2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=3/news=bureau-of-the-council-recommends-slot-allocation-for-the-2026-fifa-wor-2878254.html

So, FIFA has put the allocation for the World Cup and there is this:

* The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.

So if there is a Canada-USA-Mexico World Cup, It's entirely possible that we would have to qualify to be in it. 

Just heard the news on twitter, I think the World Cup is losing jts lustre now.  Europe has too many slots and now CONCACAF too, no offense, but other than USA, Mexico and Costa Rica, no other CONCACAF country has done well.  32 was already pushing it, this bigger world cupbis due to greed now

10 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Just heard the news on twitter, I think the World Cup is losing jts lustre now.  Europe has too many slots and now CONCACAF too, no offense, but other than USA, Mexico and Costa Rica, no other CONCACAF country has done well.  32 was already pushing it, this bigger world cupbis due to greed now

I'm pretty sure there's a billion plus people around the world who will disagree with your opinion on the World Cup "losing its lustre" lol

59 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=3/news=bureau-of-the-council-recommends-slot-allocation-for-the-2026-fifa-wor-2878254.html

So, FIFA has put the allocation for the World Cup and there is this:

* The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.

So if there is a Canada-USA-Mexico World Cup, It's entirely possible that we would have to qualify to be in it. 

That sucks, and is stupid in my opinion. The wording says that FIFA decides the "number" of host countries to qualify automatically. I wonder if that is accurate or if it would actually decide "which" host countries qualify automatically. For example, with a Canada-USA-Mexico bid, could FIFA say "You only get one automatic qualifier" and CONCACAF say "OK, it's Canada, since the other two can qualify in their sleep." Or would FIFA say "Only Mexico qualifies automatically"?

Either way, I think this means we should say goodbye to Mexico and USA and go it alone.

23 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I'm pretty sure there's a billion plus people around the world who will disagree with your opinion on the World Cup "losing its lustre" lol

Actually World Cup advertising and revenue has slightly decreased over the years.  This bigger World Cup is more to get Asia and Africa more chances of making it, particularly China, who hasn't made a World Cup in 15 years.  Even Franz Beckanbauer was against FIFA increasing to 24 slots back in day because it dilutes the competition.  Now with 48 countries, we'll see 10-0 scores again

37 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

What are you talking about Europe has too many slots? The afc and caf are waaaaay to over-represented.

48 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Sure, but if we can't be a top 6 nation in Concacaf.... even if we host we don't deserve to be there.

List of hosts that have qualified for every World Cup that they entered.

Brazil
Germany (including West Germany)

That is all. Which is to say, everyone else that hosted had a chance of not qualifying, and yet they didn't have to. Some resume's of the recent past at the time of hosting for nations that were far from a sure thing to qualify if they had to.

Chile 1962 - didn't qualify for previous 2 tournaments before hosting
Spain 1982 - only qualified for one of previous 3 tournaments before hosting
Mexico 1986 - only qualified for one of previous 3 tournaments before hosting
USA 1994 - only qualified for one of the previous 10 tournaments before hosting
France 1998 - didn't qualify for the previous 2 tournaments before hosting (this is so up and down it's messed up. Their results were 1982 - 4th place, 1986 - 3rd place, 1990 - DNQ, 1994 - DNQ, 1998 - Champions)
Japan 2002 - qualified once after 9 failed attempts
South Africa 2010 - didn't qualify for previous tournament, although they had qualified for the 2 before that
Russia 2018 - only qualified for one of the previous 3 tournaments
Qatar 2022 - never qualified, and currently dead last in their qualifying group, with their only mathematical chance for 2018 being through the inter-continental playoffs.

15 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Actually World Cup advertising and revenue has slightly decreased over the years.  This bigger World Cup is more to get Asia and Africa more chances of making it, particularly China, who hasn't made a World Cup in 15 years.  Even Franz Beckanbauer was against FIFA increasing to 24 slots back in day because it dilutes the competition.  Now with 48 countries, we'll see 10-0 scores again

One could say those "slightly" decreased advertising revenue could be related to multiple FIFA scandals.  

However my main point is the billion plus people who live and die with the tournament every four years.  I agree there will be a lowering of quality of play initially but it also could hasten improvement for lesser teams with that proverbially carrot dangling in front of them.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Vic said for the longest time that all 3 should get an automatic qualification. I think that's ultimately what will happen. It would be bad for soccer if there was World Cup matches in Canada with no Team Canada.

Well, it would be bad for Canadian soccer.  Unfortunately, many soccer fans and sponsors in this country would not mind if Canada wasn't part of its own show.  Just as long as they were able to see their "home" country play in Canada or make a buck.

That said, if we can get our act together maybe we can get some of them on the bandwagon.  Everyone likes a winner.  We've got 9 years ...

