Andres Fresenga

Yohan

I really hope he impresses with Vancouver. We need a right back with the CMNT and getting this guy minutes is a step in the right direction to eventually filling that void. From what I saw with the U-23's, he is a natual RB which we haven't had since Stalteri, and you can see his technical ability is certainly adequte (no surprise as he developed in Urugury), he works extremely hard and as you can see from the interview, has a great attitude. One negative thing I did notice was his lack of pace. He is similar to ledgerwood in alot of regards, although I think he is already better technically. That is why I am excited about him.

You guys realize, of course, that if he did come to Vancouver he'd be unlikely to get a huge number of minutes, as Lee Young-pyo would certainly start and probably play 90 in every game he traveled to. I just want to warn you now so we don't get into another Whitecaps-won't-play-Canadians argument.

You guys realize, of course, that if he did come to Vancouver he'd be unlikely to get a huge number of minutes, as Lee Young-pyo would certainly start and probably play 90 in every game he traveled to. I just want to warn you now so we don't get into another Whitecaps-won't-play-Canadians argument.

I think most people have enough sense to understand Lee will be the undesputed first choice at RB. Like the article says though, the Caps have agreed to limit his minutes so he doesn't wear down, so I am thinking if Fresenga (if he signs and does well) could see 8 to 10 MLS matches this year (and hopefully 3 or 4 Voyageures cup matches). I think that is realistic. If he can not only reach those numbers, but also preform well, I think we can seriously start talking about bringing him into the CMNT.

Edit: btw how old is this kid? 21 or 20?

Edited by Obinna

Like the article says though, the Caps have agreed to limit his minutes so he doesn't wear down, so I am thinking if Fresenga (if he signs and does well) could see 8 to 10 MLS matches this year (and hopefully 3 or 4 Voyageures cup matches).

The only specific details of any agreement that have come out is that Lee won't be required to travel to away Eastern Conference games. That's, what, four or five games? We should keep expectations in line, is all I'm saying.

The only specific details of any agreement that have come out is that Lee won't be required to travel to away Eastern Conference games. That's, what, four or five games? We should keep expectations in line, is all I'm saying.

While quite possibly true, if he shows some quality and promise, it could also be 4-5 starts plus additional substitute appearances throughout the season, which any young player coming into a new league would have to be pretty positive about.

5 games, a couple of substitute appearances and otherwise included in the squad for most games I think would be a reasonable expectation (assuming they take him on of course). I think if Tiebert would have gotten that much action last year there would be a reduced amount of the particular criticism you've mentioned (reduced meaning exactly that ... not absent). In fact, one of the up sides is that you may start to whittle away at the anti-Canadian player perception (or reality if you prefer).

Edit: By 'included in the the squad' I mean on the bench not the starting 11.

That would already be more minutes than any Canadian got under Rennie last year. I thought Rago might play this role, but I'm happy with this kid too. Looked good at the U23s.

The other upside is that he would have YP Lee as a mentor. How many RBs in the world would sell their soul for that?

Good point. My only reservation about this move, from a MNT standpoint, would be that him getting South American experience is invaluable -- but getting guidance from a guy like Lee is pretty rare (and helpful) too. So perhaps the two would cancel out.

better players? sure. better professional? very few.

Several of the Caps young players like Watson have commented on the help that Lee has given them and how it has improved their game. The guy is a total pro and helps anyone who he can. We just totally lucked out getting him on so many fronts. I hope he stays with the Caps for a long time in as many roles as he wants!

Only the asians ones, theres plenty of better RBs to save your soul for.

That is true but very few of those better RBs are playing in Canada or in MLS or will ever do so since defenders are seldom DPs and when they are it is usually a CB. If things work out for Fresenga Lee is probably about as high level of RB that he could hope to learn from outside of being on a big team in one of the better European leagues.

Yeah, positives all around if this deal is finalized.

Excited by Rennie's direction this off-season. Seems willing to admit in his mistakes and bring back DC...

Rennie has hinted at bringing DC back? Really? Missed that one. Where did you hear that... do you have a link?