2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

Just now, Ansem said:

I prefer final but would accept the opener. I doubt we're relegated to just 3rd place match and if that happened, we'd deserve both semi-finals.

The US are seriously declawed here and it will be CONCACAF deciding. All the USSF can do is ask but CONCACAF will most likely have the final say. The US could get both semi finals if Mexico and Canada split the opening and Final game. I'd be fine with that.

They bid is built by the trio not CONCACAF and they'll go after what makes sense to them. The US will get either the opener or the final because those are the spectacle games and the US can assure that they are the biggest possible games in terms of attendance and spectacle which will definitely appeal to FIFA.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are putting too much importance on the opening game. I would much rather have 1 semi-final compared to an opening game and third place

I'd think the facilities that are a lock in the US are Rose Bowl, AT&T Stadium, Met Life and Soldier Field..Atlanta has a pretty cool new stadium coming and they could be a contender along with U of Phoenix Stadium....NRG as well...

Toronto will do what they need to do to BMO to get it up to snuff....I'd imagine BC Place would have some sort of temporary grass surface put in...and I bet Mosaic would be used....the big question is what does Canada do in Montreal....you'd love to host games there but they need a suitable facility..

This is the best that we could hope for. Let's face it, we have close to zero chance of getting it on our own but do a joint bid and once we've established ourselves then see if we can get one by ourselves.

Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal all have stadiums that can hold enough and they'll grow grass indoors for a month. They won't use Saputo or TFC stadiums as they are too small.

I will get to see Canada in a World Cup for the second time! Yea baby, yea!!

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't think this will be a majority US-hosted tournament, especially when it comes to the knockout rounds with travel.  Also with it being a joint bid, they will expand the stadium requirements.  My random predictions:

Host cities (16 - each group is set to a specific city - seeded teams are 'matched' to a home city similar to the WWC)

USA - New York/New Jersey, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, St. Louis (new stadium)

Canada - Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal (new stadium), Edmonton

Mexico  - Mexico City (opening match), Guadalajara, Monterrey, Puebla

R32: All cities host one match 

R16: Montreal, New York/New Jersey, Atlanta, St. Louis, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Vancouver, San Francisco

QF: Toronto, Dallas, Mexico City, Seattle

SF: Chicago, Los Angeles

F: New York/New Jersey (3P: San Francisco)

36 minutes ago, theaub said:

USA - New York/New Jersey, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, St. Louis (new stadium)

They won't use two cities in california and do you really think they'll snub miami or orlando for st.louis, chicago,  seattle or Atlanta?

If they only have 4 cities it's la, nyc, dallas and orlando/miami

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I'm pretty sure they already said 12 host stadiums maximum not 16.  If it's a true joint bid then it should be split 4 cities per country.

My expectation is that the opener will be at Azteca and the closing will be in the US with Canada getting the 3rd place game.

Im pretty sure there are no rules yet for these new bids. (except for the fact that the AFC and UEFA are omitted from bidding, and that joint bids are allowed on a case-by-case basis)

9 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

Im pretty sure there are no rules yet for these new bids. (except for the fact that the AFC and UEFA are omitted from bidding, and that joint bids are allowed on a case-by-case basis)

Despite the 16 extra games, FIFA believes the current maximum of stadiums needed will stay at the 12 used by Brazil and Russia. However, the demand for more training bases and hotels means developed countries would be better equipped to win future hosting contests.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/world-cup-expansion-fifa-soccer-1.3928648

It might increase but for now the max is 12 (which is dumb)

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Is it possible that the bid goes unopposed?

With Europe and Asia out and the last WC coming from South America that really only leaves Africa.  Which country in Africa is going to be creating a bid for this?

Morocco. They shouldn't be taken lightly

2 hours ago, theaub said:

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't think this will be a majority US-hosted tournament, especially when it comes to the knockout rounds with travel.  

I'm holding out hope that our FA won't be so gutless....especially considering they had the upper hand going into this.

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Morocco was lining up a joint bid with Portugal and Spain but those countries can't host under FIFA rules that rule out the hosts of the previous 2 world cups.

Unless Morocco can get other African nations to join they don't have a bid. 

They were plotting a solo bid too. CAF is 56 members and Morocco is pretty well liked

2 hours ago, theaub said:

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't think this will be a majority US-hosted tournament, especially when it comes to the knockout rounds with travel.  Also with it being a joint bid, they will expand the stadium requirements.  My random predictions:

Host cities (16 - each group is set to a specific city - seeded teams are 'matched' to a home city similar to the WWC)

Canada - Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal (new stadium), Edmonton

Mexico  - Mexico City (opening match), Guadalajara, Monterrey, Puebla

R32: All cities host one match 

R16: Montreal, New York/New Jersey, Atlanta, St. Louis, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Vancouver, San Francisco

QF: Toronto, Dallas, Mexico City, Seattle

SF: Chicago, Los Angeles

F: New York/New Jersey (3P: San Francisco)

A new stadium in Montreal?  I highly doubt that.  At best, it will be a Big O renovation.

Big O renovation makes the most sense. The Olympic tower is already being renovated to accommodate office space for Desjardins employees. 

My prediction - 16 groups, 16 cities : 
- Canada 4 cities: Montréal, Toronto (temp BMO field expansion , or new stadium), Vancouver (BC Place) and Edmonton.

- USA 7 cities : NYC, LA, Dallas, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami/Orlando.

- Mexique 5 cities: Mexico City (Azteca), Guadalajara, Monterrey, Puebla, +1 new stadium.

There is no way I will be able to find a link, but I thought FIFA scrapped the rule against allowing the last two confederations that hosted, to host again. If I am right, I believe only Asia wouldn't be allowed to host 2026.

I don't remember exactly when I read this, but I thought it was around the same time that Infantino became prez.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

There is no way I will be able to find a link, but I thought FIFA scrapped the rule against allowing the last two confederations that hosted, to host again. If I am right, I believe only Asia wouldn't be allowed to host 2026.

I don't remember exactly when I read this, but I thought it was around the same time that Infantino became prez.

Europe and Asia are barred from bidding for 2026.  

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/10/14/fifa-council-prevents-europe-asia-bid-2026-world-cup

Archived