Loss of the National Football Stadium

Trillium

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even for their season opener after weeks of hype about the stadium move with large numbers of Ticats fans likely to also be there? I am genuinely shocked that they couldn't manage a "sellout" for this one. The Rogers Centre is a lot easier to get to than BMO Field using the TTC, so I think pretty soon the media is going to have to concede that the problem is really that the GTA simply isn't interested in the CFL nowadays to an extent that justifies the level of media coverage that the Argos still receive.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

See the Argos only managed 24,000 (announced) for their home opener with several thousand out of that no doubt being Ticats fans. Good to see that their revival is going so well.

I think it being a Thursday didn't help matters, but yeah, I was hoping for a higher attendance as well.

I was there Thursday for the CFL game, and today for rugby. Pitch looked fine at the end of both games. Fingers crossed, no issues arise.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

See the Argos only managed 24,000 (announced) for their home opener with several thousand out of that no doubt being Ticats fans. Good to see that their revival is going so well.

Expectations were high, I'd say 95% met.  Next game on a Wednesday will be tougher, but they have a long road ahead and there will be peaks and valleys.  TV ratings were still good, not as high as the lofty expectations but still good for early in the year (700k).   Good to see a TSN guy called out a Rogers guy on his CFL hate. The usual haterz will hate but the story continues.

Except for the brutal performance of the team everything was a hit despite the propaganda the haterz have been dispensing.  Can't understand why they want to tear down a Canadian league, doesn't exactly help to win friends.

vdeagm.jpg

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I think pretty soon the media is going to have to concede that the problem is really that the GTA simply isn't interested in the CFL nowadays to an extent that justifies the level of media coverage that the Argos still receive.

Perhaps when the Argos drop from 700k viewers to under 100k then we might be able to discuss levels of media coverage.

That is driven mainly by people in the Prairies rather than the GTA and what I had in mind was the level of coverage in the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun and the FAN 590 compared to what TFC receive. In a recent survey the Toronto Star couldn't find anyone in the 18-34 age group that said the Argos were the sports team that they were most interested in.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That is driven mainly by people in the Prairies rather than the GTA and what I had in mind was the level of coverage in the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun and the FAN 590 compared to what TFC receive. In a recent survey the Toronto Star couldn't find anyone in the 18-34 age group that said the Argos were the sports team that they were most interested in.

http://www.sportscastermagazine.ca/on-air/overnight-ratings-cfl-opener-bmo-field/1003411857/

Overnight ratings data from the 2016 CFL game between Toronto Argonauts – Hamilton Tiger-Cats shows the Argos scored a 39 per cent increase this year over their 2015 debut. The home team lost the game, however, 42 – 20.

Numeris ratings confirmed an average audience of 692,000 viewers for the Argos and their new home of BMO Field – in the Toronto-Hamilton extended market, audience levels for the game were up 83 per cent over last year’s Argos opener, exclusive CFL sportscaster TSN noted in a release.

In total, 2.8 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the game on TSN, with coverage including on-field marching bands and special guest appearances by Argos legends Damon Allen, Mike “Pinball” Clemons, Raghib “Rocket” Ismail, and Joe Theismann.

The Toronto-Hamilton game also marked an increase of 46 per cent compared to last year’s CFL On TSN season opener matchup between Ottawa and Montreal.

Audience levels peaked at 912,000 viewers during the third quarter as the Argos attempted a second-half comeback.

So, they must have done something right to see an 83% local increase, but I suppose the counter argument is going to be "Well that's all from Hamilton and the surrounding region" or the old 83% of 1 viewer argument.

59 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

in the Toronto-Hamilton extended market, audience levels for the game were up 83 per cent over last year’s Argos opener.

So, they must have done something right to see an 83% local increase

Yes, they did something right.   In their opener at a new stadium they played the Cats.  They then focus on the increase in viewing between Toronto and Hamilton.   Of course there will be in increase in viewing heading towards Hamilton when the Cats are playing vs when the Cats are not playing.  Correct me if I am wrong but the Argos played Edmonton in their opener last year so this is a ridiculous comparison.  They focus on numbers that are obviously going to be inflated to make everything look super duper but fail to mention they couldn't fill their new home on opening night.  

2 hours ago, JDub said:

Yes, they did something right.   In their opener at a new stadium they played the Cats.  They then focus on the increase in viewing between Toronto and Hamilton.   Of course there will be in increase in viewing heading towards Hamilton when the Cats are playing vs when the Cats are not playing.  Correct me if I am wrong but the Argos played Edmonton in their opener last year so this is a ridiculous comparison.  They focus on numbers that are obviously going to be inflated to make everything look super duper but fail to mention they couldn't fill their new home on opening night.  

I will give you that, failing to sellout was bad, and there are arguments such as it being a Thursday night game, but that is a cop out. They didn't sellout against the rival down the road.

That said, the positives still outweighed the negatives, the television revenue greatly increased and is at the very least a sign that the Argos should do far better at BMO then the dome and a sign that even if it is off the back of Hamilton the CFL is doing well in the region.

