2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

3 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I agree (with the bolded.) But again, it brings no guarantees .

Shit I can't even tell you off the top of my head when the last time Canada made it to the hex. But Jamaica & Trinidad have in recent times. And those countries are making mass changes to there youth development. 

All in all, we'll have a better opportunity come 2026 just because of the two extra slots, and we will be competing with Panama, Honduras, Jamaica, Trinidad, and maybe Curacao (if their evolution happens).

I fully agree with you that nothing is a lock

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

....I think your in disbelief considering the whole CONCACAF has been evolving. Only statement this makes sense for is Mexico,.... and Mexico is Mexico.

This has always been the kicker.  Canadian footy - in terms of the on field product provided by the CMNT - has been steadily growing in my opinion.  But it isn't just that it needs to grow - it is that it needs to grow at a faster pace than our rivals so that we can overtake them in any realistic ranking of CONCACAF nations.  That is where we have stumbled.  Yes, we have a few guys playing at a high level, but then you quickly realize that most of the other countries in this region do as well, and many also have a few marquis players that are in truly top leagues. 

The potential (and hopefully inevitable) growth in Canada is something we can reasonably expect in the coming years, but it still doesn't address the fact that other countries are also growing the game. 

21 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Actually World Cup advertising and revenue has slightly decreased over the years.  This bigger World Cup is more to get Asia and Africa more chances of making it, particularly China, who hasn't made a World Cup in 15 years.  Even Franz Beckanbauer was against FIFA increasing to 24 slots back in day because it dilutes the competition.  Now with 48 countries, we'll see 10-0 scores again

This is not true. FIFA posted a 33% increase in revenue from 2010 to 2014. I haven't looked in depth at the 2010 FS but at worse marketing income was flat in 2014. Where are you getting this information that revenue and advertising is down?

If there was a chance for Canada to host WC solo, it is coming now!

Keep away with USA, they are poisonous if we bid together with them. Mexico are more than welcome for co-hosting, but it is not feasible since we are not direct neighbors. So, let's do it by ourselves! Short of stadium is nothing comparing the huge revenue WC gonna to generate. All bills/debts would be soon paid off and the whole country would find more money in pockets after a carnival style month.

Just imagine that Canada won't have a chance again before 2042.....   

Sorry, English is my second language ;)

http://www.worldsoccer.com/columnists/mexico-keen-to-host-the-world-cup-for-a-record-third-time-396759

....De Maria, who succeded Justino Compean as FEMEXFUT president two years ago, believes that sporting interests on both sides of the Rio Grande can overcome political unpredictabilities.

He said: “We have been saying for the past five years that we wanted to try to host the World Cup in 2026 and nothing has changed our interest and determination.

“Our fans are excited about the chances to make football history by co-hosting and in seeing the Estadio Azteca become the first stadium ever to host matches in three different World Cups.

“We are in discussions about this. I think we get on well with the other federations and I am very positive about the idea. We have other excellent venues and, after all, Mexico is a football-crazy nation.”

Cant put the cart in front of the horse.  Thats what we are doing with the talk about whether or not we make it to the world cup with six spots available. Or, whether we should host the world cup or not in 2026.  

We need to start playing well. Thats whats important.  We need to produce players who can have an impact on a game and who can make team mates better.  And, who can hold down first team spots professinally in a meaningfull competitions.  Right now we dont have that synergy on the national teams whereby you have the cream rising to the top or "the stars of stars" coming to play on the national team.  And finally, if/when canada finally produces those players, they need to want to play for Canada. We dont have any of that. 

To suddenly be trust into the World Cup through the back door (due to host status) would leave more of a bitter taste IMO.  I still remember when we played at the world cup finals in 1986. I watched all the games in the tv.  What stood out for me is that we played like we knew that we didnt belong there amongst the field. We played not to embarrass ourselves.   We didnt qualify again, and the result was that the game didnt grow and we didnt produce significantly better players. More dispointing was the hex in 1998.  My memory of that event was that in the first two games against mexico, and the US, we held on for dear life and still lost convincingly.   To me that 1998 campaign in the hex was as disappointing as any of subseqent the eliminations in semi final rounds.  

We have seen many lower heralded qualifiers from africa, asia and even Concacaf (eg Honduras, Jamaica) go to the world cup finals and finish last in their group but at least show you stints that they can or want to play well.  By that, i mean, show that they can score a goal at least.   Thats not where we are now, and 2026 is only nine years aways.  

I used to think that trying to host the world cup finals was a good idea.  But i have changed my mind and changed perspective.  Right now now it looks like nothing more than a money grab by the the CSA, governments, tourism groups, chmabers of commerce and several other entities (corporate or otherwise) who are really not interested in soccer but instead, interested in the money and profile that the world cup brings to canada.  If they were interested in soccer and the legacy for the game, then they would be asking or talking about what we need to do in order to play better and produce better players.

59 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

^ Agree wholeheartedly.

We should not even consider applying to host a World Cup until we have a team that could qualify on merit. The team we have today would set new World Cup records for host-nation failure that would stand for a hundred years and make us a laughing stock worldwide for decades: least points by host nation, lowest group standing by host nation, earliest exit by host nation, least goals scored by host nation, most goals conceded by host nation. Ugh. It does not even bear thinking about.

