Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe its just on the Official app that i am always on. It has him listed as being on the active roster.

Weird. I'm going to guess it's a mistake because they would have officially announced his signing - they always announce any signing no matter the stature of the player.

Ademolu is on trial at his old club Trelleborgs, who are currently third bottom in the second tier of Swedish football:

http://www.trelleborgsff.se/nyhet?n=stephen-ademolu-provtranar-med-tff

Says he was on trial in Greece and Cyprus and that Kenny Stamatopoulos tipped him off that the Swedish club were looking for a striker. Also confirms that he couldn't get a work visa to play for Atlanta in NASL.

Probably keeping his fitness up. If he signed with Vancouver he'd probably be no further up the depth chart then at Union Berlin...and of course they'd have to trade for his rights...

Very likely, but still, it's good to just have news at this point. Plus there's always the possibility of a miracle; depending on the circumstances, Rennie might prefer Attakora to the international Mitchell and Attakora might just want to get on a roster. But I agree you're very probably right.

Ledgerwood is likely to get some action this Saturday for Hammarby vs. Umeå in the Swedish Superetta (tier 2). It'll be his first first-team action since signing with the club. He hadn't been eligible to play until Aug 1, but has seen time with the U21 team.

I'll be attending the match and plan to write-up a short report (maybe a pic or two) on the "Canadians Abroad:Aug 3-10" thread.

EDIT: Here's a interview from mid-july after he'd seen his first U21 game action: http://youtu.be/CYM7T-USKHc

Probably keeping his fitness up. If he signed with Vancouver he'd probably be no further up the depth chart then at Union Berlin...and of course they'd have to trade for his rights...

Yes the coach said he was just doing fitness training with them before he goes to Europe. When asked if the Caps were looking to sign him he said no because San Jose still had the MLS rights.

Makes you wonder what San Jose offered that Nana didn't like? Too little $$, too much length (5 years?), combo thereof?

The Gyorio's and Attakora's of the world who are marginal MLS talents are going to have to either accept reality at some point or just leave the game. I'm sure it is not the greatest to get paid $35-45k a year (although not horrible for someone in their early twenties), but you get a shot at being a professional player in a place where you understand the language and fit into the culture. Players in baseball and hockey have to fight their way through the minors, there's no reason soccer players, with a lot less money in the system, should be any different.

Unless you are a superior talent, your alternative is just going bouncing around the secondary European leagues, where no one gives a crap about you, and there are issues with language, race, work permits and getting paid. Stuart Holden and Chris Wondolowski were not making too much more a a few years ago and look where they are now. It's a matter of how much you really want to be a professional. Hell, people intern for free to try and get coveted gigs in the media world, it's time some of these players who are turning down low-level MLS contracts to take a bit of a risk and a chance on themselves rather than holding on to the unlikely dream that some big money European club is going to snatch them up.

The Gyorio's and Attakora's of the world who are marginal MLS talents are going to have to either accept reality at some point or just leave the game. I'm sure it is not the greatest to get paid $35-45k a year (although not horrible for someone in their early twenties), but you get a shot at being a professional player in a place where you understand the language and fit into the culture. Players in baseball and hockey have to fight their way through the minors, there's no reason soccer players, with a lot less money in the system, should be any different.

Unless you are a superior talent, your alternative is just going bouncing around the secondary European leagues, where no one gives a crap about you, and there are issues with language, race, work permits and getting paid. Stuart Holden and Chris Wondolowski were not making too much more a a few years ago and look where they are now. It's a matter of how much you really want to be a professional. Hell, people intern for free to try and get coveted gigs in the media world, it's time some of these players who are turning down low-level MLS contracts to take a bit of a risk and a chance on themselves rather than holding on to the unlikely dream that some big money European club is going to snatch them up.

Couldn't agree with you more, though I don't know much about Gyorio, I have a feeling he's maybe decided not to play pro any more.

As for Nana, as I've stated elsewhere, I think his biggest barrier is his over-inflated impression of himself.

