Loss of the National Football Stadium

Trillium

On 14 May, 2016 at 7:25 PM, 1996 said:

I would have rather kept the stadium the way it was the only change I would have put in was the north stand that was taken down. They have spent all this money and still did not build a proper roof only the east side has a roof that looks like a proper roof, now we basically have your old school 1960s CFL stadium with your classic open end zone style stadium not as dated and as open  as Tim Hortons Field but pretty close.

I have a question for people in Toronto.  Would it be possible to build a small stand on that raised area behind those two little stands that sit on top of the plastic pitch?  The two little ones make it look better than nothing on TV at least, but if there were another ten rows or so behind them it wouldn't take up a lot of room but would sure make it look better.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I have a question for people in Toronto.  Would it be possible to build a small stand on that raised area behind those two little stands that sit on top of the plastic pitch?  The two little ones make it look better than nothing on TV at least, but if there were another ten rows or so behind them it wouldn't take up a lot of room but would sure make it look better.

I think I understand where you are talking about. The problem is that behind those stands where the concrete concourse rises there is only about 5 metres of space between the stands and the edge of the stadium. They open the space between BMO and the Exhibition Food Building during the game for more space for people to stand. They may have to expand the area the BMO actually owns to get a stand on the North end. 

On May 14, 2016 at 10:25 PM, 1996 said:

I would have rather kept the stadium the way it was the only change I would have put in was the north stand that was taken down. They have spent all this money and still did not build a proper roof only the east side has a roof that looks like a proper roof, now we basically have your old school 1960s CFL stadium with your classic open end zone style stadium not as dated and as open  as Tim Hortons Field but pretty close.

Agreed.  Tearing down the north stand gives it a second rate look and feel.   Personally i have never longed for a roof but i dont mind it.  Moreso given that it was privately financed.   I liked the changes that they made last year and would have been happy had they stopped there.   Expanding  the capacity to 30k+, ensures that there is enough supply or inventory of seats to safeguard us against a surges in season ticket prices.

But in regards to this year's changes, i agree that   The added benefit of a roof or canopy doesnt (in my opinion) make up for the big eye sore that they have created with the emptiness in north end.  

7 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I went and took a look before the construction was finished but havent been to the north end since the opening.  When i go to the games, i enter at the opposite end.  Hence havent visited the north end since. 

From what i saw before construction was done:   I dont know what they did to cause it, but looks like there is very little room if any, to errect a north stand now.   There used to be room there in previous years.  There were concessions stands and a spacious concourse.  But now, it looks like the food building is right there.   The walk way between the food bldg   And the stadium entrance is now really narrow.   

Edit:.  some of the renderings still show a north stand.  Maybe they plan to put back.   When they installed it the first time,  they did it for the friendly versus Real Madrid.   So it was pretty quick.

41 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I went and took a look before the construction was finished but havent been to the north end since the opening.  When i go to the games, i enter at the opposite end.  Hence havent visited the north end since. 

From what i saw before construction was done:   I dont know what they did to cause it, but looks like there is very little room if any, to errect a north stand now.   There used to be room there in previous years.  There were concessions stands and a spacious concourse.  But now, it looks like the food building is right there.   The walk way between the food bldg   And the stadium entrance is now really narrow.   

Edit:.  some of the renderings still show a north stand.  Maybe they plan to put back.   When they installed it the first time,  they did it for the friendly versus Real Madrid.   So it was pretty quick.

Nothing has moved. The CFL end zone now sits were the old north stand once stood, so that's where all the 'extra' space disappeared to.

The footprint of the stadium remained the same as was established during last year's renovation.

17 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I think I understand where you are talking about. The problem is that behind those stands where the concrete concourse rises there is only about 5 metres of space between the stands and the edge of the stadium. They open the space between BMO and the Exhibition Food Building during the game for more space for people to stand. They may have to expand the area the BMO actually owns to get a stand on the North end. 

The scoreboard and those steps to the right are part of BMO, yes?  Could they not do something still in the space between the little stands and the scoreboard?

If you don't have a ticket, is the pitch visible as you walk past the ground?  When watching a game on TV, it seems there are always people walking back and forth there and looks pretty cornball.  Despite all my complaints, it's still a great ground for MLS, and a hell of a lot nicer than BC Place.  What's that green stuff the players run around on?

Wasn't there mention of some sort of banners or something hanging at the back of the south stand between the umbrella and the stand?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.  Thanks for the pictures Joe.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

35bypo1.jpg

34yw7xv.jpg

281eibk.jpg

18 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

On 5/23/2016 at 5:59 AM, SuperCanuck said:

I have a question for people in Toronto.  Would it be possible to build a small stand on that raised area behind those two little stands that sit on top of the plastic pitch?

On 5/23/2016 at 9:41 AM, Ruffian said:

I think I understand where you are talking about. The problem is that behind those stands where the concrete concourse rises there is only about 5 metres of space between the stands and the edge of the stadium. 

35bypo1.jpg

I'm multiquoting here to discuss what you can see in the bottom picture Joe supplied...  The way the stands are built, there are two sets of stands in each block - one behind the other, up on risers.  My guess is these all get used for CFL as well but side by side instead (removing the risers) and moved back as far as they can - maybe even up on the concourse?

