No, no, a million times, NO.

I just don't see how OH, regardless of any stigma or whatever, is even an option when I think it's clear with how many games this guy has been able to play over the last few years that he is not fit enough for football anymore let alone the physical style of the MLS in a Dmid spot. It makes me laugh to think OH even believes he can actually play more than 10 games in the MLS without crippling himself further.

I also don't see how he would be any sort of upgrade over even Koffie who is maturing every game. When you see the types of players who succeed at Dmid in the MLS they are a lot more durable and athletic than OH is or every will be. Then add in the stigma and all the other bs that OH seems to bring out in people that it makes absolutely no sense on any level to bring him in.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you get how easy it is Richard to make a decision on the internet that you will never have to make in REAL Life? Playing for Canada could have taken millions from this players pocket and possibly the chance to play for Europe's top teams but let's not let that get in the way. They should all play for the love of game and Country. I doubt many have such complaints about Owen Nolan turning his back on Ireland the Coutry of his birth to play hockey for Canada, the comparison is not that far apart!!!

Don't you get how easy it is Richard to make a decision on the internet that you will never have to make in REAL Life? Playing for Canada could have taken millions from this players pocket and possibly the chance to play for Europe's top teams but let's not let that get in the way. They should all play for the love of game and Country. I doubt many have such complaints about Owen Nolan turning his back on Ireland the Coutry of his birth to play hockey for Canada, the comparison is not that far apart!!!

I have never heard of Owen Nolan, but if Ireland has an ice hockey team, he should be playing for them...

Bates said:

Owen Nolan came to Canada when he was seven months old.

07_fail.jpg

Then when did Owen Nolan move to Canada? The GW pic doen't clarify things.

If we want to compare hockey players, Petr Nedved may be one place to start. I think he's even a bigger douche than OH.

My stance on the issue is this, I am a Whitecaps fan and yes he will make the team better if he is indeed healthy. However, if he were to take a position as a 'Canadian' then i'd be pissed off. Right now it's all hearsay and conjecture and it's fun to watch you all go at it. :) Eventhough he's under contract, I'd like the Caps to get Atiba, that would be sweet.

Then when did Owen Nolan move to Canada? The GW pic doen't clarify things.

If we want to compare hockey players, Petr Nedved may be one place to start. I think he's even a bigger douche than OH.

My stance on the issue is this, I am a Whitecaps fan and yes he will make the team better if he is indeed healthy. However, if he were to take a position as a 'Canadian' then i'd be pissed off. Right now it's all hearsay and conjecture and it's fun to watch you all go at it. :) Eventhough he's under contract, I'd like the Caps to get Atiba, that would be sweet.

Fan of VWC or not, the last thing in the world this board needs is for Atiba to move to MLS.

Fan of VWC or not, the last thing in the world this board needs is for Atiba to move to MLS.

I can understand the concern if the drop in the level of soccer turns him into another JDG but would this be worse than OH? the only thing I'd agree with would be that its premature. It would still be good for the Caps

If you were an aspiring professional footballer with dual nationality and had a good crack at both Canada and England, playing for which country would do most for your career?

Now Richard, you are re-writing history.

The Whore had already secured a contract at Bayern Munich. He had made it. At that point playing on a specific national team would have done little or nothing to advance his career.

The Whore had already secured a contract at Bayern Munich. He had made it. At that point playing on a specific national team would have done little or nothing to advance his career.

+1. That's what I don't get. All the Mr. Glass apologists say that it made sense for him because it furthered his club career. Was he not at Bayern in 1997, then called to England in 2001 or 2002? Then on to Manchester around 2008? On top of that he barely played in 2002 WC.

+1. That's what I don't get. All the Mr. Glass apologists say that it made sense for him because it furthered his club career. Was he not at Bayern in 1997, then called to England in 2001 or 2002? Then on to Manchester around 2008? On top of that he barely played in 2002 WC.

Highly selective memory amongst the Whoreglass apologists apparently.

What history is my question rewriting? I am still waiting for somebody to actually answer the question instead of talking around it.