Look for the amount of media coverage this got, not being able to sell out this game against your rival is not good I don't care how you spin it, and yes I'm bias because I'm not an Argo fan or a CFL fan or an NFL fan and I wish the Argos had moved somewhere else not BMO Field. However, let's admit they should have done better, their president had said that the opener would be a sellout and it was not, he also said that they would sell out most of their home games and now they have not sold out their home opener, he also said they would sell close to 20 000 season tickets and I'm hearing they have only sold 7000.  Moreover, I don't think the Argos warrant all the media attention they still get in Toronto, yes the TV numbers are very good but how many are actually watching in the Toronto area? TFC who have already had 3 sellouts this season don't get close to the media attention the Argos get and they have been averaging over 26000 a game already with hardly any media attention. I mentioned in another thread, TFC played the LA Galaxy a couple of Saturdays ago, in front of a sold out over 30 000 crowd, after the game I listened to the local TSN radio 1050 sports updates right after the game, I listened to 3 different sports updates on that station not once was the score mentioned, how the fuck is that fucken possible can someone fucken tell me?  If no one is in the stands then yes I don't expect them to mention the score I understand but when there are 30 000 people in the stands in a sold out stadium I don't understand! After all that I'm not saying that the Argos can't   get a bit of revival going at BMO and it can  work but it's going to take a lot of work and so far I don't care how you spin it, the season tickets are not what they expected and the opener should have been an easy sellout, so it's not going that good, however, it's still early and it's not a one year thing this is a five year thing so if after five years things have not improved then I would be worried if I was the Argos, however, it's not a good start in my eyes but it's very early still.

15 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

I will give you that, failing to sellout was bad, and there are arguments such as it being a Thursday night game, but that is a cop out. They didn't sellout against the rival down the road.

That said, the positives still outweighed the negatives, the television revenue greatly increased and is at the very least a sign that the Argos should do far better at BMO then the dome and a sign that even if it is off the back of Hamilton the CFL is doing well in the region.

Viewing for the game was good but they are comparing the Toronto-Hamilton area with the Argos playing the Cats  vs the Toronto-Hamilton area with the Argos playing Edmonton.   Of course there will be a much larger viewership in this area.  I don't think this proves anything about doing well in the region.   Although the numbers were decent in this area comparing the viewing numbers in the Hamilton area this year to last is comparing apples to oranges. If they had played the Cats in the opener last season and the increases were the same I would be impressed.   I would be interested to see the numbers for the same area when they are not playing Hamilton.  That would be a much better indication.   Cheers.

6 hours ago, pint said:

Who cares about the Argos or "Cats" this is about the National Soccer Stadium and the potential destruction of the playing surface.

Fair point, although the reason why and was benefits it have for Toronto is a worthwhile discussion, but I suppose off topic.

Regardless, any word how the pitch is after Football on Thursday and Rugby on Sunday? Only word I have is this tweet from the grounds crew, which seems to imply it's fine so far.

• 3 weeks later...

On June 26, 2016 at 11:49 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Judging from from i saw on television tonight and from the post games reports that included a reported crowd of 12k, i can conclude with certainty that: 

The argos need a smaller more intimate venue .  BMO field is too cavernous and too big.   They need a better stadium and cant continue to play at BMO.  They need to move to Centennial.

On a more serious note.  I have been going to BMO since the facility opened.  I have read things from some people outside TO suggesting the MLSEL padded the numbers in regards to announced crowds for TFC.  But having been there, i  know that what we saw was pretty much what was announced, except for a few exceptions.  Especially for horrible weather days.  Rarely was i ever totally shocked by the announced number.   In a few cases, a bit surprised maybe but it could be accounted for the fact that tickets were sold but there no shows.  Basically, whats reported for TFC is fair or pretty darn close, from what i can tell. 

But that number for the argos tonight, that was below or close to what TFC would get for those autumn encounters against the unknown central american clubs in midweek first round concacaf champions league matches.  And that was only the argos second game at BMO.

Edit.: sorry, i forgot.   It has to be that the weather was too nice today.  Yup thats the reason. 

The only match I can recall with TFC where it was really abysmal attendance was the final, meaningless, CCL game against Arabe Unido where it was something like 5K, if memory serves. I have a hard time believing, in stadium, that was 12K last night based on the photos.

I've always laughed at TFC attendance and even at it's lowest, I think around 2012/13 there were points where it was 16K, it still looked significantly more than what was seen yesterday.

Not to mention, TFC has had to deal with the same excuses (weather, indy, concerts, ttc closures, etc ...) for the last 10 years and never had a turnout look that dire.

9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I don't know what to say. Clearly the move to BMO and increase in marketing hasn't been the answer. Where do things go from here?

Even though i'm way more of a TFC fan than Argo fan, and more of an NFL guy than CFL, it would be incredibly sad to see an historic franchise like the Argos fold. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Maybe look at the actual problem with the team, they are not located near the current fan base and have made virtually no impact on the people around BMO.

Maybe in a few years they will look to do what they should have done and partner with a university to renovate or build a stadium (UOIT, UofT, York etc) and try an get closer to the people CFL appeals to, thus freeing the National Soccer Stadium back solely to soccer.

This was for a Wednesday night game, which also pretty much ended just about any but the most diehard of Ottawa fans from making the trip down and is pretty much the second worst day to have a game next to Tuesday. Espcially if you are trying to push the "Tailgating"

Then add all the streets being blocked off for the Indy this weekend and gruesome heat going into Thunderstorms, it was a recipe for a bad game. That said, just shy of 13,000 is the kinda crowds the Ti-Cats got in Guelph, no question they still have a lot of work to do. I don't think you abandon the location after one bad game, or even one bad season.

It is still a far better location and far more to work with at BMO then at the Dome and still no reports of brutal damage to the pitch. That and even the Montreal Alouette's move wasn't an instantaneous revival within a single year of the franchise. Give it some time.

Side note, I'd be intrigued what the TV ratings were like.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Even though i'm way more of a TFC fan than Argo fan, and more of an NFL guy than CFL, it would be incredibly sad to see an historic franchise like the Argos fold. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I second this. I know CFL gets a bad rap around here, but the loss of Canada's oldest professional club (although the Tiger-Cats have roots dating back to 1869) would be tremendous.

Archived