Loss of the National Football Stadium

Trillium

10 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

So that makes the BMO experience so much greater than anywhere else in the country?  Not trying to troll ya but just trying to understand.

I could care less about hardcore supporters who might appreciate (whatever the differences are (beside the turf)  I think more about the newcomers and general audience who will grow the game rather than a few hundred (thousand) guys who want to stand behind the net.  If they're as good of supporters as they claim they'll always be there.  It's the general public attending one/two games a year who create sellouts.

BMO was the best soccer-specific stadium at that time so it was reasonable to call it the national soccer stadium for international evens as they don't allow company names in the stadiums name.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were saying I was ignoring that it was soccer specific, I'm just wondering if that really matters.

Does being specifically built for soccer (despite being nowhere near the best stadium) in the country entitle it to be the National Soccer Stadium.  Does that alone make it worthy even if we have better facilities (before the BMO upgrade)

Aside from the turf and possibly some hardcore supporters behind the net what actual differences are there in a SSS and non SSS stadium that make BMO better (or more suited).  That is what I get you are implying, maybe I'm wrong on that.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...to continue this logic.

1) The CSA does not want to lose 101 grand, that's more probably more than Mont's CONCACAF election bribe money :P

Even if we don't count FIFA events like the 2014 U-20 WWC - which I think the contract covers, the CSA has played at least once a year  (CanMNT or CanWNT) in Toronto since the new city of Toronto contract.

2) The only other possible CSA type event in 2016 would be WNT friendlies: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/46/23/89/internationalcalendar2015-2016_e_neutral.pdf on:

April 4th to 12th (not possible BMO Field construction)
May 30th to June 7th (possible based on TFC/Argos schedule)
September 12th to 20th (possible based on TFC/Argos schedule)
October 17th to 25th (possible based on TFC/Argos schedule)
November 21st to 29th (too late in the season - the CSA hates the late autumn cold)

Final conclusion: so either the CanWNT plays 1 or more friendlies at BMO Field this year on those 3 dates OR the CanMNT will play at BMO for the Sept 6th WCQ.

58 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

@TorontoArgos Prez/CEO on ticket sales: "We're ahead of even our most optimistic expectations; we're expecting sellouts." #TSN1050 #CFL
6:45 PM - 18 Feb 2016

I'm sure many Voyageurs are just over the roof with that news!

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

@TorontoArgos Prez/CEO on ticket sales: "We're ahead of even our most optimistic expectations; we're expecting sellouts." #TSN1050 #CFL
6:45 PM - 18 Feb 2016

Mate this isn't the CFL thread.

17 hours ago, RS said:

Nitpicking here, but the CSA has never called it the National Stadium on game days, It's always been BMO Field, except for the FIFA events (2007 U-20 WC & 2014 U-20 WWC) and the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Sorry about the sidetrack, I just wanted to put that out there.

I appreciate the info. I noticed both names over the years and wondered if it had any rhyme or reason or if it was similar/akin to names on the back of Canada jerseys.

Interesting about the 16k in ticket sales due this year. Thanks.

17 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

So that makes the BMO experience so much greater than anywhere else in the country?  Not trying to troll ya but just trying to understand.

I could care less about hardcore supporters who might appreciate (whatever the differences are (beside the turf)  I think more about the newcomers and general audience who will grow the game rather than a few hundred (thousand) guys who want to stand behind the net.  If they're as good of supporters as they claim they'll always be there.  It's the general public attending one/two games a year who create sellouts.

Not tryin ta troll ya but "hardcore supporters" of the game are the ones using this board and the ones tryin to grow tha game. There's a way to care about both the new fan and your fellow Voyageurs at the same time. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada playing in far more venues going forward but chances are they feel strongly about doing a game at BMO for the reason stated above. Next year could be a whole new world. 

17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So BMO Field has to get a game in 2016 to reach 16 000 or the CSA breaches its contract?

I'll assume this is what you mean.

So either 1)June friendly 2)Sept WCQ, 3)October Friendly or 4)November Hex-WCQ/Friendly to reach 16 000 in 2016.

1)Won't happen. We will play Albania on neutral ground in Europe or are looking for something similar

3)Won't happen BMO can almost certainly not host an October friendly match because of the turnaround time to let the Argos play (October 10th & 15th) vs October 3rd->11th FIFA dates.

4) We aren't sure we will make the Hex and we won't sell 16 000 if we don't + the logic that the CSA hates the late autumn cold and will host any November game in Vancouver if we do make the Hex

Option 2) is the only one left:  Ergo (not Argo :P), we will play the September WCQ at BMO Field unless there is another CSA event there in 2016.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-44376.pdf

2012 dollars: $6 x 16 000 = $96 000

The contract includes CPI so using Bank of Canada inflation calculator for 2012 -> 2015 (no 2016 available yet) = $100 198.02  Let's assume at least another $800 in 2016 inflation due to the fall of the $CAN, food prices etc.. so that gives at least 101 grand.

Did you see anything about an end date to this agreement with BMO or some date of renegotiation? I would expect they are looking to take the Canada show on the road using this past year as an indicator. 

4 hours ago, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

Did you see anything about an end date to this agreement with BMO or some date of renegotiation?

Page 10 of 13. Under Appendix E. Dec 21st 2027. So for the next decade or so even if Canada goes "on the road" (our own country isn't really on the road), they are always likely to come back to BMO Field once a year.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Page 10 of 13. Under Appendix E. Dec 21st 2027. So for the next decade or so even if Canada goes "on the road" (our own country isn't really on the road), they are always likely to come back to BMO Field once a year.

Maybe the women will host that 'get Sinclair goals vs minnows' tourney there to satisfy the requirements. 

2yosbgw.pnghe

In other news, also heard Argos Prez, say that the Argos will have a huge state of the art (everybody says that) locker room that will be the best in the CFL.  Now that is saying something because Edmonton's is at an NFL level and Winnipeg and the new Regina are good as well.  Most locker rooms have their training rooms nearby but I assume the Argos weight rooms etc are at KIA. 

Did I read it somewhere or are visiting MLS teams going to have a part use of that? 

Shawn Jeffords multimedia journalist Toronto Sun February 21/2016
More photos at Shawn Jefford's Twitter account (above)

One last pic as things wrap up at BMO Field. Workers gather for a photo under south canopy.

juzf9d.jpg

Crane operators are working with limited visibility, relying on workers up above to help move canopy into place.

Workers are now guiding the canopy into place.

PCL says the entire expansion will be completed in time for TFC's kickoff in May.

Slow crawl of south canopy continues at BMO Field.

The canopy itself is 377 by 68 feet.

The south canopy weights 490 metric tonnes. The cranes can lift up to 1,000 metric tonnes each.

Lots of people out watching crews execute the lift. Took PCL and partners 2 years to plan.

The canopy itself is 377 by 68 feet.

2r3wcnk.jpg

A drone has been buzzing by overhead taking aerial footage.

PCL says weather was a big question coming. Winds could have made this difficult. No wind to speak of thankfully.

Workers have moved into place on supports.

We are told this lift will take 2-3 hours to complete. Things are moving pretty quickly right now.

Sports fans will be happy to hear this is all taking place well away from the field.

Two massive cranes are lifting the piece into place pretty quickly.

w1bbrs.jpg

Unlike the East and West portions, this one was assembled on ground. They will lift into place and then attach it.

Here at BMO Field as they lift the south portion of the new roof into place.

Archived