Marco Carducci

9 hours ago, shamrock said:

Don't know about Carducci, but the creation of the league will NOT prevent players from being cut. Moreover, it shouldn't. How else will it get even on par with USL, let alone surpass USL in quality? 

No it won't, but players don't just get cut because they're not "good" enough. The reason could be personality, style of play or player culture clashes. Maybe personal issues? Someone like him (who has decent USL experience) should be able to land on his feet somewhere, even if it's a no. 2 or 3 goalkeeper pushing other GK's on another team. Who knows, maybe he establishes himself as the no.1 and goes on to have a really good career. Right now, his options are limited without other pro soccer teams in Canada.

Edited by PopePouri

• 1 month later...

Interesting. Given that Minnesota only have one keeper signed, who was picked up at the draft this year, I'd have to like Carducci's chances of getting a contract. It looks like former Whitecaps GK coach Marius Rovde is in Minnesota as well, that works in his favour too.

Other keepers in camp for Minnesota are Charlie Lyon (24 year old, hasn't played in MLS, two seasons with Sounders 2) and Sammy N'Djock (Cameroonian keeper who was their starter the last two years in NASL). 

http://www.mnufc.com/post/2017/01/24/full-mnufc-preseason-list

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since it was announced that Carducci was trialing in Minnesota, the club has now gone out and acquired 3 goalkeepers. John Avlbage, Patrick McClain and now Bobby Shuttleworth, who was acquired in a trade with New England today. Throw in draft pick Alec Ferrell, and I don't think it's likely Carducci signs an MLS deal anymore. 

I dont' know if Minnesota has a USL affiliate, but hopefully he can catch on there, or another USL club.

Edited by shermanator

• 2 weeks later...

he's always reminded me of a youth player playing with men - for his size and stature alone. And many times, this has been the case with him, in the inability to command the box, or actually be fearful presence. 

But good luck to him, he's definitely a CPL candidate for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Carducci has signed with Rio Grande Valley FC. No official announcement, but he was listed on the club's roster for the 2017 season.

https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/03/23/rio-grande-valley-fc-announces-roster-ahead-2017-usl-season

Nice! Here's to hopping the change of scenery helps him fulfill his potential, as clearly things had stalled for him at VWFC