No, no, a million times, NO.

What Canadian players are available that would improve either TFC or the Caps. There's so much more to bringing in players to MLS clubs, and just cause your Canadian does not mean playing for the Caps or TFC even means anythign to you. None of them grew up Reds fans and I have a strong suspicion very few called the Caps there fav club. It is not as easy as going to the Canadian Abroad list and just picking the ones you want to come home, and then waving a wand then there here. They have uprooted there lives once at least already, have gf's wive's and kids from europe, it's not so easy to just convince these guys to all of sudden say, "Hey we got top flight NA soccer now

here so come home and play in a capped league, just cause it's whats expected of you cause your Canadian."

These clubs will eventually be able to attract these kids back home, but at this point the amount of players wanting to come here are limited, whether they are Canadian or Foriegn, so you take whats gonna improve your club, you play who's

gonna help you win, regardless of passport.

Well yeah, this is kind of what i am saying. If we take the Canadians abroad list and look closely at a host of other factors such as:

1) whether or not they want to uproot themselves

2) whether or not you can give them the money they want and whether their demands reflect their comparative fair value in MLS. For example, Look no further than JDG and how that turned out to see what I mean.

3) Whether they are playing professionally. There is a lot of garbage that is unverifyable on that list of players. Several are not even professionals.

4) Whether they play at an environment or league comparable or better than MLS.

5) whether they address a need and/or whether they are influential components on their clubs.

Now, whats left of that list to choose from? thats the problem. Whenever someone would get released from club overseas, the name would often be suggested as someone who should be a target for MLS. But in some of those instances i would wince at thought doubting that that player would even be an improvement over what was already here. I am not going to name the names of those players in order not to throw this thread off topic.

There were a few Canadians on the team in year one, with NT caps and who were in the national team picture, who were not up to the talent and contribution of one or two americans on the team who were not even or ever have been on the USMNT radar.

That's why my views have evolved on this subject. Canadian talent has to be developed and that is what this league is for, thats what it serves for the americans. The good ones will move on overseas. I use to think that canadian MLS clubs could serve a sort of club core for several national national team members. Sort of like what was tried with the Montreal Manic in the old NASL. Now, i get far more satisfaction seeing a Canadian developed player make it into the lineup.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as the salary cap is in place and so low the best young players will go to Europe. Look at Straith. I was surprised to see that he is making $300k+ a year. Happy for him but surprised. To spend that on a young kid when we spend similar to that on a seasoned vet like Demeritt. That is where Germany's 80-20 split of TV revenues comes in so well.

Until the salary cap goes away the best we can hope for is to develop and sell the early bloomers and keep the late bloomers. They will still be very good players but just not at a young age. This process will take 5 to 10 years if done correctly. With 6-7 million to draw from for TFC, similar for Montreal and 4+ million for the Caps in time we will get more. Look at all the countries with less that those numbers. Yes a lot of other sports will claim a lot of athletes but even if you take 20% of those numbers it will work out for us and our MNT.

Someone posted about him making a very high salary but I don't think it was from a very good source. I strongly doubt he is making that much money right now at Cottbus.

Someone posted about him making a very high salary but I don't think it was from a very good source. I strongly doubt he is making that much money right now at Cottbus.

I was quite surprised by that number myself. It would be interesting to find out what he is really making. If it is anything over 100k (which is likely) then he is making triple what MLS players in his position would make. The only way I could see him making the 300k is that they wanted to lock him up on a long term contract because they already have bigger teams asking about him. They plan to make it all back in the transfer fee. It could also be a front loaded contract. Lots of possibilities.

^^ Cottbus' player salary budget for their first team is about 7 million, or 9.6 million CDN. That works out to about $400 000 CDN per player. However, I would expect that much of the player budget is eaten up by the top players on the team and that a young player like Straith who is alternating between starting, subbing and sitting on the bench would be well below average. I would expect his salary to be in the $100 000 to $200 000 CDN range and more likely towards the lower end of that range. After he broke into the first team they did renegotiate his contract instead of activating the option of his old contract to reward him for his success and keep him longer term. It is this contract which runs to 2013 that he is playing under. I really can't see them giving a guy who is 19 and has just broke in to the first team a $300 000 salary especially since Cottbus is very careful with their money.

^^ Cottbus' player salary budget for their first team is about 7 million, or 9.6 million CDN. That works out to about $400 000 CDN per player. However, I would expect that much of the player budget is eaten up by the top players on the team and that a young player like Straith who is alternating between starting, subbing and sitting on the bench would be well below average. I would expect his salary to be in the $100 000 to $200 000 CDN range and more likely towards the lower end of that range. After he broke into the first team they did renegotiate his contract instead of activating the option of his old contract to reward him for his success and keep him longer term. It is this contract which runs to 2013 that he is playing under. I really can't see them giving a guy who is 19 and has just broke in to the first team a $300 000 salary especially since Cottbus is very careful with their money.

But still Straith even at 100,000-200,000 is more than an MLS club could afford for what he would bring to the table. We have Rochat for that money, and DeMerit for just over that. Straith would have to come down to like 65,000 at least to under 100,000 to work logistically with the cap.