Couldn't agree with you more, though I don't know much about Gyorio, I have a feeling he's maybe decided not to play pro any more.

As for Nana, as I've stated elsewhere, I think his biggest barrier is his over-inflated impression of himself.

Yeah but that could still be based on heresy...we still don't know ALL the details of Union Berlin, right, and why he made the choices he did...a lot of it could be just our assumption, until someone actually sits down and interviews him. Unless you are referring to an interview or something I didn't know about, which is possible.

very well said.

many canadian players don't understand what it takes to make it as a pro. it is resaonbly easy to get a 1st contract....the challenge for so many Canadians is getting a club to offer a 2nd one. Clubs are looking for far more than just talent. They want attitude, discipline, hunger, intelligence, etc.... because lots of people possess talent and technical ability. In today's soccer industry, with so many players looking for a stable club setup, the competition for roster spots, from 1st divisions all the way down to semi-pro, is fierce.

Ademolu is on trial at his old club Trelleborgs, who are currently third bottom in the second tier of Swedish football:

http://www.trelleborgsff.se/nyhet?n=stephen-ademolu-provtranar-med-tff

Says he was on trial in Greece and Cyprus and that Kenny Stamatopoulos tipped him off that the Swedish club were looking for a striker. Also confirms that he couldn't get a work visa to play for Atlanta in NASL.

Evidently nothing came to fruition in Europe: http://www.canada.com/sports/Stars+striker+Ademolu+suspended+three+games/7084590/story.html

Windsor Stars striker Stephen Ademolu was handed a three-game suspension by the Canadian Soccer League for an altercation with a Montreal Impact player.

Ademolu received a red card during the second half of Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Montreal after being involved in a scuffle with an Impact player.

Stars manager Steve Vagnini said the team launched an appeal and has already sent video footage of the altercation to the Canadian Soccer League.

“Losing Steve is huge,” Stars head coach Steve Vagnini said.

The altercation began when Stars midfielder Emilio Girogi was pulled down by a Montreal player. Ademolu is seen running to the defence of his teammate just as an Impact player falls to the ground.

Ademolu, who is eligible to return Sept. 2 when the Stars face Brampton City, had just returned from a monthlong tryout with professional clubs in Greece and Germany.

http://www.canada.com/sports/Stars+striker+Ademolu+suspended+three+games/7084590/story.html

Looks like Stillo is back with Genoa as the second GK.

http://www.genoacfc.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15159&Itemid=31

That's the squad list for a friendly, not the entire Genoa squad. They're missing a lot of first team players and some of the Primavera have been called up. Chances are that Greek international Tzorvas will be the backup, but we'll find out for sure this coming weekend.

http://www.genoacfc.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15194&Itemid=31

Note: Mattia Perin who was on loan at Pescara and backstopped them to promotion to Serie A last year is still under contract with Genoa. He was called up by the Italian NT to play England last Wednesday.

edit: Perin was on loan at Padova in Serie B last year. He is now on loan at Pescara as of this summer.

That's the squad list for a friendly, not the entire Genoa squad. They're missing a lot of first team players and some of the Primavera have been called up. Chances are that Greek international Tzorvas will be the backup, but we'll find out for sure this coming weekend.

http://www.genoacfc.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15194&Itemid=31

Note: Mattia Perin who was on loan at Pescara and backstopped them to promotion to Serie A last year is still under contract with Genoa. He was called up by the Italian NT to play England last Wednesday.

I think he has to either get loaned out or bought by a Serie B club at some point if we are going to cap him. Sounds like he is still 3rd or 4th in the pecking order. The bare minimum to warrant a call would be for him to be 2nd choice and get an odd Seria A game or Coppa Italia game. Baring that, he needs to get significant playing time with a Serie B club, because any lower of a level will not get him a call I am afraid.

For those in the know, does he have a chance at 2nd keeper? And if not is there talk of a loan, or is the plan for him to play with the reserves?

Archived