Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

3 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Also yes it's not surprising, but still sucks...

I get you, but I hope he tries his luck at least a higher level and also I think he should go to a different country. Would like to see him at Dutch league...

To add I am not against him joining MLS team perhaps a Canadian MLS team would be nice. Let see what moves he makes...

Cue the 'he'll sit on the bench and be wasted like so many others' brigade...

My bet is on a Whitecaps supporter chiming in first...

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that MLS is less and less a place players have to settle for.  Sure, if you are on a trajectory that will eventually see you in a top league, MLS probably in't a good move. But for players not on that kind of career arc, or who have hit a bit of a roadblock with their club, MLS is a pretty decent option assuming you can get paid what you think you are worth.  And if you play your cards right, Robbo can mold you into a top left back.

He does have a problem in that he doesn't have a European passport (to my knowledge). That makes him unaffordable in some leagues (The Eredivisie comes to mind). I think Germany is the exception to that. So he might be forced to go to MLS. 

I do think MLS would perfect for him to get his  career back on track, he’s got a lot skill and playing in a Germany ( very physical leagues) mls should suit him well. My only concern would be if he wanted to back to Europe after a break out Year. After the craziness with Larin last year god knows what will happen.

No European passport issue can be fix if we just upped our ranking. 

Do you guys really think MLS is that crap a league that a German 4th division player is going to walk in and get playing time?  Tiebert, Chapman, Hamilton, AJH, Edwards are all players who struggle for playing time on Canadian sides.  Is Elva better than any of them?  Look, I hope for the best for the kid, and if he can come to MLS and play - all the better.  But I honestly can't see him coming over and get regular playing time anytime soon. 

19 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Do you guys really think MLS is that crap a league that a German 4th division player is going to walk in and get playing time?  Tiebert, Chapman, Hamilton, AJH, Edwards are all players who struggle for playing time on Canadian sides.  Is Elva better than any of them?  Look, I hope for the best for the kid, and if he can come to MLS and play - all the better.  But I honestly can't see him coming over and get regular playing time anytime soon. 

Happened with Marinovic at the Whitecaps...

4th ter is basically USL of Germany ( my understanding). Also Elva played 21 games in 3.liga.  Minnesota has a ton of injuries on the right side, Come on Mark Watson haha . Elva is a very talented player, he’s going to be good! If he didn’t get injuried, he would have put up some big numbers this year. 

3 hours ago, xman14 said:

Happened with Marinovic at the Whitecaps...

Okay.  My question stands.  Do you think he is any better than the guys named above who are currently struggling for playing time?  I have only seen Elva play once, in that U23 Qatar tournament.  And he looked pretty good.  But no better than Petrasso who is also currently struggling to get on the field in Montreal.

28 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Okay.  My question stands.  Do you think he is any better than the guys named above who are currently struggling for playing time?  I have only seen Elva play once, in that U23 Qatar tournament.  And he looked pretty good.  But no better than Petrasso who is also currently struggling to get on the field in Montreal.

I haven't watched much of Montreal this year, but would Petrasso be struggling as much playing RW as opposed to RB?

27 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I haven't watched much of Montreal this year, but would Petrasso be struggling as much playing RW as opposed to RB?

In addition... returning form major quad surgery.

To answer the question, have not seen him play enough so I honestly don't know, but I think we can all agree, be nice if he got a chance somewhere!

Maybe he could latch on to a 1 year USL contract? Provided he swallows his pride/ego etc.  Don't know enough about him, but might be worth considering.

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

After watching a few games online, I would say he’s on par with Edwards, but more upside. He can play  multiple positions. There’s a reason why some Big clubs were scouting him

Yup, and a pretty big club signed him and are letting him go at 22 without any first team minutes.  I would love to see him play in MLS.  Just have my doubts he would walk into a first team lineup, and get significant playing time, at this point in his career.  

31 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Yup, and a pretty big club signed him and are letting him go at 22 without any first team minutes.  I would love to see him play in MLS.  Just have my doubts he would walk into a first team lineup, and get significant playing time, at this point in his career.  

Just look at that roster, that’s why they let him go

1CFEAAAD-3841-4301-8457-49F053C1D9E5.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Just look at that roster, that’s why they let him go

Yes, but if there was value they would have sold him earlier or re-upped him and then sold him off, not simply released him.

I hope for the best, but agree he's not a sure thing to walk into the starting line-up or even 18 of an MLS club. A lot to prove, and he has to stay healthy. Scouts seem to think the potential is there, but health (and the ability to bounce back from setbacks) is the key.

The kid still has a lot of upside. I wish he had produced more but surely D3 scouts have him on the radar. As I said before I would never recommend MLS for a young player because you loose your freedom of transfer. Besides, he'd probably have to start in USL anyway (like Aleman for instance). 

kid played in a friendly game for Stuttgart vs 3rd division team and scored the 2nd goal for Stuttgart in a 5-3 loss.

came off the bench in the 59 minute and scored in the 73 minute. Team seems to be a mix of 1st team players and reserve players.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/intligen/intpokale/fussball-vereine-freundschaftsspiele/2017-18/45/4212324/spielschema_hallescher-fc-4440_vfb-stuttgart-11.html#omsmtwkicker

2 hours ago, Birdman said:

kid played in a friendly game for Stuttgart vs 3rd division team and scored the 2nd goal for Stuttgart in a 5-3 loss.

came off the bench in the 59 minute and scored in the 73 minute. Team seems to be a mix of 1st team players and reserve players.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/intligen/intpokale/fussball-vereine-freundschaftsspiele/2017-18/45/4212324/spielschema_hallescher-fc-4440_vfb-stuttgart-11.html#omsmtwkicker

Could it possibly mean he might be moving to first team next season or am I reading to much into it?

Edited by Scorpion26

37 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Could it possibly mean he might be moving to first team next season or am I reading to much into it?

1st issue, is that according to transfermarkt his contract expires July 2018.

if he renews, since Stuttgart will make Europa League if Bayern win the German Cup. It means they will compete in 3 tournaments next season, between the league, cup and Europe. The more matches they have the more likelihood rotations will be involved. What Elva needs to do is to constantly impress any chance he gets in friendlies, camps etc. Maybe next season he starts to slowly get integrated to the 1st team or maybe Stuttgart loans him out next season to lower divisions.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

There's an article posted on the previous page stating Elva will not be back with the club when his contract expires.

Weird he is getting time in a friendly but is not renewing. Seems more like he wants to leave and less like they want him out.

At his age and with his talent, I think now is the time for him to depart.

If he stays in Germany, I think the 3rd division is the right level if he wants consistent first team minutes.

I think he could play in the 2.Bundesliga, but he may find those consistent minutes hard to come by.

I wonder how he'd do in Holland top flight?

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He could probably be a rotation/impact sub for teams at the bottom of the league if latest transfers are anything to go bye: 

- Queensy Menig who was a starter turned sub for Oldham athletic was loaned to PEC zwolle from his parent club Nantes 

- Patrick bamgaard made 8 apperences for Dramshaft in the 2. Bundesliga before being loaned out to Roda JC where he's been a starter

Chances are that he goes to a 3rd/4th division German club

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Weird he is getting time in a friendly but is not renewing. Seems more like he wants to leave and less like they want him out.

At his age and with his talent, I think now is the time for him to depart.

If he stays in Germany, I think the 3rd division is the right level if he wants consistent first team minutes.

I think he could play in the 2.Bundesliga, but he may find those consistent minutes hard to come by.

It is an end of season friendly so I would not read anything into him playing. The end of season friendlies are not taken that seriously unlike the pre-season friendlies which are preparation for the new season. 

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva