.

Uh oh, some random from Manitoba says JGL doesn't have the minimum level of athleticism to play the game. He should probably pack it in. Laughable.

Yes, he was bad with Canada's youth teams when he played, specifically as a fullback. But he hasn't been, and will not be with the national team at any level any time soon. Time to get over it.

Edited by shermanator

10 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

That tends to happen when you're playing out of position, with no guidance and a coach who cannot speak your language (Floro). 

I disagree with your assertion that he doesn't have the "minimum baseline level of athleticism" on two grounds; firstly, that's a stupid assertion with no grounding in factual basis (unless you have a dossier on his speed and weight trials), and secondly, athleticism means nothing if you have decent passing and possession skills - which JGL does. 

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

Uh oh, some random from Manitoba says JGL doesn't have the minimum level of athleticism to play the game. He should probably pack it in. Laughable.

Yes, he was bad with Canada's youth teams when he played, specifically as a fullback. But he hasn't been, and will not be with the national team at any level any time soon. Time to get over it.

He's actually from Scotia I believe.

My take on JGL:

I always have a good chuckle for the level of disdain @Soccerpro has for him and I don't even disagree with his analysis of his short comings, but despite being incredibly unathletic (for a pro), he is where he is, so the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Clearly he makes it work to get at least as far as he has. He is a professional and his talent (athletic or otherwise) has gotten him to where he is. If his lack of athleticism was that much of a problem, he would be playing in CIS or some other amateur level that his talent warranted - like some of us who post on this board have :P

Edited by Obinna

15 hours ago, shermanator said:

"Some random from Manitoba"

Man, you're a douchbag. There's no other way to phrase it.

1 hour ago, Soccerpro said:

"Some random from Manitoba"

Man, you're a douchbag. There's no other way to phrase it.

Uh oh, some random from Manitoba thinks I'm a douchebag. I've been called way worse by way better people.

Perhaps you don't have the base level of intelligence to be posting on this board.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Uh oh, some random from Manitoba thinks I'm a douchebag. I've been called way worse by way better people.

Perhaps you don't have the base level of intelligence to be posting on this board.

Nova Scotia, he's from Nova Scotia.

Leave poor Manitoba out of this, they have enough problems as it is!

*ducks* 

:P