Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bellisomo mentioned here in Ben Massey's article:

"Reportedly, former Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder/centre back and 2010 Eighty Six Forever MVP Luca Bellisomo, after his contract in Finland expired, inquired to FC Edmonton but was told outright that they were set at centre back. Those of us who have watched the non-Hamilton-and-Rago part of Edmonton's defense are permitted to laugh bitterly."

Pity he didn't catch on with an NASL club after leaving Finland.

http://www.eightysixforever.com/2012/7/19/3170181/last-place-fc-edmonton-extends-head-coach-harry-sinkgraven

Jordan Santiago is training with West Ham and played in a West Ham XI this week vs Thurrock FC:

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142162&start=0

21 Jul image_normal.jpg

Jordan Santiago ‏@jordansantiag0 @danmullins86 not signed anywhere at the moment yet but training and staying in shape at west ham fc.

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/sport/9830969.Thurrock_trialists_lose_out_to_young_Hammers/

Reda "le lion du Grand Nord" Agourram is apparently trialing with French Lg 2 side Clermont Foot:

http://www.marocfootball.info/transferts/10206-reda-agourram-a-lessai-a-clermont-foot.html

"En revanche, Redan Agourram, l'attaquant surnommé " le lion du Grand Nord " a été transparent. Totalement " à la rue " physiquement, le Marocain du Québec a fait de la figuration dans une équipe jouant alors une mi-temps à dix… Après Qasmi, il n'est pas le talent recherché en pointe. Lacombe a montré aussi ses limites actuelles quand il n'a pas le ballon dans les pieds. Là aussi, c'est une question de temps pour un garçon qui, au regard de sa justesse technique, devrait vite apporter son écot. "

http://www.lamontagne.fr/auvergne/sports/actualite/football/2012/07/05/arles-avignon-et-clermont-se-neutralisent-0-0-1214224.html

Ottawa can't join NASL soon enough and hopefully Hamilton will follow soon after... A lot of these MIA/UI guys could use another team or two in Canada. If Ottawa signs a similar number of Canadians as Edmonton that'd be 16-18 extra roster spots for unemployed Canadian players! I know NASL isn't exactly European top tier or anything but at least they'd be able to stay fit by playing somewhere!

Ottawa can't join NASL soon enough and hopefully Hamilton will follow soon after... A lot of these MIA/UI guys could use another team or two in Canada. If Ottawa signs a similar number of Canadians as Edmonton that'd be 16-18 extra roster spots for unemployed Canadian players! I know NASL isn't exactly European top tier or anything but at least they'd be able to stay fit by playing somewhere!

And would prevent a lot of younger players (20-24) from falling out of the system prematurely. It's one thing for guys in their mid-to-late 20's hanging them up because they couldn't cut it, but for a young man giving up his dream because there's nowhere to play in his home country is just sad.

Reda "le lion du Grand Nord" Agourram is apparently trialing with French Lg 2 side Clermont Foot:

http://www.marocfootball.info/transferts/10206-reda-agourram-a-lessai-a-clermont-foot.html

"En revanche, Redan Agourram, l'attaquant surnommé " le lion du Grand Nord " a été transparent. Totalement " à la rue " physiquement, le Marocain du Québec a fait de la figuration dans une équipe jouant alors une mi-temps à dix… Après Qasmi, il n'est pas le talent recherché en pointe. Lacombe a montré aussi ses limites actuelles quand il n'a pas le ballon dans les pieds. Là aussi, c'est une question de temps pour un garçon qui, au regard de sa justesse technique, devrait vite apporter son écot. "

http://www.lamontagne.fr/auvergne/sports/actualite/football/2012/07/05/arles-avignon-et-clermont-se-neutralisent-0-0-1214224.html

He did'nt stick with Clermont,, he twitted last week-end that he was in Morrocco.

If they are missing in action, then they are probably of little value to the NASL . We are not talking about 18-20 year olds here. The players being discussed here are mid twenties and one maybe in his thirties of close to thirty. They are not likely on the radar for the National teams anymore. More pro clubs should mean new opportunities for new talent, uncovering new talent, developing new talent.. Etc so that we increase the pool of available players to the national team (youth or senior sides) coaches. I dont agree nor do i see the value in giving spots to players on nothing more than just the fact that they are Canadian. I want to see spots given to Canadian who have promising future. I would rather see an Ottawa or Hamilton clubs go with foriegners who can help the team win instead given a spot to canadian who is not on the NT radar or wont be.

Edit: Stephen Ademolu will turn thirty this year.

If they are missing in action, then they are probably of little value to the NASL . We are not talking about 18-20 year olds here. The players being discussed here are mid twenties and one maybe in his thirties of close to thirty. They are not likely on the radar for the National teams anymore. More pro clubs should mean new opportunities for new talent, uncovering new talent, developing new talent.. Etc so that we increase the pool of available players to the national team (youth or senior sides) coaches. I dont agree nor do i see the value in giving spots to players on nothing more than just the fact that they are Canadian. I want to see spots given to Canadian who have promising future. I would rather see an Ottawa or Hamilton clubs go with foriegners who can help the team win instead given a spot to canadian who is not on the NT radar or wont be.

