GC - July 3 - Canada vs Jamaica (R)

loyola

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed most of the first half, but I'm really surprised at all the positive comments directed towards Jakovic. In the few DC United games I've seen he has failed to impress and in one match against Seattle he was, without question, the worse player on the field. Getting caught out of position multiple times.

But he's still young, so hopefully tonight is a sign of good things to come.

While I'm not going to jump for joy for Stephen Hart (never fancied him as a coach) one thing can be said, and that was SO obvious today. His game plan, and the team's shape was SIMPLE. The key to success...a SIMPLE game plan and structure. Not a bunch of players out of positions, wondering what their role is...but a cohesive unit. I think this is why the players like Hart...he makes their jobs easier.

quote:Originally posted by gator

^ He played well against TFC in the only MLS game I've seen him in!

Missed the Toronto game. He must be doing something to hold down his CB spot at DC (he's playing alone at CB in the 3-5-2), but it was missing in the few games I've seen.

Just got back in from Canada - Jamaica. Wooooooo.

Jakovic looked absolutely brilliant from the supporters' section: hardly put a foot wrong and made some vital challenges. Stalteri was also magnificent among the veterans.

Most of our problems were in midfield: Johnson was good, Simpson was great, but the rest weren't putting in their best game. Still, we got the three points and Ali G is one closer to Mitchell and Catliff.

Also, the El Salvadorian support was immense. We Canadians weren't too bad - we certainly dwarfed the Jamaican contingent and I chatted to my share of Canada fans outside the Voyageurs section. But El Salvador stole the show, no doubt about it.

The one real low-light was the performance of stadium security. Despite getting preclearance for River City's banners (from the CSA) and my camera (from CONCACAF), we had a real fight on our hands getting our stuff into the stadium. Then we had another fight on our hands putting it up. Then a security guy came over and told us to stop standing up. Then another security guy came over and gave River City grief about his whistle. A few of the individuals were great but as a unit the Home Depot Center was a shambles.

Hey Bob....Glad to hear from Yah...you guys made it on the screen quite a few times. The El Salvadorians did seem to come out in full force. I hope they stay home in Columbus...We'll seen soon enough buddy...See you in a couple day.s

Oh, Raz, your and BrennanFan's Vs scarves are currently in superbrad's hired truck. For a variety of reasons* I couldn't get them to my hotel room tonight, but I'll grab 'em and you'll have them in Columbus.

I also have River City's hockey bag full of Voyageurs banners, so we should be good to go.

* - I'm cheap.

Watched the first half live and had to watch the second half on tape delay, not a pretty win but man what a strike by Ali!

This man is going to be Canada's all-time goal scoring leader in short order! He just seems to get better and more efficient with his goalscoring. Does nothing for large stretches then BAM! it's in the net.

Speaking as a TFC fan, Ali will be a huge help in the push for the playoffs and the CCL.

El Salvador started out strong against Costa Rica but ran out of gas in the 2nd half, faded badly and were holding on for dear life against a fairly content Tico side. But some brutal defending by Costa Rica late allowed El Salvador a somewhat undeserved victory (and Costa Rica's defending on the first ES goal was also pretty crap). I like our chances against them on Tuesday.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

El Salvador started out strong against Costa Rica but ran out of gas in the 2nd half, faded badly and were holding on for dear life against a fairly content Tico side. But some brutal defending by Costa Rica late allowed El Salvador a somewhat undeserved victory (and Costa Rica's defending on the first ES goal was also pretty crap). I like our chances against them on Tuesday.

Tuesdays match is huge now! We don't want to be in need of points vs. a Costa Rica team in need of points.

Great meeting a few new guys at the Vancouver meet-up.