53 minutes ago, Kent said:

That sucks, and is stupid in my opinion. The wording says that FIFA decides the "number" of host countries to qualify automatically. I wonder if that is accurate or if it would actually decide "which" host countries qualify automatically. For example, with a Canada-USA-Mexico bid, could FIFA say "You only get one automatic qualifier" and CONCACAF say "OK, it's Canada, since the other two can qualify in their sleep." Or would FIFA say "Only Mexico qualifies automatically"?

Either way, I think this means we should say goodbye to Mexico and USA and go it alone.

There's no way we are hosting a 48-team World Cup alone. 

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

List of hosts that have qualified for every World Cup that they entered.

Brazil
Germany (including West Germany)

That is all. Which is to say, everyone else that hosted had a chance of not qualifying, and yet they didn't have to. Some resume's of the recent past at the time of hosting for nations that were far from a sure thing to qualify if they had to.

Chile 1962 - didn't qualify for previous 2 tournaments before hosting
Spain 1982 - only qualified for one of previous 3 tournaments before hosting
Mexico 1986 - only qualified for one of previous 3 tournaments before hosting
USA 1994 - only qualified for one of the previous 10 tournaments before hosting
France 1998 - didn't qualify for the previous 2 tournaments before hosting (this is so up and down it's messed up. Their results were 1982 - 4th place, 1986 - 3rd place, 1990 - DNQ, 1994 - DNQ, 1998 - Champions)
Japan 2002 - qualified once after 9 failed attempts
South Africa 2010 - didn't qualify for previous tournament, although they had qualified for the 2 before that
Russia 2018 - only qualified for one of the previous 3 tournaments
Qatar 2022 - never qualified, and currently dead last in their qualifying group, with their only mathematical chance for 2018 being through the inter-continental playoffs.

Oh, I completely understand that. I also get that this world cup will have 22% of all FIFA members. It's 15% of all CONCACAF members. I know that other countries have got by and hosted without the ability to qualify, but frankly I am not a huge fan of it. It's why i didn't like Qatar being given the Cup and an automatic hosting spot. Having to qualify is good thing for Canada. Gives us more impactful games and more than likely the US and Mexico will be the automatic, so the competition would be more balanced.

18 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Oh, I completely understand that. I also get that this world cup will have 22% of all FIFA members. It's 15% of all CONCACAF members. I know that other countries have got by and hosted without the ability to qualify, but frankly I am not a huge fan of it. It's why i didn't like Qatar being given the Cup and an automatic hosting spot. Having to qualify is good thing for Canada. Gives us more impactful games and more than likely the US and Mexico will be the automatic, so the competition would be more balanced.

While I agree that qualifying is good for experience, I do think we overrate this fact when the real problem in many cases is simply our talent level and a lack of consistent playing time at a decent level.

With a guaranteed spot comes more attention for football and the CMNT in general. And as we know, attention means dollars. With greater attention, the prospect of more established young players (hopefully) getting into the fold, and then the actual WC in 2026 when that finally comes around - this kind of momentum could be the push we need. Furthermore, it can't hurt the prospects of a more established CPL and more fence-sitters choosing us in the future if we have any success at all (which would be more likely with guys like Tomori in the squad - as an example).

Suffice to say, it may not be the fairest way to improve our program as you mentioned, but FIFA has never placed credence into meritocracy!

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

There's no way we are hosting a 48-team World Cup alone. 

Maybe so, but there is no way I would be able to handle failing to qualify for a World Cup that we are hosting. The disappointment of not qualifying for a World Cup being hosted in our country (and being the first country to do that) would be much more crushing than 8-1 was.

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

If this is true Canada still wont make it!

I think we could make a top 6 in 2026. We've been the team that just misses the last two cycles and by 2026 we'll have actually had a generation of pro soccer in Canada and 7 or 8 years of Canadians in the CPL. Canada's situation will have improved drastically while others will have stayed the same.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Canada's situation will have improved drastically while others will have stayed the same.

....I think your in disbelief considering the whole CONCACAF has been evolving. Only statement this makes sense for is Mexico,.... and Mexico is Mexico.

Just now, Jahinho Guerro said:

....I think your in disbelief considering the whole CONCACAF has been evolving. Only statement this makes sense for is Mexico,.... and Mexico is Mexico.

The biggest evolution CONCACAF is gonna see will be in Canada. Yes there are changes happening elsewhere but if the CPL happens it will eclipse everything else unless a Pan-Caribbean league is formed.

Just now, matty said:

The biggest evolution CONCACAF is gonna see will be in Canada. Yes there are changes happening elsewhere but if the CPL happens it will eclipse everything else unless a Pan-Caribbean league is formed.

I agree (with the bolded.) But again, it brings no guarantees .

Shit I can't even tell you off the top of my head when the last time Canada made it to the hex. But Jamaica & Trinidad have in recent times. And those countries are making mass changes to there youth development. 

All in all, we'll have a better opportunity come 2026 just because of the two extra slots, and we will be competing with Panama, Honduras, Jamaica, Trinidad, and maybe Curacao (if their evolution happens).

Archived