What history is my question rewriting? I am still waiting for somebody to actually answer the question instead of talking around it.

Claiming that somehow his decision to play for England was in any way neccessary to advance his career when he had already signed with one of the biggest clubs in the world. When you get signed by a club like Barcelona, ManUre, Real Madrid, Ajax, or Bayern Munich you have made it.

I do not agree that my post in any way rewrote history so we will just have to agree to disagree. Still no answer to my question though, from anybody.

Let me pose another question, in all honesty and formal rules aside, how readily would Barcelona, ManU, Real Madrid, Ajax or Bayern Munich release a player for an England international friendly versus a Canadian international friendly without the risk of compromising that player's place in the starting eleven, considering Canada is lower than 100 in the FIFA rankings (currently) and England is in the top 5? Don't quibble the absolute FIFA rankings, it's the relative positions that are relevant to the question.

Canada ranked #104 by FIFA http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?42609-Canada-104th-in-next-FIFA-rankings-worst-ever-spot

England ranked #4.

If you were an aspiring professional footballer with dual nationality and had a good crack at both Canada and England, playing for which country would do most for your career?

It shouldn't matter, playing for your country isn't about money fame or fortune it's about pride.

Though I think being the Best player for a footballing nation is more prestigious than being just another cog in the wheel for a footballing nation, regardless of that countries rank.

and to your second question, probably just as ready, cause a team like Barcelona don't want there stars playing for any country for free whether it's spain england or canada.

It's there money on the line.

Also if Barca, Real, Man United whoever have a player they covet they couldn't care less what nation you are leaving the squad to play for. Why else would Chelsea have kept Drogba around knowing he was gone every 2nd January. Sorry Richard, your argument that playing for England makes him more desirable doesn't hold. Those clubs are looking for the best possible players and couldn't care less if they are from Spain or Papua New Guinea.

Alright, Richard, you seem to want someone to answer your questions. Here goes:

Well, I would represent Canada. That's kind of a silly question. My nationality is not transferable based on the situation, no matter where my parents or grandparents are from. Next question:

Let me pose another question, in all honesty and formal rules aside, how readily would Barcelona, ManU, Real Madrid, Ajax or Bayern Munich release a player for an England international friendly versus a Canadian international friendly without the risk of compromising that player's place in the starting eleven, considering Canada is lower than 100 in the FIFA rankings (currently) and England is in the top 5?

Barcelona and Real Madrid have rosters that are very Spanish, Argentinian and Barzilian. However, as for the other teams you mention:

Ajax: FIFA ranking didn't seem to stop them from signing Icelandic international Kolbeinn Sigþórsson and Moroccan international Mounir El Hamdaoui. Note that Iceland is ranked 122 and Morocco is ranked 63 (95 last September).

Bayern Munich: Even though their squad is very German heavy, they still didn't have a problem signing Austrian international David Alaba. Austria is ranked 73rd and was 105 in 2008.

Manchester United: Even though ManU is heavily laden with players from the UK, they still decided to sign Ecuadorian international Antonio Valencia and Polish international Tomasz Kuszczak. Ecuadr is currently ranked 64 and Poland is 67. Hardly fear-inducing rankings.

That only takes into account the first teamers and not the reserve squads, the kids or African players who have to leave their teams for a month in the middle of the season to play in their regional tournament.

It's sad that people will go bend over backwards to defend someone who is the antithesis of supporting Canadian soccer on a Canadian soccer supporters forum.

I look forward to your follow-up questions.

Canada ranked #104 by FIFA http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?42609-Canada-104th-in-next-FIFA-rankings-worst-ever-spot

England ranked #4.

That would depend on whether I was Canadian, or English. Since I'm Canadian, I'd play for Canada. Not all of us are prostitutes for hire, Richard.

That's a red-herring, not a comparison. Owen Nolan grew up in Canada and was Canadian, and doesn't even remember Northern Ireland which his parents left when he was an infant. The Whore didn't live a day in England. You should learn what an appropriate comparison is, and what a red-herring is, if you are going to confuse the two.

Archived