No, no, a million times, NO.

I suspect people like Bobby Lenarduzzi are tuned in enough to know what most Voyageurs think about OH. When taken together with the way the Southsiders appeared to be sidelined in the buildup to the inaugral season it suggests rightly or wrongly that they have made the calculation that the online fan culture is not representative of their broader fanbase and not something they need to obsessively cater to.

He knows. He could just care less.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He knows. He could just care less.

Exactly. From: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/lenarduzzi-mls-academies-will-benefit-canada

“People say, ‘Well he’s from Canada, he developed here and he should have played for Canada’, but I never agreed with that,” Lenarduzzi insisted. “I think [**********] made decisions based on what was best for him.

"If, in fact, Canada had a program that would provide him with a good opportunity at an international level, I would have said that he should really seriously consider Canada," he added. "But when he did decide to go play elsewhere, I never blamed him.”

Why the Whitecaps who are playing on fake turf, and will be for the next 4 years, would even consider a 30 year old injury prone player is completely beyond me. His tendonitis will flare up and he will not last. No is my answer. Get someone more durable and preferably younger. I was happy with the DP signing of Jarju as that is the type of player we need, not some injury prone over the hill has-been. There is a huge difference between doing workouts and showing that you are in shape and playing 90 minutes games 30+ times a year especially on fake turf. Just look at the Sounders Kasey Keller's comments about it. They like being on the road because they get to play on grass. Ouch.

Forget about his international choices just look at his health record. This makes no sense. Hopefully he signs with a mid table EPL squad and then he can continue to "feel british" to his hearts content. At least he won't be wasting a DP spot and sucking resources out of the Whitecaps organization.

Hey guys. Several Whoregreaves boosters are trying to make it seem like opinion is overwhelmingly in his support on the Globe and Mail articles comment boards, and this could impact the way it's reported going forward. If you have an account on G&M, or the time to make one, please go and vote-bomb the f*** out of it. Thanks!

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-in-pursuit-of-owen-**********/article2101711/comments/

People who say Toronto FC isn't (English) Canada's team should look what Vancouver is doing. Toronto is making an investment in Canadian soccer (academy to signing a lot of Canadian players or very least giving them a chance through a trial) which Vancouver isn't doing. Vancouver and their stealing Ontario players academy is going to have to invest in Western Canada now since MLS has a regional rights installed now.

MLS has had regional rights since the academies were first launched. Each club is allowed to sign 3 players from outside of their regional boundaries, which Vancouver did this season with Alderson, Cain and Polakiewicz. Prior to joining MLS they had the benefit of swiping Teibert and Cobby straight from our Academy, thankfully that won't happen anymore.

Anyways, your point that they'll have to invest in Western Canada rings true, there are only so many Ontario prospects you can keep convincing to leave home. Soon they'll be competing with FC Edmonton's academy for Alberta kids...gonna have to do something to gain an edge.

I am from the Vancouver area so I naturally cheer for the Whitecaps. But I can't say I really do any longer. When I see no Canadians on the field (or the bench for that matter), Lenarduzzi's bs about not blaming the Whore for not playing for Canada, talk of signing the Whore - it's just too much. It's hard to believe any Canadian spouting that crap, let alone a local hero.

It's hard to believe any Canadian spouting that crap, let alone a local hero.

Aside from Lenarduzzi's immediate VWFC-related self-interest, I think that a large part his lack of recognition of the issue it is that 90 percent of our current and former Nats would have done the same as **********, had they had the chance, and really would have had very little internal conflict over it.

But we and they never really want to acknowledge that - and understandably so.

Hey guys. Several Whoregreaves boosters are trying to make it seem like opinion is overwhelmingly in his support on the Globe and Mail articles comment boards, and this could impact the way it's reported going forward. If you have an account on G&M, or the time to make one, please go and vote-bomb the f*** out of it. Thanks!

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-in-pursuit-of-owen-**********/article2101711/comments/

Best part is if you click on the link, it shows up as all stars at the top of the page too! HHAHAHAHA

Why? If OH can stay uninjured and improve the teams' overall performance then I say go for it. Goodness knows the club could use all the help it can get right now, no matter where it comes from.

If signing him alienates a large minority of the clubs most ardent supporters, who then attend less games and buy less merchandise and concessions, wouldn't that make for a poor business decision?

If signing him alienates a large minority of the clubs most ardent supporters, who then attend less games and buy less merchandise and concessions, wouldn't that make for a poor business decision?

Please don't use business examples in discussions with Richard. Money may be his god but when he claimed that we don't put hiring restrictions on foreign workers in any other businesses he showed he knows even less about business and commerce than he does about soccer.

Please don't use business examples in discussions with Richard. Money may be his god but when he claimed that we don't put hiring restrictions on foreign workers in any other businesses he showed he knows even less about business and commerce than he does about soccer.