I disagree in terms of wanting to see Ottawa go with that type of a system. But I agree, if Canadians are going to play on a team, they should deserve to be there. But my argument along with others is that there are a lot of those Canadian players who at the least deserve to play at NASL level rather than flushed down the toilet.

There are a lot of Canadian players MIA who are good enough to play NASL if we had more teams. It is good for Canadian soccer if players in their mid to late 20s early 30s can still make a living playing even if they never join the national team. Indeed decent players in their mid to late 20s early 30s with no chance of playing for their national team describes the majority of players in almost any league in the world. At NASL wages/budgets you are not going to be able to stock teams with older foreigners who are better than many of the decent Canadians who are out of work/retired for lack of opportunity. Who would want to watch a league like that anyway even if you had the millions to do it? It sounds like some scheme from a rich Arabic country run by an emir whose teams don't have fans. Just on the Impact alone I can think of many decent players who recently retired and took coaching jobs with the Impact or local soccer clubs because there was no alternative even though they were perfectly able to play a few more years at NASL level. A good second tier for Canadian soccer will have mostly Canadian players of all playing ages contributing to the development of the game in Canada whether they make it to the national team or not. Eventually our MLS teams should be like that also.

Actually, looking at the past few pages and some of the other "MIA" type threads, there are more players in their early-20's out of jobs than there are in their late-20's.

Redan Agourram (90)

Jordan Santiago (91)

Niall Cousens (91)

Ethan Gage (91)

Nana Attakora (89)

Josh Janniere (92)

Mozzi Gyorio (89)

All of those players have the capability of contributing to the MNT at some point, if they had an NASL club to fall back on they might be able to get their careers back on track and eventually end up in MLS or Europe. Look at Philippe Davies (90), he had to take a job in third tier USL Pro! There has to be a better alternative than that.

just to be clear, in my post above, i was referring specifically to players like Ademolu and Agguram. not players like the ones in the list above who are still in their early twenties.

all we can ask from the clubs is that Cnds be given opportunities and a fair shot.

There are a lot of Canadian players MIA who are good enough to play NASL if we had more teams. It is good for Canadian soccer if players in their mid to late 20s early 30s can still make a living playing even if they never join the national team. Indeed decent players in their mid to late 20s early 30s with no chance of playing for their national team describes the majority of players in almost any league in the world. At NASL wages/budgets you are not going to be able to stock teams with older foreigners who are better than many of the decent Canadians who are out of work/retired for lack of opportunity. Who would want to watch a league like that anyway even if you had the millions to do it? It sounds like some scheme from a rich Arabic country run by an emir whose teams don't have fans. Just on the Impact alone I can think of many decent players who recently retired and took coaching jobs with the Impact or local soccer clubs because there was no alternative even though they were perfectly able to play a few more years at NASL level. A good second tier for Canadian soccer will have mostly Canadian players of all playing ages contributing to the development of the game in Canada whether they make it to the national team or not. Eventually our MLS teams should be like that also.

Right. Also, I'd like to think that if we grow depth through the MLS teams deploying Canadian talent, and NASL guys eventually working hard to become MLS guys (not so much the mid twenties + guys you are referring to, but the younger talent that they are actually helping to develop)...I'd like to think these factors would make getting a spot on the national team more competitive. Right now, it feels like "Oh, you're Canadian? Sure, come on in!" All love to Ledgerwood and he played great, but even England's team didn't even have guys on it past the top 5 teams in England. We have in the past absolutely drooled over Jackson, and the prospect of him playing in the Premiership. There's a better player than Jackson on that team by the name of Grant Holt, and much to my disbelief he got snubbed for England for Euro 2012.

I'm not saying we need guys only in top flight worldwide...I AM saying we need more depth.

just to be clear, in my post above, i was referring specifically to players like Ademolu and Agguram. not players like the ones in the list above who are still in their early twenties.

all we can ask from the clubs is that Cnds be given opportunities and a fair shot.

Not to nit-pick, but Agourram turns 22 in December.

Sometimes an older player like a GK is nice to have playing in a league like NASL as well. I wish Josh Wagenaar had had somewhere to turn to before he retired to coach at the age of 25, or a guy like Brian(?) Rowland who did the same at age 29 after toiling with CP Baltimore in USL Pro for a few years.

I can confirm he's been playing and training with TFC Academy, Danny Dichio himself told me it was the same guy and in case your interested he also confirmed to me that the senior academy squad is no longer going to be a stringent U-18 or U-19.

This is just personal speculation but I believe it's because the academy usually sees enough players to graduate a few every 2nd year, it also means every other year the team would get cleaned off and struggle to be competitive (which would make the standouts on the weak years graduate ungloriously). This year their obviously not worried about talent (maybe in september) but next year, after a few kids graduate I don't think they'd want a repeat of the Vukovic with the one's who don't move on to TFC and instead keep a few to surround the younger guys who will be back next year with a more competitive squad.

I think that might be uber confusing so basically I think they are going to keep around a few more guys and add a few more overagers (probably young still) next year so they can avoid a bad season if a lot of their top guys move on (probable).

Archived