Hart. Jakovic, Johnson and, to a lesser extent, Jackson, all earned lot of respect in my eye. I thought Jakovic and Johnson were our two most impressive and valuable players out there. Johnson did a lot of the things that Hume does - a sparkplug for the team, quite fast and feisty, and he takes decent free kicks as well. Jakovic played at least as well as Serioux in his best Canada form, and with Hainault and Edgar waiting in wings we are suddenly very deep in CB. Klukowski sure specializes in those long crosses from one corner of the half to the other. He also is strong and fast enough to be a lock on that LB position for some time to come.

I thought DeJong was invisible and was happy to see Simpson come in for him. Simpson didn't show anything we haven't seen before, and I wonder if he has honed his skills that much since last we saw him. Good, but not great, IMHO. Speedy mids who can be used down the wings have been in short supply for Canada but we suddenly have healthy Simpson, Nakajima, possibly Peters (although I'm not sold on the "second coming" just yet), DDR, and even dusty Radz.

YNWA and I talked about how Hart and Gerba have such similarities in their unlikely rises to this current stage. Neither excited me at first and both look insufficient on paper until they just keep racking up results on the pitch. I think if we had Friend here, Hart would have had some headaches to deal with, especially since it's hard not to keep going with Gerba when he just keeps scoring. Jackson showed a lot of speed and creativity and should be fun to have off the bench - maybe our new supersub?

I think we are sorely missing more creativity and control in the middle of the pith. During a few stretches of the first half, we actually strung together quite a few passes and looked sharp and in control, but after that we fell completely flat, with Gerba left out too alone in front. Jamaica marked Julian quite tight, sometimes two at a time, but, even so, he is our best player and he still didn't really take charge on a night (without DDR) when he should really have been running the engine. Bernier made many poor passes and must surely be looking at his final days with the nats. Pity Imhof isn't here to show him how it is done. IIRC, Ledgerwood could also fill his position as a defensive mid, especially on the right side. Too bad he's not here.

McKenna is still is a work in progress and, similar to Simpson, doesn't look all that much better than last time I had a long look at him. Diesel held his own. Hutch was his usual fairly calm, useful, and almost invisible self. I just wish we could see him stamp his authority on a game from time to time. He plays with such great overall skill, and I think we just need him to come out of his shell a bit - maybe some more freedom to be mobile in mid might help n a day like today when Julian can't seem to find the space, maybe play off of each other more. Sutton had a flub or two but came up strong a couple of times and hopefully will earn a paycheque in MLS with his performance.

If we are going all out on Tuesday, (and why shouldn't we, at this point?) then I'd like to see Simpson (subbed by Jackson) for DeJong attacking down the wing, and Johnson (subbed by Nakajima) down the other side. Let Attiba (RDM) and perhaps DeJong (LDM) clean up in front of the CBs. I really like how Jakovic looked at the back next to McKenna, but he could also come forward and take that LDM spot and be replaced by Hainault if we were securing a two goal lead or in need of a couple of goals. Of course, I am presuming we will start one striker again in our current most typical formation, but with our current personnel we look just as good in a 4-4-2 with Jackson/Johnson doing second striking duty.

Great result, nice to beat arch-rivals, but lots of improvement will be needed in the days ahead. Go Red!!

Having watched the match live, I thought Canada was fortunate to come away with three points. I was expecting a draw until Ali popped that one in.

Classic Ali Gerba performance. Quiet all game but emphatic when it counts.

Jackson, Johnson and Jakovic...well...the next generation is ready.

Sutton with a solid performance other than his kicking/distribution, which is reassuring to see.

And despite a lack of flash, De Guzman - Hutchinson - Bernier in the middle were engines for the team. Special mention to Hutchinson for strong work at the back.

And the back-line was rock solid. Though none of them are exactly Usain Bolt material. But if they were able to contain a fast Jamaican team, they should be ok with most at this tournament.

Also guys, for anybody who missed the info, there is video footage of de Guzman, Stalteri, Jackson, Johnson, Jakovic, Sutton, Hart and Gerba available at www.youtube.com/thevoyageurs

Great result for Canada! Long live Stephen Hart!

Archived