But still Straith even at 100,000-200,000 is more than an MLS club could afford for what he would bring to the table. We have Rochat for that money, and DeMerit for just over that. Straith would have to come down to like 65,000 at least to under 100,000 to work logistically with the cap.

Jakovic is making $180 000 and I think Straith would be a similar level player in MLS with more upside in that he will develop more at his age so I don't think that type of salary for him would be out of line in MLS either. Demerit is guaranteed $350 000 this year which is quite a bit above that and so far is probably less of a bargain at that salary than Straith would be at $150 000. Also while Rochat is making $150 000 this year that is not really an accurate number. He was the player that the Caps did the salary cap trick of signing him and paying him a bonus while they were still in NASL and then loaning him back to his Swiss club. His salary cap salary is $150 000 but if you count his NASL salary his true salary is much higher.

^ The Caps did that with a number of players, I believe. In addition to Rochat, they also reportedly paid Chiumiento and Dunfield a much-heftier-than-normal NASL salary for less than half a season in 2010.

As a TFC fan, I feel I should thank the Caps for that, as we now have Dunfield as a $65,000 player.

Update on O**** H*********

Curtesy of the BBC's rolling sports feed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/9554262.stm

"1806(GMT): FOOTBALL - West Brom boss Roy Hodgson confirms the club's interest in signing midfielder O*** H******* if he proves his fitness, reports Press Association. Hodgson admits Albion's technical and sporting director Dan Ashworth has been in contact with the former Manchester United player. "

Jakovic is making $180 000 and I think Straith would be a similar level player in MLS with more upside in that he will develop more at his age so I don't think that type of salary for him would be out of line in MLS either. Demerit is guaranteed $350 000 this year which is quite a bit above that and so far is probably less of a bargain at that salary than Straith would be at $150 000. Also while Rochat is making $150 000 this year that is not really an accurate number. He was the player that the Caps did the salary cap trick of signing him and paying him a bonus while they were still in NASL and then loaning him back to his Swiss club. His salary cap salary is $150 000 but if you count his NASL salary his true salary is much higher.

^ The Caps did that with a number of players, I believe. In addition to Rochat, they also reportedly paid Chiumiento and Dunfield a much-heftier-than-normal NASL salary for less than half a season in 2010.

As a TFC fan, I feel I should thank the Caps for that, as we now have Dunfield as a $65,000 player.

This is going to be a problem for the whitecaps in the future. The caps tried to be a top team like Seattle did in their first year and they crashed and burned. I have no idea how long some of these contracts are but it might be better for Vancouver to trade some of their better players now while they are on cheap deals for younger players with potential. They obviously won’t be able to re-sign all the talented players they have because of that salary structure, might as well dump one of those contracts and get something for that player.

• 2 weeks later...
This is going to be a problem for the whitecaps in the future. The caps tried to be a top team like Seattle did in their first year and they crashed and burned. I have no idea how long some of these contracts are but it might be better for Vancouver to trade some of their better players now while they are on cheap deals for younger players with potential. They obviously won’t be able to re-sign all the talented players they have because of that salary structure, might as well dump one of those contracts and get something for that player.

Don't think it will be a problem at all. The ones they front loaded Rochat & DC (maybe Camillo) are all fantastic and delivering the goods. They have 2 DP strikers and 2 on the back row that are great and a couple in the middle who are great. Now we need to work in the other players which is already happening with Koffie & Salinas so a bit more depth at the back and we will be okay.

By front loading Rochat and DC they have bought themselves 3 years or more of quality while still under the salary cap.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a bit of a troll on this thread but...

Brett Emmerton and Harry Kewel are returning to Austalia to (more than likley) end their careers at Sydney FC and Melborne Victory (spit) respectivley.

There may be few grumbles about earning their money, and playing (most of) their careers overseas, but not the vitrol the OH gets... Reason? both have played as proud Aussies for all their a careers, even though Kewel, having gone to Leeds at 15 and been the Son of an Englishman, could easily have been in the English Set up.

Saying that Kewel did have to do some hard time during in his career. Imagine Having to Room with a memeber of WESTLIFE!

Missing the point big time. No one on this board has ever had the slightest issue with OH or anyone else "playing (most of) their career overseas".

Missing the point big time. No one on this board has ever had the slightest issue with OH or anyone else "playing (most of) their career overseas".

Yep I'm probably preaching to the Choir. Point I was trying to make was that Kewell didn't need to become "English" to progress his career. even though having similar ancestry would have allowed the same option.

I wikied OH properly for the first time. Now I fully understand the Wales connection. His links to the UK are not as tenuous as I first thought.

*However, still think his declaration to play for Canada on CBC and then end up in a England shirt (without a public statement of "Hey I was there waiting but the CSA didn't want/ shunned me") makes the declaration of whorism quite appropriate .*

Yep I'm probably preaching to the Choir. Point I was trying to make was that Kewell didn't need to become "English" to progress his career. even though having similar ancestry would have allowed the same option.

I wikied OH properly for the first time. Now I fully understand the Wales connection. His links to the UK are not as tenuous as I first thought.

*However, still think his declaration to play for Canada on CBC and then end up in a England shirt (without a public statement of "Hey I was there waiting but the CSA didn't want/ shunned me") makes the declaration of whorism quite appropriate .*

You made a great point.

Plus, I always like Kewell and the Whore is a souless punk.

Archived