There is absolutely room to either build another set of seats behind/above, or to extend sideways into the current standing room part - although I think the standing room part could be expanded by terracing it with risers/rails.  That, plus more of a backdrop, would make the end feel finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TFC groundskeeper at BMO Field on the hot seat
With Argos moving in — a tenancy that didn’t go over well with many Toronto FC fans — Robert Heggie’s profile has suddenly sprouted.
Laura Armstrong Staff Reporter thestar.com May 7, 2016

If Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco are the stars on the pitch for Toronto FC, Robert Heggie is the star behind it.

As head groundskeeper for the Reds for the past seven years, Heggie plays an integral, if largely behind-the-scenes, role in the club’s home performances.

But with the Toronto Argonauts moving in to BMO Field for the first time this summer — a tenancy that didn’t go over well with many Toronto FC fans — Heggie’s profile has suddenly sprouted.

He may not be Bradley or Giovinco, but Heggie knows it’ll be his number people are calling if BMO Field’s new tenants muck up the field.

“I’m just a quiet old grass guy that just wants to take care of his plants,” Heggie laughed when asked about all the attention he and his field have garnered as of late.

That being said, the interest in his turf doesn’t surprise Heggie.

When the idea of housing the CFL at the stadium started to get kicked around more than two years ago, he had a feeling the “very passionate” Toronto FC faithful would voice concerns.

It’s a lot of work, maintaining two sports, Heggie admits.

When Heggie spoke to the Star last month, he said his team had been working from midnight to 6 a.m. for the last few weeks, staying out of the way of the construction crews but on top of the grass’s growth.

He’s not overly worried by the challenge of two teams.

“This year there will be growing pains, don’t get me wrong. There always are growing pains with a new project but I don’t see it being a catastrophic disaster by any means.”

Those growing pains could be exacerbated by Toronto FC’s condensed home schedule due to Phase 2 of construction on the stadium.

Next year, Heggie said there will be fewer conversions from soccer to football, with longer periods in between.

Heggie talked to many others in his field, like the groundskeeping teams at FC Dallas — who will share the pitch with Toronto FC on Saturday — and Wembley Stadium in London.

“If someone is already doing something similar to what we’re doing, why reinvent the wheel? Why not just modify it for Toronto?” he said

The pitch at Wembley, Heggie said, sees about 400 hours of use over a season, between soccer, rugby, the odd NFL game and concerts.

BMO Field, he estimated, will only see about 120 to 150 hours a season.

And Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment has spared no expense getting Heggie the tools he needs to make the change from soccer to football, and the more difficult conversion back.

That includes a $1 million artificial heating system to speed up the growing process and Supaturf, an Australian brand of removable paint that will be used to draw on the gridiron.

With the grass for football at least a quarter of an inch taller than for soccer, some of the paint will come off with a good mow.

The rest must be removed; having gridiron lines across the soccer field isn’t acceptable, Heggie said.

“That’s very aesthetic (sic) and it just looks like junk.”

There’s also a backup field purchased and growing in the Hamilton area if necessary.

He’s in constant contact with players and coaches. As a man of many bosses, it’s Heggie’s goal to keep everyone happy.

“We want to have the best pitch in the league. Last year a lot of the players, like Bradley and Giovinco, all told me I have the best pitch in the league. So that’s what we’re going for again.”

By the numbers

Phase 2 of the BMO Field renovation is just about complete. Here’s a look at the construction project by the numbers.

200: Workers at BMO Field each day in the leadup to the home opener. During Phase 1 of the construction on the stadium, this number reached 400.
528: BMO Field will shine bright will all these new Musco Lights.
3,600: Tons of steel roof components to build the new canopy.
10,000: Seats will be added to the south end when BMO Field hosts the Grey Cup this fall. When the Leafs and Red Wings play in the Centennial Classic on Jan. 1, 6,000 to 7,000 seats will be added to the north end.

30,000: Capacity for Toronto FC games. The capacity for Toronto Argos games will be 26,500.
130,000: Bolts in the entire roof structure.
950,000: All constructed, this is what the new canopy weighs in pounds.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Why is this thread still going on? This is Men's National Teams & Players forum.

Can we move this thread?

On 14/06/2016 at 3:53 PM, Ruffian said:

Why is this thread still going on? This is Men's National Teams & Players forum.

Presumably - as the sign on the stadium notes, it is (or was) the National Soccer Stadium

When to the TFC-Van game last night, first time at the refurbished BMO. We were in the south stands and everything was great except they've mounted these huge speakers directly overheard now and blast crap music at high volume during half-time etc. It's really annoying, almost as bad as a Raptors game. 

21 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Loud Music you get that at any soccer stadium around the world at half time and before and after games, some might not like it but I think it comes to a person's taste in music really.

Even if it was music I liked, I had to practically shout to the person next to me to be heard, it was ridiculous. I'll never go to a Raptors game again, I got a massive headache out of it.

And it used to be fine before they mounted those speakers on the roof too.

Archived