Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I'm not shocked, it seems like CSA doesn't really have or any good  proper scouting department and coaches to  identify young talent. With today's players playing all over the world and they have multiple nations to choose  from you got to have a proper scouting system/ department or you're going to have players fall through the cracks or get picked up by other nations. We got lucky!

How would the CSA scout this player if they didn't know he was eligible? 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

How would the CSA scout this player if they didn't know he was eligible? 

A good scouting department would have found out if he was or not. 

And once again I love how you come to aid of the CSA, Buzz you must work for the CSA

Edited by SpecialK

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He was born in St Lucia, did he have Canadian citizenship while in Calgary?

I have no idea, I'm not a soccer scout . Did the CSA asked him? It seems like a pretty simple question to ask. I'm sure if they ask around in Calgary they could have found it.

Edited by SpecialK

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

I have no idea, I'm not a soccer scout . Did the CSA asked him? It seems like a pretty simple question to ask. I'm sure if they ask around in Calgary they could have found it.

That's my point, you have no clue but you blame the CSA.

My understanding was that he didn't receive his citizenship until he was 18 or 19, then he was injured and out for a while.

The CSA doesn't have the budget to scout every youth player in Canada, I don't know if there's a federation in the world that can do that. If he wasn't a Canadian when playing in Calgary he wouldn't have been identified by the normal channels. 

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Again back to the budget. The reason for all of the CSA failures. And buzz come on The big football nations find or steal kids, they have the budgets. England has a 100 million dollar training   Facility. 

Anyways he signed on with Canada ! 

Yes the budget, that's literally determines all that we're capable of. 

And right... Canada=England in any sense.

16 hours ago, Keegan said:

The CSA has a free scouting network with this board... they would have to be ignorant to not read here.

How could it be that no one had heard of him?  The kid was being linked to Arsenal ffs. 

Very true and I think the fact that Leutwiler is with Canada is a testament.

I'd have to go back but I think the CSA was aware of him when he went to Germany.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

18 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't know if there's a federation in the world that can do that.

England and the big boys can Buzz. Even The United States under Klinsmann started scouting in Europe for young duel  nationals, it was one of their policies and  directives. 

Edited by SpecialK

That story from OZ does not sound like it is correct to me. I am not saying he is lying, he may believe that that is what happened and maybe people called him and said you need to look at this guy who never played youth level for Canada. But as jpg mentioned, I am pretty sure the CSA was well aware of him the whole time he was in Stuttgart and the reason he never played at the youth level was he was not a citizen.

Agree with Buzz. Not sure it's not an out of context quote. 

Zambrano got calls from people to see if he would be called up after he took over. 

The second part is talking about how elva was discovered late (a few years ago). There is no way the CSA just found out about him this year. We have been talking about him a couple of years here. 

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

Agree with Buzz. Not sure it's not an out of context quote. 

Zambrano got calls from people to see if he would be called up after he took over. 

The second part is talking about how elva was discovered late (a few years ago). There is no way the CSA just found out about him this year. We have been talking about him a couple of years here. 

Does the CSA actually follow this board though? There's a lot of players who we've pointed out who it seems the CSA has ignored despite being perfect additions to the pool, like Andreas Vaikla who would probably come to play for Canada if asked.

32 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Does the CSA actually follow this board though? There's a lot of players who we've pointed out who it seems the CSA has ignored despite being perfect additions to the pool, like Andreas Vaikla who would probably come to play for Canada if asked.

For sure someone does, see Jayson Leutwiler.

As for Vaikla there's nothing to indicate that the CSA hasn't approached him or that he would accept a call.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

I'm pretty sure that Vaikla said he wanted to play for Estonia. I just think he said no. 

12 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Elva got Canadian citizenship between the ages of 18 and 19, it held up him signing in Germany because he would not count as a domestic as a St. Lucian (as opposed to Canadians). The CSA would have known about his move to Stuttgart since they had to sign his ITC.

Actually, I think Elva's lack of Canadian citizenship did not hamper the signing, but rather it prevented him from playing in Germany. This is why he was loaned to Strasbourg's reserve team for the first season he was in Germany.

Elva received his citizenship in July 2015, but had signed in Stuttgart in July 2014 on his 18th birthday.

Edited by shermanator

20 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

So in reality; he's only been a Canadian citizen for 2 years now

and he gets called up to the U-23 and MNT in 2017 

Zambrano likes from what he saw in Caniggia Elva, Floro may not have who knows :mellow:

As I mentioned earlier, Elva was out for an extended period with an injury which could have prevented a call up.

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

Actually, I think Elva's lack of Canadian citizenship did not hamper the signing, but rather it prevented him from playing in Germany. This is why he was loaned to Strasbourg's reserve team for the first season he was in Germany.

Elva received his citizenship in July 2015, but had signed in Stuttgart in July 2014 on his 18th birthday

Yes, you are correct he was able to sign but not play in Germany as he was not Canadian yet. Once he received citizenship the CSA would have also needed to file for an exemption for him to play for Canada as he would not meet the FIFA residency requirements of 5 years after age 18. That would have probably not been granted yet when Floro was putting together the U23 squad in early 2016.

• 2 months later...
  • jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva