2015 Pan Am Games

masster

Does anybody know the format of how the 2015 Pan Am Games men's football tournament is going to work? I couldn't find anything on the Toronto 2015 website and according to Wikipedia, there does not seem to be any consistency from previous editions. Who makes the decision and when will it be made?

2011 - An 8 team U22 tournament

2007 - A 12 team U20 tournament that featured a bunch of U17 and U18 teams

2003 - An 8 team U23 tournament, but the South Americans sent U20 squads

With a lot of Floro's focus supposedly being on qualifying our U23s for the Olympics, this would be a great opportunity to get some meaningful games. So if it is a U23 tournament, would the Canadian MLS clubs release their players in the middle of their season? Given the Pan Am dates of July 10th to 26th, we should hopefully be able to get our European based players.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense for this to be a U20 tournament. The U20 World Cup starts in New Zealand on May 30th of the same year.

The U17 World Cup runs from October 17th to November 8th in Chile in 2015. So if the Pan Am games were to go young, it could be good preparation for our boys.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be a massive call for volunteers for the Pan Am Games beginning in April 2014.

People may not be aware but I chair the Organizing Committee for the Soccer competition taking place in Hamilton as well as the 7v7 Para Soccer and 5v5 Blind Futsal competition taking place at UofT St George campus

We are hoping to count on the support of our passionate supporter community in the GTA to put their names forward to volunteer their time to ensure we host the best event possible.

If anyone has questions, post here, DM me or find me on Twitter (@_VPjr_).

The big question is what will be the Canadian women's team, because this tournament nearly matches with the Women's World Cup 2015
The World cup ends on July 5 in Vancouver, and the football for the Pan Ams start on July 11 in Hamilton according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Pan_American_Games

The Hamilton Spectator quoted John Herdman last summer as saying it won't be the same team, and will probably be a youth team. http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/2252857-milton-don-t-expect-a-team-for-women-s-pan-am-soccer/

• 5 months later...

Panama qualified for the Men's tournament on Friday night.

http://www.concacaf.com/article/panama-u20s-seal-concacaf-pan-am-games-berths

I don't understand how qualifying works for the competition though, I can't seem to find a guide anywhere.

Well I will buy tickets just to cheer against Panama...and the Vice president ... Ramon Cardoze...the scumbag who organized the all night events in Panama during WC qualifying....I hope we draw them in group round games in the tournament and can deliver an appropriate response.

What could a potential starting lineup for a Canadian U22 team look like next year?

----------------------------- Carducci --------------------------------
Farmar ------ Gasparotto ------ Henry ------ Adekugbe

Boakai ----- Piette © ----- Gagno-Lapare ----- Petrasso

---------------Hamilton --------- Clarke ---------------------

Which coaches? He played CB -quite well- yesterday.

I think I worded that incorrectly. Apparently the u20s are trying him out as a RB to see how he does because there is a need for that position, but he is naturally a CB and as you say, is much better there. I think I heard Strasbourg are training him a bit there too so he can learn RB as well, but again as a secondary position.

• 2 weeks later...

Panama qualified for the Men's tournament on Friday night.

http://www.concacaf.com/article/panama-u20s-seal-concacaf-pan-am-games-berths

I don't understand how qualifying works for the competition though, I can't seem to find a guide anywhere.

Canada and Mexico will represent "North America" on the men's side of the draw.

Panama represents Central America as a result of winning the UNCAF U20 Tournament in El Salvador.

the representative from the Caribbean wijll be determined at the CFU U20 Tournament.that takes place in T&T in September.

the 4 representatives from South America will be determined at the CONMEBOL U20 Championships taking place in Uruguay in January.  Top 4 teams from that tournament qualify for TO2015

There is a similar process for the women's draw, expect that their qualifiers are not youth tournaments but rather senior level tournaments.

Canada and Mexico are granted direct entry (although the US may have some interest in participating.  if so, MEX and US would have to playoff to determine who gets that spot)

Costa Rica will represent Central America.

The representative from the Caribbean will be determined later this month at the Women's Caribbean Cup (hosted by T&T)

the 4 reps from South America will be determined at the Copa América Femenina in Ecuador, which will take place in September.   The 4 teams that make the 2nd round of qualifying will all qualify for TO2015. 

Canada and Mexico will represent "North America" on the men's side of the draw.

Panama represents Central America as a result of winning the UNCAF U20 Tournament in El Salvador.

the representative from the Caribbean wijll be determined at the CFU U20 Tournament.that takes place in T&T in September.

the 4 representatives from South America will be determined at the CONMEBOL U20 Championships taking place in Uruguay in January.  Top 4 teams from that tournament qualify for TO2015

This has the makings of being very valuable development for our Olympic squad.

Why wouldn't the USA want to participate?  After their embarrassment in 2012 and Mexico's success due to the Pan Ams they should be all over this especially as 4 of their direct rivals for qualifying will be  a step ahead playing in this.

Archived