GC - July 3 - Canada vs Jamaica (R)

loyola

Great substitution by Hart bringing Jackson in. He fought hard for a ball near midfield just a few touches before the goal.

Good first game for Canada. I'm hoping for a bit more out of De Guzman going forward, looked to only be giving it 75%. Was also a little nervous with some of the passes Bernier was making, a couple times there was nobody there. Hutch and Big Kev played great and Sutton came through when we needed him.

Edit: Impressed by Jakovic as well, very steady back there.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ali - Bumaye!

Ali - Bumaye!

I don't know how he does it, but Ali has a natural knack for finding the back of the net. That volley was brilliant! He will surpass Mitchell, I have no doubt about that.

While it was nerve racking, we played a much more structured game than in Toronto, and it paid off. Our center backs looked a little slow compared to the speedy boyz, but Suts came up HUGE for us. If he could clean up his distribution and clearances, Suts would be our #1 (I still vote Hirsch though).

quote:Originally posted by Miche

woohoo!

sloppy game, but now a win against El Salvador and we're through!

That would mean four wins on the trot. What is Canada's longest win streak and unbeaten run, anyone know?

Julian wasn't the catalyst tonight but to see a Canadian team respond with their Marquee player shadowed and out of sorts was very inspiring. Atiba did an amazing job of spraying the ball and organizing the build up.

I see Simpson or Jackson starting the next match and possibly Dejong getting the start behind them at LCM.

The CB's lack make up speed but played aerial balls and angles well.

As fan who never saw the Holger era, seeing Hart composed and confident on the sideline was a big boost

I was especially impressed by our subs. They all contributed in their own way and played great. JDG looked a tad rusty but he'll shake it off. The Boyz also looked uncharacteristically sluggish in some parts of their game. Maybe it was the travel difficulties that were mentioned.

Anyway it is 3 points for us! Onward to El Salvador.

Johnson was really good I was really impressed! Exactly what I hoped he would be like. He has a great work rate

Jakovic had a couple miscues but was solid. Strange to see a guy like that suddenly starting for Canada from not even being a U20 to suddenly U23 surprise to MNT starter.

McKenna, what a header of the ball he is wow. Effortless.

Simpson needs to start next match, De Jong is more suited to a defensive style and Simpson is a great creative player.

I think Jackson should be given some more time out there next match. Give him around 35 minutes.

Thank you Ali! We didn't really deserve the 3 points tonight, but it is great to see us get a result when we don't play 100%. Our midfield play, which was supposed to be a foundation, needs to improve. De Guzman was awful tonight and Bernier did not give me any kind of confidence. Simpson had a great first 2 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, but not much else except for some good defending in the last 5 minutes. Still, he did better than DeJong. I was hoping to see the same Hutch from 2007, but I don't think he looked that great tonight either. Need more hustle and better linking from the midfield.

quote:I think Jackson should be given some more time out there next match. Give him around 35 minutes.

I agree Keep Jackson as a Super Sub for now let Gerba pound the tiny (none taller then 5'8)E.S CB and then throw on Jackson to change the pace midway throught the second half.

Good win. Nice way to start the tourney. I applaud the boys and good work by Hart.

Only watched 30 mins (2nd half) but I liked a lot of things that I saw.

Nice save by Sutton on the clear chance for Jah.

Jackson really impressed in his short time on the field. He made a very key pass under pressure at midfield that ultimately led to Kluka getting the ball on the wing and making the cross to Ali for the golazo.

Gerba really has a knack for finishing and he really came alive after the goal, fighting for loose balls and almost getting onto that pass from Jackson.

McKenna was very good. Jakovic impressed in the 30 minutes I watched.

Simpson did a few good things.

Its a good night when everyone not named Julian or Atiba did a good job and those 2 guys were just ok contributors.

Looking forward to El Salvador on Tuesday

Defensive mid might the best spot for JDG in La Liga, but for us he should be the Attacking mid. Can't remember if Imhof is with the team, but if he is drop Bernier for him to play the DM role. Push Atiba out wide or have him play off JDG in the 4-5-1. As others have already mentioned, start someone like simpson out wide on the wing.

Let's not forget Issey in this discusion.

I complained about the early attendance, the stadium was sure filling up as the game went on, all for the second match, at least they added some atmosphere! This was our first real win since the Gold Cup 2 years ago, it's good to win one once in awhile, let's see where we can go with this group of players!

This was definitely a good start for the new group. I am going to be patient with this group as we have to look long-term. I gotta say that Jackson has got a spring in his step. I really like what I saw in him and Ali is a beast.

Archived