2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎16 at 9:37 PM, matty said:

For everyone questioning why the US would want us to be with them. From what I've been told by a few MLS writers, a US lacks a great deal of support from AFC, UEFA and the Caribbean nations, that Canada apparently has, and possible bid from Morocco could easily gain from separate North American bids.

Let's go on our own and crush Morocco and USA by putting out the best bid on the table!

Not bigger, but best in term of quality!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Has there ever been a host team that did not score 1 goal in a World Cup? I wouldn't want to be the first.

Whether you mean a team that didn't score a goal in the World Cup year that they hosted, or not having scored a goal in the World Cup before they have hosted, I believe the answer is no. As Fussball_eh suggested, Qatar has yet to score a goal in the World Cup (or play a game in the World Cup), and at the moment they are not looking likely to qualify for 2018.

On a related note, South Africa (2010) is the only host nation to have failed to get past the first round in their host tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.as.com/en/2017/03/07/football/1488900660_615809.html

Morocco, Portugal and Spain to launch bid for 2026 World Cup

Mohamed VI has asked King Felipe VI to join in a joint bid for the World Cup with Portugal to challenge USA, Canada and Mexico. Infantino backs the idea.

Mohamed VI of Morocco has asked Spain’s King Felipe VI to consider a joint bid including Portugal to host the 2026 World Cup. The idea has the backing of Fifa president Gianni Infantino and would be a counter-bid to challenge the USA, Canada and Mexico, who are also planning to run but have been weakened by the election of Donald Trump to the White House.

Trump competition

Morocco has set its sights on hosting the 2026 World Cup in conjunction with Spain and Mohamed VI is confident of counting on the aid of his counterpart King Felipe VI. Both countries also wish to include Portugal in the bid after the Iberian neighbours’ failed attempt to win the right to host the 2022 World Cup. The next two World Cups will take place in Russia (2018) and Qatar (2022). On the basis of continental rotation the joint North and Central American bid is the frontrunner after Germany played host in 2006 but the immigration policies of newly elected US President Donald Trump may work against their designs.

Infantino support

The Fifa president backs a bid that will take place in Africa and Europe and between Muslim and Christian societies. Infantino sees the possibility of a successful bid as a unique opportunity to demonstrate that football can bridge cultural divides and also serve to have Fifa nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for the initiative in order to clean up the organization’s image after a series of corruption scandals. Ángel María Villar has yet to comment on the idea as to do so he will first need to be re-elected as president of the Spanish Football Federation.

Felipe VI on board

The Spanish monarch sees a joint bid as a good idea, but only if it has a genuine chance of success. That may depend on the course that Trump’s migration policy takes. There is plenty of time to prepare: Fifa will not elect a host nation for the 2026 World Cup until May 2020.

Mohamed VI to pull out all the stops

A Morocco-Spain-Portugal candidacy – an Alliance of Civilizations -- is viewed favourably by the Moroccan and Spanish monarchs and also by Infantino. Working in its favour is the fact that Morocco holds the record as the country most often turned down by Fifa (the North African nation launched failed bids for 1994, 1998, 2006 and 2010) and that the joint Iberian campaign did not profit due to alleged irregularities in the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

48 competing countries

The 2026 World Cup will be an historic one as it will be the first with an expanded participation of 48 national teams placed into 16 groups of three for the first round. Draws will also be prohibited in the final round of group games and decided by a penalty shoot with no extra time. Morocco, Spain and Portugal hope to be the countries whose names go in the history books.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/03/210312/king-mohammed-vi-asks-king-felipe-host-2026-world-cup-morocco-spain/

FIFA president, Gianni Infantino, supports the Kings proposal. Infantino supports a world cup by horse back between African And Europe, between Christians and Muslims.

According AS, Infantino believes that the 2026 World Cup would be an opportunity to demonstrate that futbol (soccer) can be used to overcome differences and in this way also gain FIFA a nomination for a Nobel Peace Prize. Infantino added that having Morocco, Spain and Portugal host the 2026 World cup could help clear FIFA’s current image of being a corrupted organization.

-We really need to do this solo. We'll lose a joint bid with the USA

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

We really need to do this solo. We'll lose a joint bid with the USA

If the US and/or Mexico bid as well we'll lose. Even if borh abstain or withdraw from bidding, Morocco is still a heavyweight. A joint 3way bid gives us a better shot.

