2015 Pan Am Games

masster

This will be excellent prep for the Olympic qualifying as somebody stated in this thread, but I think our squad depth will be tested. This is a great thing and will make for some interesting roster selections, given that this tournament overlaps Gold Cup.

I wonder how important this competition will be for the Benito Floro and Tony Fonseca?

Are we going to call up a U-23 "B" team for the Pan-Am? The benefit would be expanding the player pool and giving more guys pre-qualifying tournament experience. This has the added benefit of freeing up some players that could be useful for Gold Cup, such as Henry, Piette and likely Petrasso and Arid (when/if they become integrated into the senior team).    

Or, we could select the best U-23 team possible. The benefit would be that our best players gain more experience playing together in a tournament. Would be great for team chemistry. The downside of course is that we arguably weaken our GC squad and lose a rare opportunity to cap players who need to be capped. (Arid for example).

Perhaps we will do something in-between. We could send already capped players such as Aleman and Piette and Henry to the Pan-Am games, but call up Petrasso and Arid to the Gold Cup.

What would you guys like to see?

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame that this competition doesn't act the Olympic qualifiers for the combined Americas.

It seems silly that there's a U-22 age group tournament sitting there unused only for CONCACAF to create a new one especially for qualification and CONMEBOL are using the same U-20 tournament as the Pan American Games to act as qualifiers.

There'll be two finals on the same day as 26 June is also the day that CONCACAF Gold Cup has its final

Oh okay, I thought that might have been what you were thinking.

Well, clearly it's hard to predict who will be available for the March 2016 qualifying tournament, since club situations are always changing. 

If it was up to me I would call a team like this for the Pan-Am Games:

Roberts

Carducci

Crepeau

Farmar

Henry

Gasparotto

Adekugbe

Duncan

Comisa

Roubos

Carriero

Froese

Piette

Aleman

Aparicio

Alderson

Gangon-Lapare

Hamilton

Clarke

Larin

Huitema

--------Hamilton-----Larin--------

Aleman--Froese--Piette--Carriero

Adekube--Gasparotto--Henry--Duncan

-----------------Roberts--------------------

Gold Cup:

G Borjan

G Stama

G Stillio

D/M De Jong

D/M Tissot

D Ouimette

D/M Edgar

D Stanese

D Hainault

D/M Ledgerwood

D Jakovic

M/F Petrasso

M Arid

M Nakajima

M Hutchinson

M Johnson

M Osorio

M Teibert

F Akendele

F Cavallini

F Jackson

FJackson-Hamel

F Ricketts

Petrasso--------Akendele--------Teibert

---------------------Osorio-----------------

-----------Hutchinson----Johnson----------

De Jong-------Edgar---Hainault----Jakovic

---------------------Borjan----------------------

Pretty good squad, but I'm not sure if i would call Stanese to the GC instead of Straith. I would want him with the U22's. Ricky Gomes is eligible for the squad too, but might not be released by his club (unless he moves up to a bigger club and isn't starting).

Pretty good squad, but I'm not sure if i would call Stanese to the GC instead of Straith. I would want him with the U22's. Ricky Gomes is eligible for the squad too, but might not be released by his club (unless he moves up to a bigger club and isn't starting).

I actually forgot all about Straith, so yes I agree with you there for sure!

Stanese plays 90 minutes week in week out. Straith currently isn't playing. If I had to chose between the two today, I would take Stanese.

If i had to choose based on merit then Henry would get called to the GC squad, but i'd rather these kids play together in prep. for qualifying than be sitting on the bench for the MNT.

If i had to choose based on merit then Henry would get called to the GC squad, but i'd rather these kids play together in prep. for qualifying than be sitting on the bench for the MNT.

On merit, Stanese and Straith would be numbers 5 & 6 behind Edgar, Henry, Hainault and Jakovic. 

Pricing for the Pan Am games tickets came out today.  Full information at http://www.toronto2015.org/tickets

Ticket requests start in about 4 weeks on September 15, 2014.  And you'll have until October 6, 2014 to request tickets.  If requests exceed supply there will be a lottery.  Any leftovers will go on sale later this year.

The football is all in Hamilton and runs from Saturday July 11 to Sunday July 26.  (16 days).

No further details about schedule yet.  Hopefully there'll be some by September 15!

There should be 8 teams for each gender.  I assume they'll do like 2011 with two groups of 4 teams, then semis and finals, interchanging women and then men.