I disagree. As a host nation in a 48 team tourney we would get a #1 seed in our 3 team group, so presumably we would end up with a team seeded between 17-32 and another 33-48 (in a perfect world, but i believe pots are usually split along confederation lines after the top seeds are selected). That means we would avoid playing any of the top 15 teams in the world, no Argentina, Brasil, Germany, France, Italy etc. We might get a Sweden or Ghana, but we could also get Ecuador or Egypt. We might not win, but we'd have a chance for a point at least at home in front of 50,000 fans. And the other team would be someone like China or Saudi Arabia or Mali, do we really think so little of our team that we don't think we have a chance to get 3 points?

I am firmly in the disagree camp.  We only get so many opportunities to host a WC, and that opportunity should be considered on its own merit - not just as a vehicle for improving the CMNT.  For many fans, this would be the only chance to go to a WC, and that opportunity needs to be valued regardless of Canada's potential performance.  We shouldn't get the World Cup because it will finally let us play in a World Cup - we should get it because its the fucking World Cup!

Plus 9 years is a fair bit of time to make investment and improvements to the program.  Plus the chance to host would lead to additional investments that could jump start the process.  And even if we were to play in it and despite the investments be somewhat underwhelming, I don't see us being so appallingly bad that it becomes an embarrassment to the national identity.  And we may even bang in a goal or two. 

For the record, no one is viewing this as an excuse to not strive for better quality of play. It is not an either/or equation.  And all those things mentioned (profits by "CSA, governments, tourism groups, chambers of commerce and several other entities [corporate or otherwise]") are actually good things for the country too.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that their desire for profit would also result in some (good PR) investment in the program, which in turn would yield tangible results on the field.

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

^ Agree wholeheartedly.

We should not even consider applying to host a World Cup until we have a team that could qualify on merit. The team we have today would set new World Cup records for host-nation failure that would stand for a hundred years and make us a laughing stock worldwide for decades: least points by host nation, lowest group standing by host nation, earliest exit by host nation, least goals scored by host nation, most goals conceded by host nation. Ugh. It does not even bear thinking about.

Q.A.T.A.R.

They will be the embarrassment of the 2022 World Cup in a 32 team tournament. We will be playing a tournament featuring the world super powers of Uzbekistan (who we beat just last year) and China

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

Americans are saying the bid is a stupid idea and they could easily host it on their own.

Thing is they had to have a joint bid because Fifa already said it would be hard for the USA to host with their Muslim ban with the increasing likelihood of countries like Iraq qualifying and by forming a joint bid they are removing the competition they would get from seperate Canadian and Mexican bids

This joint bid ensures that the individual bids don't split the vote and have some random European country come in and steal it. 48 teams, three countries, cripers. Not the right forum to say this but the international game is already lower quality and less interesting than club soccer, the dilution of the WC and the Euros is not going to help.

Not a big fan of an expanded WC, or 3 countries in a joint bid. However, as long as Canada gets into a WC then I'll be happy. It will increase amount of talent coming home to us, and inspire a generation of youth to play the game and support Canadian soccer. Lets face it, we need to be on the big stage to advance our game, but most of us could agree we probably don't deserve it yet, and we are still years away from earning a qualification the hard way.

Vic is trying to get us in the WC no matter what, so I like it!

So it's official. FIFA in full greed mode having the 2026 WC expanded to 48 teams and in order to accommodate these many countries coincidentally a three country bid from North America is submitted. Grrr. I think Canada got jypt from hosting the WC on their own considering we did all the work FIFA asked of us hosting U-20 and Women's WC yet get screwed for showcasing the main event and have to settle not to share it as cohosts but have to agree to a manage à trois??? And unlike the US and Mexico we've never hosted a WC. 

Anyways they'll most likely jack the tickets at $75 for the cheap seats and $400 for the best seat come 2026 with inflation. 

I think the seats would be more expensive tho considering all of the casual fair weather fans would want to witness a world cup game live. How much would seats in the Canadian section cost though?

They need to build a 60 thousand seat stadium in Toronto( because the field at BMO is too small )  or adjust seating at the sky dome to actually look like a soccer stadium and install grass at the big O in MTL and I could see Empire Stadium in Vancouver being used along with commonwealth, new mosaic & Investors Group Field

I am not a fan of the joint bid. But it is the closest we will likely get in my lifetime. We certainly don't have the infrastructure alone to host a 48 team tournament. 

I am however concerned we will just get the bum deal the shitty groups in Canada with the glam ties and the latter stages all in US and Mexico. 

If the Americans are upset about it for sure let them put their own bid together and we can host with Mexico, build our own wall and hope over both for games. 

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am however concerned we will just get the bum deal the shitty groups in Canada with the glam ties and the latter stages all in US and Mexico. 

Not too sure that would happen considering they draw the groups after they pick the venues for each fixture. I would however be concerned with the amount of games we get

47 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

They need to build a 60 thousand seat stadium in Toronto( because the field at BMO is too small )  or adjust seating at the sky dome to actually look like a soccer stadium and install grass at the big O in MTL and I could see Empire Stadium in Vancouver being used along with commonwealth, new mosaic & Investors Group Field

We don't need to build a 60k stadium. BMO can expand to 40k and no chance a game is played in the big O unless heavy renovations are done. Place is a dump

Archived