Hell even though the Charter has freedom of movement within Canada. Trades Unions have managed to restrict movement between provinces by certification.

OH is certified to play in the UK.........maybe the Blue Square Premiership :)

Saw this in another blog off this site on this issue by a certain "unregistered". Made me laugh and I just have to share it with the rest of you.

"1) 30 years old

2) tendonitis & injury prone

3) fake turf at Empire & BC Place

4) rugged MLS league

==

One completely injured and career ended OH.

What more could any Voyageur want to see? "

Unregistered I like the way you think :)

everyone deserves a second chance and come on hes canadian and has skill look at this...

Nobody said he doesn't have skill.

But he turned his back on his country and used the grand-mother clause.

Imagine if Crosby or Luongo or Kayria did that?

No different, he wants to play for England.....stay there.

Benedict Arnold is seen as the great US traitor.....we view him as an United Empire Loyalist.

Take your pick

I wonder if the Whitecaps head office were to read this thread, if it would change their mind. As bad as this is, Canadian soccer could use a little controversy and press. No signings have done through so I'm not getting worried yet, mind you, I'm a TFC fan.

I find it ironic that vitriol is being spewed towards OH from folks quite content to allow their club sides put out foreign sides, and rationalize it away with supposed future benefits to Canadian soccer (sounds like the OH apologists who spoke of the good things to come for Canadian soccer by the ********** defection). OH sold out Canadian Soccer for fame, millions of pounds, a chance to play in the WC, and Birds (or Blokes depending upon which way he swings). As far as I am concerned, some posters have sold out so as to be able to see Ty ****ing Hardin and Jonathon ****ing Leathers (weird that they have the same middle name) play every Saturday. I will admit that I have been having a bit of fun making up clever little user names incorporating the words "dirty crack ho".

That said, I could care less what the hell happens to either the Whitecaps or OH.

If that really happens (which I doubt, it would probably just give rise to a somewhat livelier Southside) and it can be linked with little doubt to OH's inclusion on the squad, then the club would have to assess the impact on ticket sales (which could go either way, my own sense is the the OH haters who would actually turn in their tickets and not attend MLS games in Vancouver are a relatively small minority) and either decide to release him ar ride it out. I suspect it would be the latter. All would be contingent upon OH making a meterial impact on team performance but then that applies to any new mature player signing really.

I wonder if the Whitecaps head office were to read this thread, if it would change their mind. As bad as this is, Canadian soccer could use a little controversy and press. No signings have done through so I'm not getting worried yet, mind you, I'm a TFC fan.

Ummmm no.

I emailed Bob Lenarduzzi, Paul Barber and Rachel Lewis about Jeff Mallett's comments and I received a response from Mr. Barber within a couple hours.

Here's my email;

"Hello,

My name is Matt Serson, I'm a proud Canadian soccer fan living in Ottawa. This year it has been pure delight watching the Vancouver Whitecaps FC enter MLS despite the teams current struggles. I consider myself a Caps fan and just recently bought a jersey. Unfortunately I will no longer be able to support your organization if it continues to pursue Owen **********. As you know Mr. ********** made a tough decision as a young adult that deeply affected the hearts and minds of Canadian soccer fans. Although I respect Mr. ********** decision, I do not agree with it and I could not bring myself to cheer for him as a member of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

You saw the way your hometown fans reacted when Sporting Kansas City visited Empire Field this year, imagine how they would feel if they saw Owen ********** in Caps jersey.

Cheers,

Matt Serson"

And here is Mr. Barber's response;

"Dear Matt

Thanks for your e-mail and views.

I guess I'm more than slightly conflicted here as an Englishman, living and working in Canada, and leading the Whitecaps.

I've been fortunate enough to work and spend time with Owen in one of my previous roles with the England national team.

Canada's "loss" was certainly England's "gain". Owen is a fine young man, a top class athlete, and, on his day, one of the world's best midfielders.

I also know Owen returns to Canada whenever the opportunity arises and is very proud indeed of his Canadian connections.

The clue to why we might be interested in Owen is of course that Canadian connection but importantly his abilities as a footballer. We are always interested in top class players if we believe we can attract them.

We need to inspire young players and grow the game here, improve the quality of our Club, our League and the game of soccer across North America. Players of Owen's calibre and profilecan do all those things.

I appreciate that, speaking as an Englishman, the sensitivity of Owen's decision to play for the country of my birth and not Canada is less acute, but I genuinely believe that we must respect everyone's personal decision making and their reasons for opting for one path over another.

If we were fortunate enough to secure Owen's services in the future, I have no doubt that he would serve us and our sport in this country with great pride and diligence.

Kind regards, Paul

Sent from my iPhone"

Archived