With 16 days scheduled, I assume there'll be 2 matches a day during the preliminaries, and two semifinals each day.

It looks like tickets are a flat $20 for the preliminary round, and $35 for the medal games.  Half-price for those under 16.  Not sure if that's for double-headers or not.

Anyone got any idea if there's anything special for supporters?

in response to the question of why the US is not taking part:

I have no idea why the US isn't keen on taking part in this event.   But the info I have been provided indicates that they are not interested.  As such, Mexico gets a spot in the tournament

nfitz:

I'm not involved in the ticketing aspect of the event but I am quite sure those prices are for doubleheaders (so two games for the price of 1)

As for special pricing for supporters, I have no idea if the TO2015 ticketing people have considered that.  I have meetings with them this week so I can bring it up.

nfitz:

I'm not involved in the ticketing aspect of the event but I am quite sure those prices are for doubleheaders (so two games for the price of 1)

As for special pricing for supporters, I have no idea if the TO2015 ticketing people have considered that.  I have meetings with them this week so I can bring it up.

I'm not sure that special pricing is a big issue (the per match pricing seems quite decent!).  I think a bigger issue is trying to get the supporters together, rather than going through the lottery and being randomly distributed through the stadium - at least for the group stage.  And also perhaps the consideration of being able to get a packet of tickets to all Mens games, or Womans games.

Now perhaps this isn't fair if they were to be oversubscribed during the lottery.  But somehow, I would doubt if that happens with over 22,000 seats at the stadium.

BTW, the football at the Pan-Am starts on Saturday July 11, 2015, the weekend following the July 5th Women's World Cup final in Vancouver.  And a long time after the only likely Canada game in this part of the world (at the Big O on June 15).

• 2 weeks later...

Pan AM tickets are now on sale until October 6th - though they seem to want you to buy tickets, without even announcing what Canada's groups are.  The schedule is attached. post-3005-0-80237100-1410801250_thumb.pn

Based on the 2 groups of 4 format they used in 2011, then they are all double-headers except for the bronze- and gold-medal games.

And presumably Canada's men's games are on Sunday July 12, Thursday July 16, and Monday July 20, with the semi's on Thursday July 23, the bronze-medal match on Saturday July 25, and the gold-medal match on Sunday July 26.

For the women I'd guess that they'd play starting at 11 AM on Saturday July 11 (or 6 pm?) and then on Tuesday July 14, and Saturday July 18, with the semis on July 22, the bronze-medal match on July 24, and the gold-medal match on July 25th.

But I'd like to know for sure before starting to lay out $.

Ticket prices are (including a $5 ticketmaster fee per ticket) $25 for all of the double-headers, and $40 for the medal games.

Pan AM tickets are now on sale until October 6th - though they seem to want you to buy tickets, without even announcing what Canada's groups are.  The schedule is attached. attachicon.gifPanAm2015.png

Based on the 2 groups of 4 format they used in 2011, then they are all double-headers except for the bronze- and gold-medal games.

And presumably Canada's men's games are on Sunday July 12, Thursday July 16, and Monday July 20, with the semi's on Thursday July 23, the bronze-medal match on Saturday July 25, and the gold-medal match on Sunday July 26.

For the women I'd guess that they'd play starting at 11 AM on Saturday July 11 (or 6 pm?) and then on Tuesday July 14, and Saturday July 18, with the semis on July 22, the bronze-medal match on July 24, and the gold-medal match on July 25th.

But I'd like to know for sure before starting to lay out $.

Ticket prices are (including a $5 ticketmaster fee per ticket) $25 for all of the double-headers, and $40 for the medal games.

Yeah, same here. I'm not exactly keen on watching Panama take on Columbia. I want to buy tickets to watch Canada.

Gosh - there's no one that cares about this tournament really, is there?

I would care more about it if I had some real details.  I want to travel to see the games, but I have no idea when.  Once that gets decided then there will be more chatter.

The games are still 10 months away, correct?

I would care more about it if I had some real details.  I want to travel to see the games, but I have no idea when.  Once that gets decided then there will be more chatter.

The games are still 10 months away, correct?

Something like that.  Advance ticket sales end in a few weeks.

We know when the semi-finals are.  And it's one $20 ticket to both games, so that's probably worth picking up now.  And we know when the bronze and gold-medal games are.

And we can probably guess when Canada's group games are ... surely they get the A1 slot (though I guess the first women's game could be either morning or afternoon - but the others are likely obvious).

Archived