Canada vs US vs Mexico vs Morocco/Spain/Portugal = Morocco/Spain/Portugal
Canada vs Morocco/Spain/Portugal = Morocco/Spain/Portugal
North America vs Morocco/Spain/Portugal = Better chance

I'm also doubtful this will happen as Spain and Portugal are UEFA and hosting the World Cup would piss off everyone because Spain and Portuga is broke AF.

I just don't think FIFA would like the look of many of our stadia.  They might be fine for the CFL but they won't compare well in terms of esthetics to those of other bid countries.  And yes, the WC being a global showcase, it does matter.

Trump is a detriment to a joint bid but he is gone in 2021 (or 2025 in the worse case).  Eliminating rival CONCACAF bids (with a joint bid) will improve Canada's chances.

5 minutes ago, ray said:

I just don't think FIFA would like the look of many of our stadia.  They might be fine for the CFL but they won't compare well in terms of esthetics to those of other bid countries.  And yes, the WC being a global showcase, it does matter.

Trump is a detriment to a joint bid but he is gone in 2021 (or 2025 in the worse case).  Eliminating rival CONCACAF bids (with a joint bid) will improve Canada's chances.

Hosting rights are decided in 2020. Trump will still be president and could still be re-elected. That kind of "uncertainty" might be too much for FIFA to risk having problems/controversies.

U.S. travel ban could affect chances of hosting 2026 World Cup - FIFA chief

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/post/3078614/us-travel-ban-could-affect-chances-of-hosting-2026-world-cup-fifa-chief

Infantino said in London on Thursday: "When it comes to FIFA competitions, any team, including the supporters and officials of that team, who qualify for a World Cup need to have access to the country, otherwise there is no World Cup. That is obvious."

The competition will be expanded from 32 to 48 teams in 2026.

Of the countries affected by the executive order, Iran has the highest-ranked team in the FIFA rankings at 33rd and they have qualified for four World Cups. Syria, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen are the other countries on the list.

FIFA is finalising the requirements for bidding for the 2026 tournament, which in 2018 will be hosted in Russia and in 2022 in Qatar.

Infantino added: "Mr. Trump is the president of the United States of America and as such of course [I have] huge respect for what he does.

"He's in charge, together with his government, to take decisions that are best for his country. That's why he has been elected.

"In the world there are many countries who have bans, travel bans, visa requirements and so on and so forth.

"We are now in the process of defining the bid requirements.

"The requirements will be clear. And then each country can make up their decision, whether they want to bid or not based on the requirements.

"It's general sporting criteria."

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin made a similar observation in a recent interview.

High-up people keep coming out and saying that same thing, so it definitely sounds like they've unofficially made up their mind on this issue. As a result, I'm definitely willing to change my opinion on that matter of the joint bid. If Trump is still in office by the time bidding comes around, solo or just joint with Mexico sounds like the way to go.

If Trump gets the boot though and USA politics normalize, I'm absoultely still on board for a 3-way. (;))

1-So there you have it. The big boss himself said travel ban=no world cup. Also he's hinting that it will be clear within the requirements that travel bans will not be allowed. If that's the case, the USSF would have no choice but to pass on 2026 as Trump could care less about soccer. He's not going back nor letting go of his "ban" policy.

The CSA better get ready to solo bid.

2-Of course, Americans are saying that we don't have the money to build a brand new "Final game" stadium, to which I said the following:

In the 1976 Summer games, Montreal Olympic stadium had over 70k spectators to the final men's soccer match. The stadium could be reconfigured to have the number of seats exceeding 70k which is a number acceptable for a FIFA final match. It would cost way less to do this than build a brand new giant stadium.

• 2014 Estádio do Maracanã, Brazil = 74k seats
  • 2006 Olympiastadion, Germany= 69k seats
  • 2002 International Stadium Yokohama, Japan= 69k seats
  • 1990 Stadio Olimpico, Italy= 73k seats
  • 1978 Estadio Monumental, Argentina= 71k seats
  • 1976 Stade Olympique, Summer Olympics soccer finals, Montreal, Canada= 71 617

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_1976_Summer_Olympics

So no, in theory, we don't need to build a stadium for the finals, we already have one.

3-Then they said we don't have enough stadiums, to which I replied this:

Stade Olympique - Montreal, QC = around 70k seats (Finals)

• Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton, AB
  • BC Place - Vancouver, BC
  • Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
  • McMahon Stadium - Calgary, AB
  • Investors Group Stadium - Winnipeg, MB
  • Mosaic Stadium - Regina, SK
  • BMO Field - Toronto, ON
  • TD Place Stadium - Ottawa, ON
  • Tim Horton's Field - Hamilton, ON

We already have 10 stadiums that can be expanded and upgraded to meet FIFA requirements and be rejuvenated to be attractive and modern. Actually, the Blue Jays are already in the process of spending hundreds of millions of dollars to revitalize Rogers Centre and asked the University of Guelph to study how they could have permanent natural grass in the stadium.

So, we're missing 2 stadiums as FIFA said 12 stadiums are required to host a 48 teams World Cup. The safest assumption would be a modified CalgaryNext project and the Whitecaps getting the Waterfront stadium they were pursuing. The unknown would be cities like Halifax who could build a permanent stadium at 40k seats but could be reduced to 20k, same for Quebec City.

3 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

High-up people keep coming out and saying that same thing, so it definitely sounds like they've unofficially made up their mind on this issue. As a result, I'm definitely willing to change my opinion on that matter of the joint bid. If Trump is still in office by the time bidding comes around, I'm definitely leaning going solo or joint with Mexico.

If Trump gets the boot though and USA politics normalize, I'm absoultely still on board for a 3-way. (;))

The hosting rights will be awarded in Spring 2020. Trump will still be president and could even be re-elected. That`s too risky.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The hosting rights will be awarded in Spring 2020. Trump will still be president and could even be re-elected. That`s too risky.

Indeed, but it's still very much possible he gets impeached before then if all the Russia stuff with him continues to stick around. With a Republican congress, it's highly unlikely, but depending on how midterms go for Democrats, it could still potentially happen before 2020. I'm not counting on it, but it's possible.

Pence wouldn't be the model president to go with for a FIFA bid, but I think he has just enough politician in him to be 'normal' enough for FIFA to stomach, and his immigration plans likely wouldn't be as blatantly outrageous as what they're currently going with.

29 minutes ago, Ansem said:

"In the world there are many countries who have bans, travel bans, visa requirements and so on and so forth."

That's Ansem quoting Infantino of course.

Does anybody know which countries have travel bans like the USA? I tried to dig up that information and all I could find was that all of the countries with the exception of Somalia from his initial ban list (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan and Yemen ) have travel bans as well. Specifically I'm curious if Qatar or Russia have any bans, and Morocco as well (they seem least likely to have a ban, but more likely than Spain or Portugal which were recently brought up as a potential 3 nation co-hosting bid).

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's Ansem quoting Infantino of course.

Does anybody know which countries have travel bans like the USA? I tried to dig up that information and all I could find was that all of the countries with the exception of Somalia from his initial ban list (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan and Yemen ) have travel bans as well. Specifically I'm curious if Qatar or Russia have any bans, and Morocco as well (they seem least likely to have a ban, but more likely than Spain or Portugal which were recently brought up as a potential 3 nation co-hosting bid).

I know that Iran are reciprocating what the US are doing by banning US citizens (I think)...but they aren`t asking to host the tournament either.

That`s Infantino's point:

-Do whatever you want with your policies but don't try to have your cake and eat it too.

31 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

Indeed, but it's still very much possible he gets impeached before then if all the Russia stuff with him continues to stick around. With a Republican congress, it's highly unlikely, but depending on how midterms go for Democrats, it could still potentially happen before 2020. I'm not counting on it, but it's possible.

Pence wouldn't be the model president to go with for a FIFA bid, but I think he has just enough politician in him to be 'normal' enough for FIFA to stomach, and his immigration plans likely wouldn't be as blatantly outrageous as what they're currently going with.

Chances Trump being impeached on the Russian affair are slim to none as said by many political analysts.

Meeting Russians during the campaign isn't the problem. It's actually normal to meet with other country's representative when campaigning. However, lying about it is perjury and the controversy should be focused there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived