2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

Here are my thoughts.  Being its the World Cup which is the largest sporting event on the planet with the exception of the Olympics, the final likely be in Toronto.  No disrespect to Calgary, but its not going to happen there.  If Toronto doesn't get it, then I think it will be a revamped Olympic Stadium>  Therefore, I think you can expect as follows:

1.  Final - New Stadium- Toronto (could be new digs for NFL or possibly even a stadium to replace the Rogers Center for the Jays which will be over 35 years old by 2026)

2.  Semi Final - Olympic Stadium - Montreal (needs to be renovated which it will be long over due for anyway but that would have it over 60 k)

3.  Semi Final - Commonwealth Stadium- Edmonton (expanded to be over 60k)

4.  Quarter Final - New McMahon Stadium  - Calgary (new stadium with expansion over 40 k seats)

5.  Quarter Final - BC Place - Vancouver (probably can be used as is)

6.  Quarter Final - TD Place - Ottawa (temporarily expanded to 40k)

7.  Quarter Final - Tim Horton's Field - Hamilton (temporarily expanded to 40k) - I took Hamilton over Winnipeg as GTA and you want two QF's in the east; could possibly be BMO field as well

8.  Investor Group Field - Winnipeg (temporarily expanded to 40k)

9.  Mosaic Stadium - Regina (temporarily expanded to 40k)

10. BMO Field - Toronto (temporarily expanded to 40k)

11.  New Stadium - Halifax (for CPL and/or CFL side)

12.  New Stadium - Quebec City (for CPL and/or CFL side); or an expanded Saputo or Molson stadium in Montreal as you need two markets in Quebec ideally

So looking at the above, you need one large stadium in Toronto; one new one in Calgary which is overdue; a major refurbishment in Montreal; two smaller stadiums in Halifax/Quebec City that will be expandable to 40k; and then the expandable options that already exist in Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, BMO field and Regina. Stadium infrastructure wise we are closer to being there than most recent bidders and with exception of the Olympic Stadium, all others would likely have permanent tenants after the event.  We are in a good place.

Probably need more hotel rooms in Regina and possibly Halifax but otherwise it works.  All have airports in close proximity so no issues there (although not sure some of them have international flights from outside continental north America)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, An Observer said:

Probably need more hotel rooms in Regina and possibly Halifax but otherwise it works.  All have airports in close proximity so no issues there (although not sure some of them have international flights from outside continental north America)

No problem in Regina. I can host them at Keaton Manor.

(If you get that reference you're old)

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/01/trump-told-mexico-to-take-care-of-bad-hombres-or-his-military-will.html

Trump told Mexico to take care of ‘bad hombres down there’ or his military will

Safe to say the co-bid with Mexico is agonizing...LA2024 are pretty much doom right now...

Starting to think CSA will go solo to dissociate themselves from the USA. Trump might be the CSA best friend :D

The reason for the Calgary finals is it drops the stadium infrastructure costs to around 500 million instead of 4 new stadiums at 1.2 billion (the full time 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto would be more than 22,000 seat stadiums in Halifax  and Quebec plus a 40,000  permanent (80,000 temp) in Calgary  

With a World Cub bid there would also probably be another 5-7 billion in transit infrastructure  so saving 700 million on a 3rd  stadium may be appealing.  

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/01/trump-told-mexico-to-take-care-of-bad-hombres-or-his-military-will.html

Trump told Mexico to take care of ‘bad hombres down there’ or his military will

Safe to say the co-bid with Mexico is agonizing...LA2024 are pretty much doom right now...

Starting to think CSA will go solo to dissociate themselves from the USA. Trump might be the CSA best friend :D

Yeah, I am no expert on how much political cooperation is involved/required in a joint bid, but any kind of collaborative effort for a WC bid seems pretty unlikely at this point.

"The phone call between the leaders was intended to patch things up between the new president and his ally."

• Pretty sure a threat to move your military (uninvited) into another sovereign nation is not the best way to "patch things up".
  • At this point, it is not entirely clear that they remain steadfast allies. 

No idea how this all shakes down for a Canada WC bid.  Do we go it alone?  Do we co-bid with Mexico, ignoring the US due to its political issues (that could impact the appeal of a trilateral bid to FIFA)?  Or do we throw Mexico under the bus and try to be buddy-buddy with the US?

Gah.

Honestly, if Mexico want to have the World Cup they wouldn't co-host it with us, they would want to host it on their own. We should just make a bid on our own.

I like our chances seeing as the USA is currently in disarray and I don't see Mexico being awarded their 3rd world cup. If Colombia wins it then we had already lost before the voting process took place. 

I do believe that our national team had to perform a little better to increase the odds of hosting the tournament too. Like making it to the hex, semi-finals of Gold Cup, qualifying for the Super Copa America. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I am no expert on how much political cooperation is involved/required in a joint bid, but any kind of collaborative effort for a WC bid seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Trump will be gone by 2024 at the latest. The World Cup to be hosted is in 2026. He might not have as big an influence on this as some people seem to think. The American media still seem to be spinning it as a three-way thing:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/north-america-mulls-soccer-world-cup-bid-trump-45167768

...TRUMP'S PERSONAL SUPPORT

Gulati and Montagliani have spoken cautiously about having faith in Trump's support of sports.

"We will work with him," Gulati said on the sidelines of a U.S. vs. Mexico World Cup qualifying match days after his election. "A bid, if it should happen, relies heavily on cooperation with the government in a number of areas. I look forward to working with (President Trump). He is an avid sports fan."

"A big sports guy and he's proven that in the past," Canada's Montagliani official said at FIFA on Jan. 10 of the U.S. President...

Agreed.  He may be gone but the bid has to be prepared way before then.

From Wikipedia:

Bidding for the 2026 FIFA World Cup was postponed due to the 2015 FIFA corruption case and the subsequent resignation of Sepp Blatter,[21] then restarted following the FIFA Council meeting on 10 May 2016, wherein the bidding process will consist of four phases:[22]

• May 2016 – May 2017: a new strategy and consultation phase
  • June 2017 – Dec 2018: enhanced phases for bid preparation
  • January 2019 – February 2020: bid evaluation
  • May 2020: final decision

The consultation phase will focus on four areas:

• The inclusion of human rights requirements, sustainable event management, environmental protection in the bidding
  • Principle of exclusion of bidders that do not meet technical requirements
  • Review of the current stance on joint bids
  • Number of teams

From the above, it sounds like bids need to be in by the end of next year.  Its highly unlikely that Trump would be impeached by then and I suspect it will be politically impossible for Mexico to work with Trump during this period as NAFTA will be being renegotiated and some pretty acrimonious discussions around the wall will be had.  I would say that is pretty difficult for even Trudeau to be seen to be supporting a joint bid with a Trump led US although that may be politically possible.

A joint Mexico-Canada bid is interesting but wonder how that would go down as that covers a lot of territory and we are not border states.  My bet at this point in time is 3 individual bids (at least to start).  I guess we will also know by May what the "review on the current stance on joint bids" produces...this may make it easier or more difficult for a joint bid.

Frankly, given the situation in the US with Trump, I would personally think a solo bid by us over independent bids by the US and Mexico may put us as the favourites.  Lets face it, I suspect the US has lost all the middle east and possibly African votes and some of the Asian ones as well over Trump's immigration policy.  South America will likely back Mexico due to proximity although they may feel that makes it difficult for Colombia to host the following world cup due to proximity and may prefer to back Canada.  Most of Europe probably leans to Canada as much easier to get to than Mexico.  Concacaf could go either way especially with Montagliani as president who may sway some votes either way (and given the fact Colombia would likely host the next one which is in their vicinity).  As for the US buying the World Cup, it probably doesn't make that much difference in $$$ than a Canadian bid. Sure slightly larger stadiums but ticket pricing would be the same and timezones would as well.  Also, with a 48 team World Cup, the fact our national team has been crap likely means little as we will likely be out after two matches anyway and there will be 47 other sides.  And Canada has a strong tradition of supporting various other national sides.  And that didn't stop Qatar.

Just now, Mister215Guy said:

I'm not a senator from anywhere. I'm a late-20's former American fan who decided to love and support Canada and hate everything about the US.

Damn. That could be 50% of Americans right now. I'm never gonna figure this out

10 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

Can @matty please stop thinking I'm a troll?

Dude, if you actually want people here to take you seriously, you need to make more than one point repeated constantly.  We get it - you hate America and think MLS is shit.  Everyone now knows your position on that.  Point taken.  There is no need to spam every thread with essentially the same comment to repeat your position endlessly.

Want people to stop thinking you're a troll?  Then stop acting like one.  Because up to this point, your post pattern couldn't be more trollish if you lived under a bridge and ate hobbits.

Lots of room here for passionate Canadian footy fans.  

15 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

I'm not a senator from anywhere. I'm a late-20's former American fan who decided to love and support Canada and hate everything about the US.

Alright, this is a start. We got somewhat of a backstory finally. However, don't stop here. Continue and elaborate more on your frustrations with supporting the US team. People hearing your underlying reasons will help your cause tremendously on this forum.

Archived