Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

He has his Canadian citizenship but it is possible that he does not yet have his FIFA clearance to play for us so maybe he is not yet eligible. If he is eligible, a 19 year old getting playing time in the 3rd Bundesliga and signed to a big club should be getting a call up to the full senior team in the near future at least for friendlies. (Somebody please post the frantic Voyageurs "Cap Him Now" meme :) )

Edited by Grizzly

He's not currently eligible, unless he has filed a request to Fifa which has been accepted. I strongly doubt that's the case or he would have been called to one of the teams by now. Anyway, if we go just by Fifa rules, he's clearly not eligible.

I see no reason why Elva would not be eligible. Elva has not played for St. Lucia in an official FIFA tournament that I'm aware of. There is no need for FIFA to be involved because he would have never been registered with another federation. 

Canada has the ability to call him up as they see fit. 

Edited by yomurphy1

He's not currently eligible, unless he has filed a request to Fifa which has been accepted. I strongly doubt that's the case or he would have been called to one of the teams by now. Anyway, if we go just by Fifa rules, he's clearly not eligible.

The CSA have to file an appeal for him to be declared eligible. They will ask on the grounds that he moved here as a minor for non-footballing reasons.

The CSA have to file an appeal for him to be declared eligible. They will ask on the grounds that he moved here as a minor for non-footballing reasons.

Why would they have to file an appeal?

He has never played for any other country and he's a Canadian citizen. I don't really get what the hold-up would be?

Why would they have to file an appeal?

He has never played for any other country and he's a Canadian citizen. I don't really get what the hold-up would be?

Because he was not born in Canada, neither of his parents or grandparents were either and he has not lived here for 5 years AFTER THE AGE OF 18. So, because he moved here as a minor his only recourse is for a FIFA appeal. A few years ago the rule was 2 years residence for a minor, but that has been eliminated.

Because he was not born in Canada, neither of his parents or grandparents were either and he has not lived here for 5 years AFTER THE AGE OF 18. So, because he moved here as a minor his only recourse is for a FIFA appeal. A few years ago the rule was 2 years residence for a minor, but that has been eliminated.

There is precedent for this sort of appeal being granted though correct?

New Zealand was kicked out of the Olympics this year for fielding a player(s) in this same situation. In their case, South African immigrant (which is common). The player in question subsequently joined Vancouver 2 (or whatever they're called). It's BS as his family were legitimate immigrants. NZ are appealing. Looking closer, there are several players in this situation NZ has capped at the full international level. http://www.nzfootball.co.nz/nzf-statement-player-eligibility/

And yes, there have been a number of exceptions granted in the past - the point here is that the exception must be applied for before the player appears. NZ really stuffed this up.

Thanks for the clarification but the requirement seems ridiculous.  If you've lived in a country for most of your youth and are a citizen, you should be eligible for that country.  In modern professional football, players come from all over the world and leave for overseas clubs long before age 23 (5 years after age of 18).

For prospective players under the age of 18, having lived in a country for 5 years and having citizenship should make you eligible for that country.

Odds seem stacked against countries with larger immigrant populations: eligibility through ancestry means players have several options internationally and many young prospects are unable to satisfy the 5 year rule.  As I've said before, countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand (maybe even U.S.) have legitimate grounds to request FIFA take another look at eligibility.  They should work together and make noise instead of accepting rules that favour Europe.

Can someone summarize here? Is this kid still looked upon as a possible prodigy? Is he in any way eligible for Canada?

A possible prodigy is a little far but he's getting pro minutes at 19 in the 3. Bundesliga so pretty promising young player. Seems like he may not eligible at the moment but could become eligible if the CSA were to apply for an exemption that has clearly been granted to other players in similar circumstances. He has stated publicly he wants to play for Canada as well. 

Who was that kid a few years ago who was invited to join Barcelona's academy? I thought there was some kid w Canadian connections in La Massia right now?

Gianni Patina. He was asked to join the Barca Escuela (school) which is pay-to-play. He played there and then i think Jeffrey said he went to Badalona and was apparently unimpressive. Last i heard he told a mexican reporter he wanted to play for Mexico, but i highly doubt he's good enough. Now 17 yrs old and no idea where he is playing.

I guess it's all relative! I consider them a big club but not in the same category as Arsenal or Barcelona. I don't consider them to be quite as big as Benfica either, but it would be fair to say they are close.

Maybe not as big as Madrid or Arsenal, but in the category right beneath that (like a lot of German clubs). Remember that in Portugal for example (or Spain), it's only 2 or 3 clubs that compete for the Championship. In Germany it's about half the league (even though Munich win 2 out every 3 seasons, that's why they are level with Real etc). In a good season, that should be capable of winning the Bundesliga or Champions League. That's pretty big IMO.

Maybe not as big as Madrid or Arsenal, but in the category right beneath that (like a lot of German clubs). Remember that in Portugal for example (or Spain), it's only 2 or 3 clubs that compete for the Championship. In Germany it's about half the league (even though Munich win 2 out every 3 seasons, that's why they are level with Real etc). In a good season, that should be capable of winning the Bundesliga or Champions League. That's pretty big IMO.

Haha, Stutgart should be able to win the Bundesliga or Champions League in a "good" season? They are going to need a dream-like "Fussballwunder" to come even close!

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva